What book are you reading at the moment Pt2

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last thread finished discussing this highly respected member's reading material :D

Finished this [Edit: The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen], enjoyed it and enjoyed it enough to pick up some more - its darker than the TV show for reference.

Started on the 2nd Aaronvitch book, Moon over Soho, and ripping through that :smashin:

Last edited:
Currently reading James Bond Novel 'Carte Blanche', released last year.
Really enjoying it, loving the style.
If Deaver's novels are all like this, I may have to investigate more.

I'm currently doing the Dark Tower series by Stephen King - I'm currently on Wizard & Glass, the 4th of 7 volumes. I've read the first 4 before, years ago when they came out, but never got past Volume 4, so I decided to start the lot from the beginning.
I had a Kindle for Christmas, so I've got them all for that, but I've now seen on stephenking.com that there is another Dark Tower novel due out in February, so I don't know if that's a continuation, or just a side story. I must admit, I'm hoping it's just a side/sub plot, as I was hoping the 7th would actually have an ending!

I loved those books, and Wizard and Glass was probably my favourite. Just a warning you may be disappointed with the ending. I was, but the journey was worth it.

Reading the synopsis of that book though, it looks like it may live earlier in the timeline than the last book. So it will probably flesh out the universe a bit more.

I have currently got 11/22/63 by King to read, but i have to slog my way through New Moon first, although the writing is a little better than Twilight.

Last edited:
I caved in and bought a Kindle yesterday, to improve the amount I read (note: not read any books since the final Harry Potter and before that er ... oops). The bulk of my reading and literary intake appears to be online these days - not really good enough!

Started reading the Steve Jobs biography. I'm neither a lover nor hater of the guy, but I am intrigued to understand a bit more about him. Walter Isaacson seems to write in a style that is enjoyable, but then I'm not too far into it as yet.

Nice one mate, you wont regret it, you will end up reading more.

As Theydon states, you will def end up reading more.

I read at every opportunity now that I have a Kindle.

Yep, I've no doubts about that at all! I bought my then GF (now ex) a Kindle when the revised grey version first came out in September 2010 and thought they were pretty good - decided to have a go myself (thinly veiled with the idea of carrying around my CIMA case study before the exam ... ).

Just started The house of silk, by Anthony Horowitz on the train this morning. This is the new Sherlock Holmes novel backed by the Conan Doyle estate and so far, so good!

Started reading the Steve Jobs biography. I'm neither a lover nor hater of the guy, but I am intrigued to understand a bit more about him. Walter Isaacson seems to write in a style that is enjoyable, but then I'm not too far into it as yet...

I'm finding the damned thing hard to put down. It's genuinely quite interesting, if not only to read about Jobs' relationship with other 'key players' like Bill Gates. Very amusing, at times, but I won't ruin anything.

Let's just say Mr Jobs was a bit different :)

I'm finding the damned thing hard to put down. It's genuinely quite interesting, if not only to read about Jobs' relationship with other 'key players' like Bill Gates. Very amusing, at times, but I won't ruin anything.

Let's just say Mr Jobs was a bit different :)

He was a complete arse. He was Not the Messiah (He's was a Very Naughty Boy) :D

Interesting book though all the same.

Just coming to the end of The Rest is Noise by Alex Ross.

It's basically a history of the 20th Century as seen through the lens of it's classical music. So we get biographical and semi-technical expositions on the timelines of Mahler & R. Strauss through Schoenberg, Stravinsky, Shostakovitch some US composers and Benjamin Britten. I've got a couple of chapters left and I'm enjoying it though it's more sweeping than I would of liked. But that's just my expectations, not really the fault of the book. I guess I should have read a study of each of my favoured individual composers. (since when is favored a correction of favoured?)

Good book, wont disappoint anyone interested in the premise.

After finally finishing the Harry Potter books I am now reading the following:

Confessions of a bed wetter - Sarah Silverman

The Man In The White Suit - Ben Collins

Also just finished Chris Kuzneski's Death Relic. Not his best work imo.

Just started reading 'Mortuary Confidential - Undertakers spill the dirt' by Todd Harra and Ken McKenzie.
It's more anecdotes from things that have happened to the undertakes when they've say, driven to collect a body, rather than things that actually go on in a mortuary and the scientific side of things. It's not what i was expecting or hoping but is still interesting but in a different way :)

I am reading Ludlums Bourne Identity which is 30 years old! :eek:

Pretty good so far! :smashin:

Started Agatha Christie's 'Murder of Roger Ackroyd' yesterday. First time I've read one of these and enjoying it so far.

Am reading 2 books at the minute, the way they learn by Cynthia Tobias. really interesting and it helps you to understand how to teach your children to their strengths.
Am also working my way through the Shakespeare again - reliving macbeth again :)

Just started Jo Nesbo's The Leopard....gruesome start to it!

Just finishing reading Flashman...what a fantastic book, you love to hate Flashman himself...but great history lesson.

Started Agatha Christie's 'Murder of Roger Ackroyd' yesterday. First time I've read one of these and enjoying it so far.

I read that as part of a '20s University Module many years ago, enjoyed it so much that I've re-read it a couple of times since. Not a whodunnit fan in general but it always has me gripped.

I'm part way through a re-read of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I'm up to Book 6 - Lord of Chaos. It's in preparation of the last book that will hopefully be released at the end of this year.

Hmm. That's one of her most unusual books, so it's a slightly atypical one to pick as your first Agatha Christie. Try one of the Poirot ones next if you enjoy that one!

I'm reading "Why I am not a Muslim" at the moment by Ibn Warraq (although somehow I don't think that's his real name!). For light relief, last night I wanted to pick up a comic book and my eyes alighted on "Showgirl" by Steve Martin (yes, that one). Two short chapters in, I was bored out of my mind and so I decided to reread "The Gun Seller" by Hugh Laurie (yes, that one!). Much, much better - it's very obviously written by someone who is genuinely very clever (lots of deft comic touches) as opposed to someone who's trying too hard to be clever, which was the impression left by the Steve Martin book.

I hope Hugh Laurie goes back to writing novels when he's finished with House!

Hmm. That's one of her most unusual books, so it's a slightly atypical one to pick as your first Agatha Christie. Try one of the Poirot ones next if you enjoy that one!

It is a Poirot (or at least my copy is!)
We have subscribed to the Agatha Christie part series as the wife enjoys them as well. You get a nice hardback version with repro of the dust jacket from the first edition and an interesting enough magazine for your £5.99. The books are available generally in a very similar edition but not such good value. Murder on the Orient Express is next.

Ah yes, I forgot - I was thinking too much about the unusual first person narrator! Enjoy the others...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom