What cable do I need to use TV as monitor?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by gardner18, Apr 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. gardner18

gardner18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just ordered a SAMSUNG LE23R71BX 23" LCD tv which should turn up next week.

I was quite interested in it's ability to be used as a monitor however as I don't have much technical knowledge in this area i'm a bit confused as to what cable I will need.

I'm current using an Acer Aspire 1640Z which doesn't seem to actually have that many comm ports. Other then USB it only has one other port which I think is a series port of some sort (it is about 2 cm across and has three rows of 5 pin slots). Looking at the specs of the tv is says it has an 'S Video' slot.

Any help in what I need to buy would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if i haven't included enough information.

p.s If my existing ports aren't compatible would i be able to buy a pc card slot of some sort?

2. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Bawtry nr. Doncaster / Wiesbaden (Germany)
    Ratings:
    +72
    hiya,

from what I can see on the net your notebook has a VGA output, which is usually a blue coloured connection point, looks like a com port. The Samsung seems to have a so called d-sub connection (which also is the standard blue connection point), so you'd just need a standard monitor connection cable. It will have pins on both connectors.
    On the laptop you'll probably have the option to make some settings for the second monitor once it is attached. You can usually activate on the notebook, or it may be recognised automatically once you attach the Samsung.

Simon