What Brexit Deal would be acceptable to you?

Willem55

Standard Member
The problem is, talk of deals is irrelevant.
Again I repeat, the government ballot paper asked.
Yes
No
Parliament is in breach its constitutional duty to obey will of the people not thwart the will of the people.
To quote and amend Cromwell “You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately...Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, LEAVE!”

3 YRS parliament has attempted to derail the process, now how on earth is that in the best interests of business.
in regard to parlement obeying a referendum I think you should first read the law on referenda.
The parliament represents the people at all times, with a referendum the people only advice the parliament on the sentiment of the day. And sometimes the MP's are smarter.

IronGiant

we are a major founding member therefore it is totally unacceptable that the EU are trying to shaft us.
founding? no we aren't, unless you meant funding member ?

Russ_64

Sorry, yes I guess "founding" was wrong word - one of the major players / major contributors, before all the "new" members joined.

Willem55

Standard Member
Why Google?
If Trump buys Greenland and it becomes a State there will already be 51 States by the time we join. 51+1 = 52.
nope as both won't happen Greenland isn't for sale and statehood will not be granted.... a dominion maybe.. for the UK that is.

IronGiant

I was joking, and since you mentioned Greenland first, I assumed you were joking too :)

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
in regard to parlement obeying a referendum I think you should first read the law on referenda.
The parliament represents the people at all times, with a referendum the people only advice the parliament on the sentiment of the day. And sometimes the MP's are smarter.
The issue of leave or remain isn't a sentiment of the 'Day' is it, otherwise the divisive nature wouldn't be so apparent. The issue is one of delivering the vote because the electorate has sent the government a politically binding decision. The current clamour for a deal is really blocking Brexit by any means possible. A decoy. Both remain and leave stated they would implement the result of the vote, not endlessly discuss the matter in parliament at the tax payers expense.
MP'S smarter, how smart is the idea to hamstring business by not implementing the vote swiftly so all interests can get on with dealing with one another.

Last edited:

gamerste

Suspended
The issue of leave or remain isn't a sentiment of the 'Day' is it, otherwise the divisive nature wouldn't be so apparent. The issue is one of delivering the vote because the electorate has sent the government a politically binding decision. The current clamour for a deal is really blocking Brexit by any means possible. A decoy.
MP'S smarter, how smart is the idea to hamstring business by not implementing the vote swiftly so all interests can get on with dealing with one another.
Maybe just maybe if they all worked together at the start to get a deal that worked, we would not be in this mess.

Willem55

Standard Member
The issue of leave or remain isn't a sentiment of the 'Day' is it, otherwise the divisive nature wouldn't be so apparent. The issue is one of delivering the vote because the electorate has sent the government a politically binding decision. The current clamour for a deal is really blocking Brexit by any means possible. A decoy. Both remain and leave stated they would implement the result of the vote, not endlessly discuss the matter in parliament at the tax payers expense.
Politically binding does that even exists

Willem55

Standard Member
Maybe just maybe if they all worked together at the start to get a deal that worked, we would not be in this mess.
Have not seen any counter proposals to anything the EU came up with as a "Deal" from the UK government.
It is a UK move to leave so it is on the UK to offer a way forward but all we see is indecisive complaining on EU proposals.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
This would of been a good starting point if a Brexit war cabinet of sorts had been assembled from day one . The problem though is the right has moved further right and the left further left and the only ones that wanted to , and put down an anchor to remain were in the centre .

Good luck putting this lot of scallywags in a room , but at least if ( have to be a we are a leave only cabinet ) if they had been this attempt none of them could of used Brexit as a political football it has become.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Have not seen any counter proposals to anything the EU came up with as a "Deal" from the UK government.
It is a UK move to leave so it is on the UK to offer a way forward but all we see is indecisive complaining on EU proposals.
Just take the constraints out of the backstop clause. It’s been requested but the EU keeps saying non.

PatMrex

Hi,

A preferential deal that would be acceptable to me is a FTA. However, the EU has shown it has no intention of offering such a trade deal unless it incorporates the UK staying inside the CU and/or SM. That's the EU's idea of a FTA, not mine personally. They recently admitted that due to geographical location and the fact the UK is the top fifth/sixth economy in the world, they wouldn't allow such agreement in the scope of a Canada type deal, unless they could control vast swathes of the UK's economy via regulatory control and justification. It's clear, that their idea of a deal and the Brexiteers idea of a deal are contrary; as the EU want the UK controlled within its economic and political sphere of influence with the added bonus that 'Perfidious Albion' doesn't get the chance to drag its heels and vote down any future measures that entail 'ever closer union'.

Given that a truly FTA isn't available from a Brexiteers viewpoint, then I have to logically conclude as with the 'rule of law' that a no deal Brexit is the next logical and preferable deal that is acceptable to me, as per the democratic principle of the referendum.

PatMrex

So, by that logic do you think MP's would have overturned a referendum on Scottish independence in 2011 had they have voted to leave the Union?

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Hi,

A preferential deal that would be acceptable to me is a FTA. However, the EU has shown it has no intention of offering such a trade deal unless it incorporates the UK staying inside the CU and/or SM. That's the EU's idea of a FTA, not mine personally. They recently admitted that due to geographical location and the fact the UK is the top fifth/sixth economy in the world, they wouldn't allow such agreement in the scope of a Canada type deal, unless they could control vast swathes of the UK's economy via regulatory control and justification. It's clear, that their idea of a deal and the Brexiteers idea of a deal are contrary; as the EU want the UK controlled within its economic and political sphere of influence with the added bonus that 'Perfidious Albion' doesn't get the chance to drag its heels and vote down any future measures that entail 'ever closer union'.

Given that a truly FTA isn't available from a Brexiteers viewpoint, then I have to logically conclude as with the 'rule of law' that a no deal Brexit is the next logical and preferable deal that is acceptable to me, as per the democratic principle of the referendum.
Isn’t leaving the EU (membership) and an FTA two different things?

We can’t sign an FTA until we’re no longer members.

PatMrex

Isn’t leaving the EU (membership) and an FTA two different things?

We can’t sign an FTA until we’re no longer members.
Quite right.

The 'deal' we're currently talking about is the transitional deal from EU member to non-EU member.

A deal that totally subordinates the UK and one in which Verhofstadt openly bragged about making the UK a colony.

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Quite right.

The 'deal' we're currently talking about is the transitional deal from EU member to non-EU member.

A deal that totally subordinates the UK and one in which Verhofstadt openly bragged about making the UK a colony.
So they’re two different things then.

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Yes. As my last paragraph in the initial quote infers with the conclusion of a no deal Brexit.
You said an FTA isn’t available from a Brexiteers viewpoint, so you’d accept a no deal Brexit. The long term plan is an FTA is signed, leaving is the interim deal/no deal situation.

PatMrex

You said an FTA isn’t available from a Brexiteers viewpoint, so you’d accept a no deal Brexit. The long term plan is an FTA is signed, leaving is the interim deal/no deal situation.
I don't know what you're getting at here.

If my words don't clarify, just ask.