What Brexit Deal would be acceptable to you?

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brexit means Brexit...... But....

Today Theresa May will make a major speech for the ears of the EU in Florence . She wants to break the deadlock and for that it means she will make an offer - a divorce payment.

From the BBC...
She will propose a two-year transitional deal, after March 2019, ahead of a permanent trade deal.
It could include payments worth 20bn euros over the two years.

Vince Cable said: "£20bn is just for starters. It's going to be a lot more than that - it's an opening offer."

Are you happy with the direction of the negotiation? The Tory party cabinet seems to driving in the same direction now, so the discussion should be about UK versus EU and are we approaching it in the right way.

Mrs May's plan is getting close to a so called 'soft Brexit'. We could be paying into the coffers of the EU for much longer than anyone expected to get good access to EU markets.
Will this limit our freedom to negotiate trade deals outside the EU, and are we still going to have to comply with EU rules?

Is this a sell out ? - Even though I doubt the EU will accept May's offer!

If you voted for Brexit, do you consider this deal as honouring the result?

Or, are you happy with this kind of approach - keeping one foot in the EU?

The only Brexit deal that would be acceptable to me is the one that flounders and finally accepts that it can never be. I look forward to further Remain marches which put pressure on this government to finally give up this nonsense.Every EU flag I see flying raises my spirit as I see it as a symbol of common sense and the right of British people to call themselves EU citizens and all that entails. In fact, come what may, I believe they should continue having that right which also includes holding their current passport

The only Brexit deal that would be acceptable to me is the one that flounders and finally accepts that it can never be. I look forward to further Remain marches which put pressure on this government to finally give up this nonsense.Every EU flag I see flying raises my spirit as I see it as a symbol of common sense and the right of British people to call themselves EU citizens and all that entails. In fact, come what may, I believe they should continue having that right which also includes holding their current passport
Well that is fine and dandy had we not had the referendum. We now need to look at how our new relationship will be with the EU. There are quite a few variables in play here from no deal to some kind of deal. Accept that that is the reality now and ask yourself, what do you see as the best way forward?

Leave means leave. Anything else will see a UKIP revival that will make the remainers wish they had kept their whining gobs shut.

If true, it will depend on what the £20bn will get us. Seeing as it's roughly the net contribution we already pay, and we'll have no say anymore, then unless we are also free to strike our own trade deals I don't see it as anything other than a terrible deal. Pay the same to get less.
Flipside is I can't see the EU allowing us to get any deal that isn't worse than we already get as members, so I'd be surprised if they'd even accept that offer without even less benefits.

If true, it will depend on what the £20bn will get us. Seeing as it's roughly the net contribution we already pay, and we'll have no say anymore, then unless we are also free to strike our own trade deals I don't see it as anything other than a terrible deal. Pay the same to get less.

A succinct description of a "soft" Brexit, which all the remainers seem so keen on. Go figure.

I think it is a sellout and delaying the inevitable, or possible worse not going for a Brexit at all.

£20Bn over two years doesn't sound right either, that would be more than our current net contributions. That would be political suicide, and I feel not what we gave a mandate for at all.

The best way to navigate through this is to get out first, and then negotiate a deal if possible. Anything else just makes it unnecessarily complex and delays the inevitable.

A succinct description of a "soft" Brexit, which all the remainers seem so keen on. Go figure.

That's just one of many forms any brexit could take, one which maintains access to some benefits anyway.

I'd be happy to be free of the negatives, maintain all the benefits and pay no more than we do already. That's just a pipe dream though.

Long term we will still want to deal with each other though, and I'd love to see some sense from both sides in realising that in the short term too. Perhaps today's speech will actually be something May does that isn't a disaster, but I wouldn't bet my home on it.

I think it is a sellout and delaying the inevitable, or possible worse not going for a Brexit at all.

£20Bn over two years doesn't sound right either, that would be more than our current net contributions. That would be political suicide, and I feel not what we gave a mandate for at all.

The best way to navigate through this is to get out first, and then negotiate a deal if possible. Anything else just makes it unnecessarily complex and delays the inevitable.

Just thought of another possibility; if there is a notion that the EU bid for £100Bn is justified, then this could potentially be a master stroke to save £80Bn ;) But it will still be political suicide in the short term, but a great sacrifice for the country in the long run. We may find out in 30 years :)

Pure Cancer. We're Brits not European.

The EU will give us nothing, the sooner the government and the remainers realise this the quicker we can just pick up our ball and walk away and play with someone else.

Give them nothing, we don't have to unless they start being reasonable.

We can't have everything we want but neither can they.

If this is what it takes to finally get us out of this undemocratic, bureaucratic mess that is known as the EU, it might be worth it. However I would far rather our government played hardball. The EU always practices brinkmanship, so any position they have now is likely to change at the last minute.

Still at stage 1.

Kübler-Ross model - Wikipedia

Brexit means Brexit...... But....

Today Theresa May will make a major speech for the ears of the EU in Florence . She wants to break the deadlock and for that it means she will make an offer - a divorce payment.

From the BBC...
She will propose a two-year transitional deal, after March 2019, ahead of a permanent trade deal.
It could include payments worth 20bn euros over the two years.

Vince Cable said: "£20bn is just for starters. It's going to be a lot more than that - it's an opening offer."

Are you happy with the direction of the negotiation? The Tory party cabinet seems to driving in the same direction now, so the discussion should be about UK versus EU and are we approaching it in the right way.

Mrs May's plan is getting close to a so called 'soft Brexit'. We could be paying into the coffers of the EU for much longer than anyone expected to get good access to EU markets.
Will this limit our freedom to negotiate trade deals outside the EU, and are we still going to have to comply with EU rules?

Is this a sell out ? - Even though I doubt the EU will accept May's offer!

If you voted for Brexit, do you consider this deal as honouring the result?

Or, are you happy with this kind of approach - keeping one foot in the EU?

Going pretty much how I thought it would go. And the EU wont accept May's supposed olive branch offer either. Still on course for being out of the EU and Corbyns Labour entering Government and straightening and rebalancing the UK.

Corbyns Labour entering Government and straightening and rebalancing completing shafting the UK by taking us back to the industrial chaos, rampant inflation and IMF bailouts needed of the 1970's .

Fixed that for you :smashin:

Does not bother me the EU citizenship it does not define me like being born in England does not bother me. Like the idea of keeping EU passport etc. Have concerns with the EU economic policy which is similar with our current Government.

Does not bother me the EU citizenship it does not define me like being born in England does not bother me. Like the idea of keeping EU passport etc. Have concerns with the EU economic policy which is similar with our current Government.

I thought you were born in Iraq ?

Still a long way to run but I reckon a lot of peeps are getting a bit jaded of, seemingly, not a lot happening, as far as progress goes.

Might as well just walk away with nothing. Play by WTO rules etc etc. See what the EU eventually does then re deals/trade etc.

Whether we can then stem the sinking ship (GB plc) or not, only time will tell.

Might as well just walk away with nothing. Play by WTO rules etc etc. See what the EU eventually does then re deals/trade etc.

Whether we can then stem the sinking ship (GB plc) or not, only time will tell.

And bang goes the last bit of Conservative Governments being fiscally responsible, if there were such a thing in the first place.

Not ideal, but I don't see the EU agreeing to a deal that will satisfy us.
If we left with a hard Brexit, it would not be the politicians in Brussels that would be hit. It would be the people, traders and manufacturers in Europe that would be hard hit. They might be the ones to force their governments to take steps to continue with free trade.

Any figure must not become an "offer to bargain".

I'd like to think it's a take it or leave it offer but I don't think she has the nerve for that.

My belief is that Theresa has made a mistake, she should continue to stand back and let her representatives do the talking.

What she has done smacks of desperation.

Not ideal, but I don't see the EU agreeing to a deal that will satisfy us.
If we left with a hard Brexit, it would not be the politicians in Brussels that would be hit. It would be the people, traders and manufacturers in Europe that would be hard hit. They might be the ones to force their governments to take steps to continue with free trade.

Exactly.

Seemingly, we're so far away from a compromise at the moment, it's hard to see an outcome that's mutually acceptable.

At times such as these, it really seems like it'd be best if we didn't have any politicians to mess things up.:facepalm: It could all be fairly straight forward if the political masters got off their high chairs for a while.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom