What book are you reading at the moment Pt2

Finished The Road last night. Horrific and beautiful, sadly not in equal measure.

One of the best books I've ever read. Looking forward to revisiting the film.

9.5/10.

Second in the Thrawn trilogy? Alliance. In this follow up to Thrawn he sent on a mission and already Vader pulling rank on him, and something goes wrong Vader as usual it's the blame of someones incompetence where as Thrawn sticks up for his crew and seeks out why things have gone wrong.
Really wish they made Star Wars 7-9 Timothy Zahn first Thrawn trilogy would have been a 100 times better than what we got.
Would like to see a prequel of these books although dont know how basing a film on a character on the Empire would sit with fans of the franchise but know of the book readers Thrawn a extremely well liked loved character.

Thrawn Alliiance.jpg

Last edited:
The Library Book by Susan Orlean - story of a devastating fire in a Los Angelos public library. Also tells the history of the library and talks about the characters that work there and that are customers there. As someone who works in a library it's very relatable!

Just started Rendezvous with Rama - Arthur C Clarke - gripping opening hour. Exactly what I needed after being floored by The Road.

Finished The Road last night. Horrific and beautiful, sadly not in equal measure.

One of the best books I've ever read. Looking forward to revisiting the film.

9.5/10.

If you enjoyed this then give Swan Song by Robert R McCammon a go, a little less bleak but a great read.

If you enjoyed this then give Swan Song by Robert R McCammon a go, a little less bleak but a great read.

Expensive on Kindle, but I've got a few spare Audible Credits so I'll take the plunge. Cheers.

Reading catcher in the Rye.... to be honest, I'm struggling to see where this is going and I've lost interest.

Reading hunger games with the youngest and its absolute mustard... onto the 2nd hook in the series (catching fire) and 3 chapters in, its setting up what I think will be a cracking sequel. She is 9 so perfect age for this. Not too much to explain, a few bits here and there but she loves it especially with the female heroine.

Reading Gone (Leona Deakin) with my eldest and again, a serious page turner that we're both gobbling up, multiple chapters at a time for bed time reading.

I didn't start reading until very late, no motivation to, never encouraged to and stumbled into books when i was absolutely bored shitless doing a job i hated, and there was a tray of books just sitting there where i was working.... looked at them, picked up one that had a catchy title, and BAM..... This thing was great and I've continued to read ever since. To this day I can't remember what the title was..... I'm gagging to get a copy of it for prosperity.

I like anything thats good, and try to give all the classics a go... and try to ensure my kids are constantly exposed to literature in a way I never was as a kid and its superb seeing them get wrapped up in a decent book.

I also love a good audio book, it has to be well narrated and I will always pick up paper version and read it aswell...

Happy for any recommendations.

Just starting Dear NHS: 100 stories to say thank you - edited by Adam Kay - off to a good start :)

Reading Gone (Leona Deakin) with my eldest and again, a serious page turner that we're both gobbling up, multiple chapters at a time for bed time reading.
Just finished this.... its fudgeing quality!!!

Highly recommended.

Reading hunger games with the youngest and its absolute mustard... onto the 2nd hook in the series (catching fire) and 3 chapters in, its setting up what I think will be a cracking sequel. She is 9 so perfect age for this. Not too much to explain, a few bits here and there but she loves it especially with the female heroine.

Happy for any recommendations.

I love young adult dystopian books (even though I'm not quite such a young adult anymore!) and my favourites are The Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness and The Enemy series by Charlie Higson. The first Patrick Ness book I struggled with the first few chapters and put it down. Started again much later and then couldn't put it down. Possibly my all time favourite series. A friend of mine read them with his 9 year old daughter and they both loved them, although I will warn anyone reading them,
if you're an animal lover, there's a bit in book 1 that's quite upsetting. Anyone I know that's read them has been traumatised by the same part :(
The same happened with Harry Potter (had to come back to it and start again) which turned out to be another big favourite. Seems I have to come back a second time for a book to end up in my top reads list! I enjoyed the Hunger Games but personally felt they drifted off a little as they went on.

I love young adult dystopian books (even though I'm not quite such a young adult anymore!) and my favourites are The Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness and The Enemy series by Charlie Higson. The first Patrick Ness book I struggled with the first few chapters and put it down. Started again much later and then couldn't put it down. Possibly my all time favourite series. A friend of mine read them with his 9 year old daughter and they both loved them, although I will warn anyone reading them,
if you're an animal lover, there's a bit in book 1 that's quite upsetting. Anyone I know that's read them has been traumatised by the same part :(
The same happened with Harry Potter (had to come back to it and start again) which turned out to be another big favourite. Seems I have to come back a second time for a book to end up in my top reads list! I enjoyed the Hunger Games but personally felt they drifted off a little as they went on.
Harry Potter was the second book i picked up as I loved the film.... now I'm an official pot head, I'm not ashamed to say so...

I might give that chaos walking trilogy a bash...

Mortal engines forst book was a banger but wandered off a bit second book.... and I didn't bother completing the trilogy as my boy couldn't be arsed.

There are loads of series like The Hunger Games. I think I've read most (I started a thread where quite a few commented with other series), but not heard of the two @Miss Mandy mentioned so will have a look at them too.

Just finished “Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine” by Gail Honeyman which I really enjoyed. Now on to “Magpie Murders” by Anthony Horowitz.

Started listening to The Undead by R. R. Haywood - really didn't take to it. Trying to be a Walking Dead / 28 Days Later / Shaun of the Dead hybrid but really didn't click with me so I returned the Trilogy I bought from Amazon.

Started River God by Wilbur Smith which I've read before many years ago and I'm really enjoying.

I’m reading the 3rd Will Robie book by David Baldacci. I’d forgotten the other 2 as read loads of Mitch Rapp, Agent 21 and Jack Reacher since. It’s hard going without remembering what happened in the last book!

Working my way through The Third Option in an attempt to final read all the Mitch Rapp novels (prequels not included)

Very much enjoying and really does have feels of old school Clancy

Have the following lined up as well on Kindle if fancy a change / break from series

7448767A-03BE-464F-9769-D85BF899D346.png

Working my way through The Third Option in an attempt to final read all the Mitch Rapp novels (prequels not included)

Very much enjoying and really does have feels of old school Clancy

Have the following lined up as well on Kindle if fancy a change / break from series

Just taking a look, but 18 in the series? Seems a bit overkill. Are they worth it? I gave up on Clancy once he started 'co-writing'.

Just taking a look, but 18 in the series? Seems a bit overkill. Are they worth it? I gave up on Clancy once he started 'co-writing'.

I read the “first” of them years ago and was very impressed but never got round to carrying on. I did try American Assassin, the 1st chronological book and published shortly before the passing of Vince Flynn. It was awful. Poorly written and came across like something a 16 year old me, raised in Arnie films, would of written. I strongly suspect it was ghost written

I’ll give the series a go though as have enjoyed what I have read that was obviously “classic” Flynn

Similar to Tom Clancy though. He passed away and the characters have been given to loads to have a go at and none have really done them justice. That’s not to say they all bad, I’ve enjoyed a few of the ones written since his death, but they have taken a downturn of last couple of years and whilst I have the most recent 4 “Ryan’verse” novels, I have no desire to read them

I've read the first 15 or 16 Mitch Rapp books. Since Kyle Mills took over, the stories are still as good, just not quite as well written. Still a good read. Mitch Rapp is a great series to read though.
Read the first 20 Jack Reacher books too. Love the style of these series.

I'm reading Anti-Gravity, I just cant put it down.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom