What book are you reading at the moment Pt2

Reading Lucy Foley's The Wedding List. Whilst it is a decent enough page turner, apart from being set in Ireland rather than Scotland, it is practically identical to her other book, The Hunting Party. Characters, narrative style, plot (for now...I'm 79% through).

Epitome of a holiday read. Crying out for a crap movie adaptation starring Emily Blunt a la The Girl on the Train.

this its a bit strange

Attachments

• 91rkvQmTyPL.jpg
    91rkvQmTyPL.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 39
Right now, I'm reading
1. 12 rules for life by Jordan B. Peterson. I don't always agree with Peterson's Philosophy but this book really challenged my thinking process. I try to implement his lessons into my everyday life.

2. Think and grow rich by Napoelon Hill. I recommend this to everyone who's trying to get his life together. You will get some useful advice for life your personal and professional life

I have 17 minutes left of Jack Reacher - Make Me.
Not sure whether to go to the next Reacher book, or back to Mitch Rapp/Agent 21/Orphan X or start the Chaos Walking trilogy that I think @littlesheepy recommended.

Last edited:
Just finished the 2nd (4th) Vince Flynn / Mitch Rappelled Novel - The Third Option

Not sure how I felt about it - it was an ok read, but felt stretched, as if it would of been better being folded into the preceding / following books more - come the end, not a lot really seemed to have changed, other than setting up the adversary. I enjoyed it, but it left me deciding not to read them all back to back and have a break between

After that I read the latest James Patterson / Alex Cross novel - Criss Cross

I used to love these and stand by Along Came a Spider being every bit as good as Silence of the Lambs and pretty much same for Kiss the Girls - however, with Patterson turning himself into a book factory (although I believe he does still write the Cross novels himself) the quality dropped and the stories seemed overly familiar (not to mention his Gran having to be close to 4 figures in age by now)

That said, I really enjoyed this, read on the beach in just over a day and was the perfect book for that. Not as good as his original output 20+ years ago, but good enough that I will stay with him for the next book

From there I have moved onto the latest Stephen Leather / "Spider" Shepherd novel - Slow Burn

Again, suffers as many mass produced books to, but half way through and I am enjoying it. Same story as all the others, but aways found them compelling and as good as Lee Child / Jack Reacher

Finished The Road last night. Horrific and beautiful, sadly not in equal measure.

One of the best books I've ever read. Looking forward to revisiting the film.

9.5/10.

I have a few of McCarthy's books in my collection [ including The Road ] - if I might make a suggestion I would recommend you read his Border Trilogy , you can buy it as one big book or 3 separate novels - All The Pretty Horses - The Crossing - Cities of the Plain [ they interconnect but you can treat them as separate entities ] - there's a school of thought as to his best work , ' Blood Meridian ' but some will say ' Suttree ' - me personally , I'd go with ' Blood Meridian ' , it leaves its mark on you and you'll want to read it again - his description of the Indian attack is something that has stayed with me - here's a short piece from the book -

Went a month or two after reading Hilary Mantel's ' The Mirror and the Light ' [ took me ages ] before picking up ' The Accident Man ' by Tom Cain [ which I finished in 3 days ] - now reading Val Mcdermid's ' A Place Of Execution ' .

If anyone can help it will be you guys and likely @Garrett

Pre lockdown my dad loved scouring charity shops and picking up a couple of books most weeks. As a rule he likes things like Clive Cussler or Bernard Cornwell or autobiographies, mainly of 60s film, football or music stars.

Sadly he is now running out of things to read. I was tempted to get him a kindle and share my library with him, but he had one before and never used it

Does anyone know if a quality source of cheapies second hand books, ideally as bundles ?

or a way of making the kindle more suited for him ? (Issue was he would start a book and realise it was mid way through a series etc)

cheers

If anyone can help it will be you guys and likely @Garrett

Pre lockdown my dad loved scouring charity shops and picking up a couple of books most weeks. As a rule he likes things like Clive Cussler or Bernard Cornwell or autobiographies, mainly of 60s film, football or music stars.

Sadly he is now running out of things to read. I was tempted to get him a kindle and share my library with him, but he had one before and never used it

Does anyone know if a quality source of cheapies second hand books, ideally as bundles ?

or a way of making the kindle more suited for him ? (Issue was he would start a book and realise it was mid way through a series etc)

cheers
Dont know about the second hand books but my Sainsburys have charity shelf where peeps drop books of and if you fancy one there a £1 donation box. Got some really good condition books.
As for kindle, easy way if he has net access is to look up the book on Amazon from your library. Also every day there's 4 new books on at 99p.
I There a few series like Bernard Cornwell, but genraly a lot earlier in the time period e.g. Amazon product ASIN B00BOE1E6U 99p

EDIT saying that Bernard went back to the Vikings. That sort of in the same era and line but changes of Harlequin.
starts out as a bowman but has to be come a swordsman

Last edited:
Double Desmond Bagley who I use to read a lot of and the first in this was my favorite and the second was filmed staring Paul Newman called The Mackintosh Man (not as good as the first story). £2.99 or £1.49.5 each

Amazon product ASIN B002TU1Q3E

Just finished Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer - quite disappointed. It started off quite promising but I found it started getting a little bit pretentious towards the end and I was left feeling a bit ‘meh’ at the end. Won’t rush to read the others in the Southern Reach trilogy but will give the Netflix film a go to see what I make of that.

Thanks @littlesheepy ive just finished book 2 of the Chaos Walking trilogy. Will start the final one tonight. Really enjoying them. Like you, I nearly put the first one down, it didn’t seem like the kind of book I like but it really picked up.

@KyleS1
Nothing will match that now :rotfl:
I’ve recently read Burn by Patrick Ness too which I really enjoyed, not on par with the chaos walking trilogy but I’ve yet to find anything else that is!
Another YA series I got really into was The Enemy series by Charlie Higson.
My most loved other books, (albeit different genres) are Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and A Man Called Ove by Frederick Backman :)

@KyleS1
Nothing will match that now :rotfl:
I’ve recently read Burn by Patrick Ness too which I really enjoyed, not on par with the chaos walking trilogy but I’ve yet to find anything else that is!
Another YA series I got really into was The Enemy series by Charlie Higson.
My most loved other books, (albeit different genres) are Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and A Man Called Ove by Frederick Backman :)
Ah man, that’s annoying nothing else is as good. :D
Thanks, will check out the enemy series.
I loved ready player one.

Recently finished Once upon a Tyne by Ant and Dec which I really enjoyed and also the Midnight Library by Matt Haig which was also a nice easy enjoyable read :) Onto The Vanishing Trick by Jenni Spangler now. It’s a kids book but felt like a nice easy read :)

Recently finished Once upon a Tyne by Ant and Dec which I really enjoyed and also the Midnight Library by Matt Haig which was also a nice easy enjoyable read :) Onto The Vanishing Trick by Jenni Spangler now. It’s a kids book but felt like a nice easy read :)
I'm currently onto the second book in The Enemy series. Liking it so far, just hope it doesn't get too samey ala The Walking Dead

\i'm on the latest Expeditionary Force book at the moment, and once I'm done with that it'll be Battle Ground by Jim Butcher. Might revisit the Harry Potter stuff after (or maybe I'll do the audiobooks instead)

\i'm on the latest Expeditionary Force book at the moment, and once I'm done with that it'll be Battle Ground by Jim Butcher. Might revisit the Harry Potter stuff after (or maybe I'll do the audiobooks instead)
Dammit, I'd never heard of this series, just read the blurb and now I want to read them and there are 10! :eek:
Damn my kindle queue is huge!

Just finished The Vanishing Trick by Jenni Spangler. Nice easy read as it’s a kids book but really enjoyed it. Good characters and set locally to where I live (Staffordshire), all added to the enjoyment :)

Started reading - for the umpteenth time - The Lord of the Rings. Haven't read it in about 5 years, yet always get an urge to read it with the coming of Autumn. 🧙‍♂️

Have pre-ordered A Quiet Man by Tom Wood - the latest in the 'Victor' series.

Finished 'Mindset' by Carol Dweck last week. Brilliant book on self-improvement and learning from failures.
My next read might be one of the Booker prize nominee books I got a few years ago! ('Milkman' or 'Exit West')

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom