Question WHAT BROADBAND SPEED FOR 4K STREAMING?

Drongo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I currently have non fibre broadband; with a typical download speed of 12Mb/s. Streaming Netfix, Iplayer etc is fine.

Now that I have recently bought a 4K television; I'm thinking of upgrading Netflix to the 4K service. I was wondering what sort of broadband speed I need for reliable use of 4K streaming?

By the way; how do I go about upgrading my Netflix account to the 4K service and what is the additional cost?

Cheers.

I believe it should stream with 12mbit, but you will be close to the limit and that may well make it touch and go, you might find you are constantly dropping to HD. I'm not sure it would be worth the investment without a broadband boost.

A short Google later says don't bother:

Can I stream Netflix in Ultra HD?

They recommend 25mbit. You won't need that much but I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Thanks for the reply - very helpful :smashin:

To be honest; I was expecting to upgrade my broadband to fibre.

I'm currently with Plusnet and they offer a 'up to' 38 Mb/s fibre option. I didn't know if that would be sufficent or not. I guess I need to find out what their 'real world' speed is as oppsed to the maximum I could get.

Edit: The link in your reply answered my Netflix questions.:thumbsup:

Thanks.

To be honest; I was expecting to upgrade my broadband to fibre.
They really should stop banging on about "fibre". It is misleading. Plusnet, and BT, its owner, most;ly do fibre to the cabinet (FFTC), not fibre to the premises.

That's important because in some areas, FFTC, of VDSL, delivers speeds that aren't much better than ADSL. So "fibre" would not deliver a speed fast enough for this task. We have a neighbour in that boat. His VDSL is miles better than the ADSL he had before, but streaming remains iffy.

Check what you'll get with VDSL before parting with any cash.

Personally I grabbed the "unlimited fibre" package and get my rated 80/20 mbit all day long every day, almost without exception..

Last edited:
I read (I think on Amazon) that it's 20 to stream their 4k stuff, which is about right, as I can't quite steam it from my TV now, as it's wi-fi connection, which doesn't hit 20 download speed

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom