What budget AV receiver to buy under £250?

spidermaxx

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya, as it says, I'm upgrading my kit.
I've got 6.1 at the moment from a JVC all in one package. I Want to purchase an AV Receiver for around £250, as the rest of my budget will go on a decent Subwoofer.

what to buy? I've got it down to 3 choices:-

Sony STR DG500 - £152 (more money left over to upgrade my subwoofer)
Sony STR DG700 - £195 (HDMI switching is only difference I can see)
Denon AVR 1507 - £200 (Award winning entry level system 2006)

I have also thought of an older 2nd hand product, like a Marantz 4300 (£250) but would prefer a new product, with Guarantee to be honest. (unless this has an amazing difference in audio quality from the budget models listed above)

P.S. also just noticed this Yamaha RXV100D-TI (£200), but can't find much info on it, or reviews!

Have you looked at the Yamaha AX759SE also?

This is currently £232 from digital direct, got mine just last week and have to say I am very happy with it and with it having an auto setup feature it takes all of the ball ache out of tweeking the system to sound really good.

Plus if (like me) you live in a terrace or semi it has a very useful night mode that compresses the frequency range to allow you to watch films late at night without having to alter your speaker settings but still be able to hear the vocals.

Its well regarded in most reviews I've seen and the clarity from it is stunning in my view. One point tho - no HDMI input but thats not an issue to me.

The one I'm looking at buying is the new Yamaha RX-V461, due July according to Pixmania. It's £200 for the titanium version and £260 for black (!). It's 5.1, but the features look very impressive otherwise (eg HDMI, USB connector, on-screen display). I've seen almost nothing about it in the forums, however. Note that the U.S. version seems to be inferior - ie no HDMI. Can anyone confirm whether Pixmania have got the details right?

Don't need HDMI myself, just need 2 optical inputs and enough points to do 6.1 :)

Think I'm gonna go for the denon 1507, as it's advertised in What Hi-Fi @ £179.99. So richer sounds should honour that, as it's their advert!

Richer sounds will indeed honour it as i bought one last week in their Leicester store.

Wolfy!!!

Well, I ended up popping into the sony store on my travels, and walked out with a clearance Sony STR DG500!!!

Very nice system, ended up popping into richersounds and picking up the sony ssp88 6.1 speaker system too!

What swung it for me in the end was being able to name the input devices!! (makes it easier for the wife to use)

Auto set-up, did the job perfectly, and it sound's amazing (Tested on the pod race from Phantom Menace, and the bamboo scene from House of Flying Daggers, great for surround sound tests)

Overall the Sony STR DG500 gets a :thumbsup: from me, recommended to anyone on a small budget.

Well, I ended up popping into the sony store on my travels, and walked out with a clearance Sony STR DG500!!!

Very nice system, ended up popping into richersounds and picking up the sony ssp88 6.1 speaker system too!

What swung it for me in the end was being able to name the input devices!! (makes it easier for the wife to use)

Auto set-up, did the job perfectly, and it sound's amazing (Tested on the pod race from Phantom Menace, and the bamboo scene from House of Flying Daggers, great for surround sound tests)

Overall the Sony STR DG500 gets a :thumbsup: from me, recommended to anyone on a small budget.
You omitted the key facts: which Sony store - and how much did it cost you?

You omitted the key facts: which Sony store - and how much did it cost you?

Lol, sorry, didn't know if people wanted to know that!

The AV Amp was from Leeds Sony center, and cost £149 , and the speakers from Richersounds Leeds for £130

Think I'm gonna go for the denon 1507, as it's advertised in What Hi-Fi @ £179.99.

I did a quick google and couldn't find the Denon 1507 for anything less than £199 - can you tell me where to get it for £179 (a link would be great if you can find one).

Thanks.

Richer Sounds honours their advertised price from April issue of the magazine so you would get it at that price.

I did a quick google and couldn't find the Denon 1507 for anything less than £199 - can you tell me where to get it for £179 (a link would be great if you can find one).

Thanks.

As the above person says, just go into Richersounds, and say you've seen it in What Hi-Fi at £179.99, and they'll honor the price.

Cheers all:smashin: . I just found the ad in the May issue of What Hi-Fi.... from what I have seen it looks as if the Denon 1507 will suit my needs. Just need to convince the missus and wait till pay day!

Hi Barbs,

Can you tell which page of What Hi-Fi you saw the ad?

Cheers,

Scott.

You said
I have also thought of an older 2nd hand product, like a Marantz 4300 (£250)

I just bought a denon avr-2105 off ebay for cheap as my entry to theatre world. It has everything i need plus more, and i know it will do me proud and work for many years to come as things like this dont realy get abused by those who own them, mine looks like new! Plus if it did break down in a few weeks time, i'll claim off the house insurance! I got a 50" hd plasma etc, but not bothered about hd connections to the amp, im not that into all this yet, will prob upgrade in a year or so, so at the moment just getting my feet, and a used "as new" amp was the best option!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom