What budget 55 inch TV to get?

joaon11

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've moved place and now I have a big living room where I really want to put a 55 inch TV (2.5 distance from tv lets say), I've been doing some research on what there is available and for the purpose I want.

The TV will be used mainly for: Netflix, usb stick (4K movies and shows, important this one), some football game streamer from PC, eventual youtube. Recently i got a TV for my parents house the LG 866 nano which is a great TV but the darks at night are so bad that I can't even consider an IPS anymore, so i think VA is the best thing for me. Although, the prices are really high in the uk for TV's i didn't wanted to spend more than 500 pounds but it seems the options are so limited with this budget.

I was looking at the LG 60 71006LB, the samsungs 7100 (not really keen on them dunno why), even the hisense U7Q but going to other thing but LG or samsung really needs to be a great TV. What do you guys say on this? I can consider going above 500 but it really needs to be a great deal, also I really want the TV asap even knowing that new TVs are coming out and prices will drop. Such a conflict!! :laugh:

Thanks to all!

The guide will give you the pointers you need. VA TVs are under narrow viewing angles

If you want to watch HDR stuff, you need medium to high tier and that needs more than £500 (unless you look for second hand from someone upgrading?)

Exactly, needs to go above 500 from what I saw.... What do you suggest under 600 pound? I saw in sonycenter the KD55XH8096BU.A, I believe this is an IPS one?

Refurb Sony 55xh9005?

How much this one goes with refurb? I see it new for 800 plus....

How much this one goes with refurb? I see it new for 800 plus....
£600 ish, check back through the refurb site thread

Unfortunately HDR doesn't cut it on cheaper TVs, the closest you can get new would be the Hisnese U7Q in the low tier section of the guide. It will get you there in some titles. Next best would be the Sony XH9005...again it will be okay in some titles, and mainly in darker conditions.

The best choice for HDR usage (which is mostly what 4k is) is a high tier TV like the Sony XH9505, unfortunately way over budget.

Thanks! I will take a look thursday whats out there and maybe lose my mind a bit and burn a couple pounds eheh

I was checking the refurb thread and i didn't got one thing, there's a 1 year warranty but we can get a 5 year one by calling them and paying an extra, that it?

You can call them or live chat with them. People who call, or call their local store seem to get the best deals. 1 year is a standard warranty on even new TVs, you get a standard 1 year from Sony with the refurbs, and anything you buy on top of that is from a 3rd party insurer.

Is this before or after making the purchase?

Thanks, will take a look into it. Another thing would be that I use subtitles a lot and in some TVs it seems to be a problem...The sony's 9000 suffer from this?

Its best to call before, but you can also buy a warranty afterwards.
The XH9005 has local dimming so there will be some blooming on subtitles, but its to be expected.

Hi all,

from what i've saw today the sony refurbs is a real hit and trial hunt that might not be possible...I will give one more run next week.

Regarding this just wanted to ask you what are alternatives if it doesn't go well because i don't have a TV at all and I can't wait more without one!:( I wouldn't mind going to 600 pounds, from the TV list thread the hisense U7Q is the best suggestion but from lot of comments I've seen the tv in sports really lacks the motion refresh and its quite annoying....

What would you suggest?

I think most budget TVs suffer from poor motion due to 60hz panels. You may be better with one of the other models like a Philips or Sony in the low tier in the guide.

Otherwise I'd suggest moving up to the mid tier. Choices unfortunately aren't great at 55" if you want a VA panel, but the LG 55Nano86 comes with a 120hz IPS panel. Grey uniformity will be decent and motion blur minimal compared to other TVs, but it is also not exceptional with motion compared to 120hz Sony models like the XH9005.

Previous years Sony made a 120hz TV that competed with LGs in the mid range, but this year not, you either go down to the XH81/XH80 series in low tier or go up to the XH90/XH92 series in low tier.

That is unless you go down a size to 49" where they make the XH85/XH91 series with a 120hz VA panels.

Motion is very subjective, so its very hard to know if you'd be bothered by it on a TV like the Hisense U7Q. There are people who are fine with watching football on it, and there are people who aren't happy watching football on the LG Nano series too, so there's no perfect solution. You'd have to try it and see.

What I will say is the motion blur issue with both the Hisense U7Q and U8Q is not one that really surfaces during sport, its more something you are likely to notice in darker scenes.

Recently my parents got an 49nano866, the colors are amazing and the tv is really great but when watching movies at night those grey blacks make me go crazy. Can't go with something like that :laugh:

The XH8095 and 85 are both IPS right? Which ones from sony are VA from the 8 series?

The XH8095 and 85 are both IPS right? Which ones from sony are VA from the 8 series?
85" XH80/XH81 should be VA. Others IPS.
XH85/XH91 only VA at 49". Others IPS.

Should be separated accordingly in the guide.

Was wondering this one LG 60 Inch 60UN71006LA, which is VA. How you compare this with the ones we mention? taking into account we can get it at 500 pound

Its a low tier TV in this guide so close to the Sony XH80/XH81 overall... Of course there's fundamental differences between panel types, so really any comparison doesn't really make much sense. Sony's low tier TVs tend to be a tad overpriced but do motion reasonably well. LGs strength will be with smart TV.

Panel differences are here:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom