• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What budget floorstanders?

H

hardtofollow

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this game and just got my first system set up. Got Cambridge Audio Azur 640 A and 640 C V2 and Pacific interconnect, and a pair of MS 902i speakers with some gale speaker stands. The room i've got is fairly big though and I'd quite like to get some floorstanders and use the 902i as satellites.

what would you suggest? I can probably stretch to £400 but would prefer to keep it under £300.

thanks for reading,

stu

happyhomer

If you're happy with the sound that you get from the 902i's, then I'd strongly recommend the MS906i's. The rrp is £350, but if you search around you should be able to get them for less. I replaced my 902's with 906's and the improvement was a lot more than I expected.

H

hardtofollow

I am happy with the 902i's but i did get them in the first place because they came in a package from RS so it wasn't as if i chose them above any other speaker. Is it very important to stay with the same brand and series of speakers?

If i got a pair of AE Evo 3's or Mission M35's would they not 'match up' with the rest of the system. sorry if these questions are amateurish, im on a steep learning curve!

G

gallium

Another one to try would be the smaller Dali Suites (bit more expensive than the MS 906 though) or you could try the cheaper Dali Concept 6s which are pretty good bang for buck.

I still have my MS 906s and for the money, the'ye one of the better floorstanders out there.

happyhomer

It's not really vital to match fronts and surrounds, but it certainly does no harm. The one thing I would say is to go and audition the 906i's, ideally alongside the 902i's in the shop, then you can hear the difference rather than relying on what you remember the 902i's to sound like.

M

mlankton

Mission's budget offerings are tough to beat, sound for pound. I have Missions now, and while I don't aspire to own Missions forever, for what I paid for them they produce much more expensive sound.

H

hardtofollow

thanks for all the help. I'll start having a look round for the 906's, I've already noticed some bargain missions and evo 3s around. any other suggestions very much appreciated

Fluke

Banned
Evo 3's al the way imo :thumbsup:

Dankeech

Fluke said:
Evo 3's al the way imo :thumbsup:

Had those til about a month ago. They were great. Well worth the money. Just about the cheapest place to get them would be Sevenoaks of all places. I bought mine at £230, but they've gone back up since then. Fantastic value and great sound.

I second this, and a steal at the price.

Dan.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom