What book are you reading at the moment Pt2

Dave M

Distinguished Member

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
Just finished Small Pleasures by Clare Chambers. Went in not having a clue what it was about and really enjoyed it. Kept me intrigued all the way through :)

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Slightly underwhelmed by Consider Phlebas. One, was Phlebas even mentioned? Two, he spent 400 pages building a story where not a lot happened (fine with that) and then ended the entire thing in 5 pages (not fine with that). I thought the story would run through other books. Oh well.
Started on the second one - The Player of Games.

nonameguy

I have got into reading books 6 months ago to help keep my mind off things, i am currently reading a book called The Secret Mother by Shalini Boland, i started it last weekend, it is about a single mum called Tessa whose son recently died, she went out to visit his grave and returned home later to find a boy sat in her kitchen, he thinks she’s his mother, she doesn’t know who the little boy is or how he got there.
really good book so far. I'm gripped.

61Z01KAcKRL.jpg

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Intrigued where The Player of Games is going. Second of the Culture books by Iain M Banks. About 25% in so far.

kaz159

Standard Member
My reading is erratic, I go through stages of reading a lot and then months of not reading at all. I'm currently reading The Circus Train Conspiracy by Edward Marston. It's not my favourite book in the series but it has steam trains and is set in my home county so I'm sticking with it.

Ftorek

My reading is erratic, I go through stages of reading a lot and then months of not reading at all. I'm currently reading The Circus Train Conspiracy by Edward Marston. It's not my favourite book in the series but it has steam trains and is set in my home county so I'm sticking with it.
Quite the opposite :) - i read every night before going to sleep - it's great for calming and winding down :)

At the moment I'm reading 'A Desolation Called Peace' by Arkady Martine - it's a follow up to her previous book 'A Memory Called Empire' (her debut that won Hugo in 2020) - it's a diplomatic/linguistic sci-fi that's very well written and quite entertaining (the previous one was a bit of murder mystery on top of that - not sure yet where this one is heading :) - recommended!

Cheers
f.

Moth

Standard Member
Just started 'The Thursday Murder Club' by Richard Osman which somebody bought for my wife and she raved about it. Seems good so far.

Previously read Kate Atkinson's 'Big Sky' which was very good and 'Ghostwritten' by David Mitchell which I thought was weaker than most of his subsequent books.

d0lphin

Standard Member
I'm reading The Fine Art of Invisible Detection by Robert Goddard, one of my favourite authors. I've read over 50% just today.
Any other fans of this author here?

Dave M

Distinguished Member
Just started 'The Thursday Murder Club' by Richard Osman which somebody bought for my wife and she raved about it. Seems good so far.

Previously read Kate Atkinson's 'Big Sky' which was very good and 'Ghostwritten' by David Mitchell which I thought was weaker than most of his subsequent books.
Just ordered the Hard Back of this. £8 on Amazon at the moment.

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
Just finished ‘Monstrous devices’ by Damian Love. Quite dark for a ‘kids’ book I thought (killer toy robots). Enjoyed it but it did leave me with quite a few questions.
On to ‘Fighting for your life : A paramedics story’ by Lysa Walder.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Just finished The Player of Games, I enjoyed this second book more than the first Culture book. Looking forward to the third, although tempted to read the Enders Game series after rewatching the film. Anyone read them?

MrsArcanum

Just about to start False Values - Ben Aaronovitch. Ninth book in the Rivers of London series.

Ftorek

Just finished The Player of Games, I enjoyed this second book more than the first Culture book. Looking forward to the third, although tempted to read the Enders Game series after rewatching the film. Anyone read them?
I've read Ender's Game loong time ago - probably around 25 years ago at this stage - i was maybe 12-13 or so... loved it a lot - it made huuge impact on me - re-read it few times since then but not recently so not exactly sure how it aged... but i think it should hold well... did read the next two in the series (Speaker for the dead and Xenocide) but to be honest i think i was too young to properly grasp them... and now i'm looking into it and apparently there's almost 20 odd books in the whole series... will need to get back to it and re-read the whole thing :)

Anyhow - Ender's Game - highly recommended :D

Just about to start False Values - Ben Aaronovitch. Ninth book in the Rivers of London series.
Did you read all the previous ones? Are they good? Seems like my cup of tea :)

Cheers
f.

Last edited:

Moth

Standard Member

Finished 'The Thursday Murder Club; it's entertaining and has an interesting style but to be honest I am slightly struggling too see why it has garnered so much praise.

Just started 'Master and Commander' by Patrick O'Brien.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I've read Ender's Game loong time ago - probably around 25 years ago at this stage - i was maybe 12-13 or so... loved it a lot - it made huuge impact on me - re-read it few times since then but not recently so not exactly sure how it aged... but i think it should hold well... did read the next two in the series (Speaker for the dead and Xenocide) but to be honest i think i was too young to properly grasp them... and now i'm looking into it and apparently there's almost 20 odd books in the whole series... will need to get back to it and re-read the whole thing :)

Cheers
f.
Turns out I have read the first one. According to my kindle, it's sat at 100%. Think I might need to revisit it.
I started the third Culture book last night, Use of Weapons. Couldn't concentrate for the start, hope I've not missed anything too important. :D

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Turns out I have read the first one. According to my kindle, it's sat at 100%. Think I might need to revisit it.
I started the third Culture book last night, Use of Weapons. Couldn't concentrate for the start, hope I've not missed anything too important. :D

I absolutely loved Use of Weapons. Interested in hearing your thoughts.

(It's not the easiest read, it's structured a little like Memento with some chapters in chronological sequence, others in reverse).

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I absolutely loved Use of Weapons. Interested in hearing your thoughts.

(It's not the easiest read, it's structured a little like Memento with some chapters in chronological sequence, others in reverse).
I think jumping into the third book straight after the first 2 might not have been the best idea. They are all pretty much standalone, so now need to unlearn book 2 to get into book 3. :)
Will be sure to post an update once I've read a bit more.

MrsArcanum

Cheers
f.

Yup, I picked up a boxed set all bar Lies Sleeping & False Values. Mr A is currently on book 2 and seems to be enjoying them.

Have you read any of the Matthew Reilly books. They are the most fast paced thrillers ever, along the lines of Steve Berry and Chris Kuzneski.

Boo Radley75

True Blue by Daniel Topolski. The story of the the 1987 Oxford boat mutiny in the boat race. Really well and explosively written. Surprised at how well the film stuck to the story.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BAFTA 2021 awards sees Nomadland as big winner
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom