• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What Blu-Ray Recorders are on the horizon?

wonder_lander

Standard Member
I'm talking about standalone under tv type devices here!

So I know about the 2 panasonic recorders but am wondering if anyine knows of any other manufacturers who have a definite plan to release a blu-ray recorder for us in the UK?

I'm a Sony fan and know that they have recorders available in Japan but whonder what is stopping this technology from being released over here?

Gavtech

Administrator

So I know about the 2 panasonic recorders but am wondering if anyine knows of any other manufacturers who have a definite plan to release a blu-ray recorder for us in the UK?

I'm a Sony fan and know that they have recorders available in Japan but whonder what is stopping this technology from being released over here?

No news at all that I am aware of.

If anything, Sony are shrinking back and have lost their technological impetus and zeal.

The mighty dollar is all that matters to them at the moment.

Geofbob

Prominent Member

Given that Sony are major producers of films & Blu-rays, & their (understandable?) near-paranoia about piracy - is it surprising that they're not rushing to manufacture a device of doubtful profitability, whose primary purpose is to copy HD material onto BD discs?

wonder_lander

Standard Member
Given that Sony are major producers of films & Blu-rays, & their (understandable?) near-paranoia about piracy - is it surprising that they're not rushing to manufacture a device of doubtful profitability, whose primary purpose is to copy HD material onto BD discs?

But this isn't a new market to them. They have released recorders in Japan so it's a question about expanding into other countries.

As I said the main thing is standalone recorders so this would be for recording HD content from TV onto BD discs, not disk to disk copying.

Geofbob

Prominent Member
But this isn't a new market to them. They have released recorders in Japan so it's a question about expanding into other countries.

As I said the main thing is standalone recorders so this would be for recording HD content from TV onto BD discs, not disk to disk copying.

But much (most?) TV HD content is also subject to copyright restrictions & can't be copied onto BD discs. I agree that the situation in Japan seems different - but then it's a very different country - eg why don't we have their hi-tech toilets, or machines vending cans of hot coffee, or bullet trains?:D

Last edited:

GYRODEC1

Established Member
The reason we don't have those things is, that we are a back wood country compaired to Japan, but it could also be down to financial reasons. Japan is far greater economical country than us.

Were 10 yrs behind in everything.

Gavtech

Administrator
The reason we don't have those things is, that we are a back wood country compaired to Japan, but it could also be down to financial reasons. Japan is far greater economical country than us.

Were 10 yrs behind in everything.

It is not simply economics in scalar terms.

There is a sociological element.

These goods would be on sale in the UK if the population were prepared to pay premium prices.

It is well known that the UK market is very price sensitive.
Premium goods sell in such tiny numbers in the UK so it is rarely worth a manufacturer producing such goods for this marketplace.

This is not true in Japan, where a different cultural attitude exists.
They are prepared to lay out significant sums for high tech goods.

Tatra-Man

Established Member
So I know about the 2 panasonic recorders . . . . . . .

I'm a Sony fan . . . . . . . .

As an ex broadcast engineer, I can vouch for Panasonic equipment, both professional and domestic, generally being better made than Sony equipment. Bite the bullet and change to Panasonic. (I have no connection with either company.)

GYRODEC1

Established Member
Hi Shawnf,

So really it's not a good time to buy a Recordable BD player as prices are still very high and technology is still improving when it comes to Blu Ray players?

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi Shawnf,

So really it's not a good time to buy a Recordable BD player as prices are still very high and technology is still improving when it comes to Blu Ray players?

There is no evidence or reason to believe that bluray players can or will improve.

This technology was born fully mature.

Tatra-Man

Established Member

I think most Blu-Ray players will play recordable BDs . . . . . . or isn't that what you meant?

As for Blu-Ray recorders, I suspect the same will be true of those as is true of most hi-tech equipment:- In six months time you will be able to buy better and pay less for it. It will always remain your choice whether it's worth missing out on the pleasure of ownership and use in the meantime.

GYRODEC1

Established Member
Hi Tatra-Man,

What I'm trying to say is, that as Recordable Blu Ray players are still very expensive, so it's not a good time to buy yet. But as you quite rightly pointed out,in 6 months time prices will definitely fall.

Just a few questions regarding the Recordable Blu Ray players that are currently on the market now. Are they Multi Region and can you record Freeview programs off the TV?

Thanks

shawnf

Established Member
I think in the UK there is only one BluRay recorder (well a few variants depending on hard disk size) and that's the Panasonic FreeSat recorder with hard disk.
See the other thread in this group...
No FreeView BluRay recorders exist, so we don't know.
Of course when they launch they will be expensive, as the will have new DVB-T2 FreeView HD chipsets...
Never be an early adopter unless you have a big gadget fund :)

Steve N

Distinguished Member
....... Are they Multi Region....
Not straight from manufacturer but some retailers are Multiregioning them.

Richer Sounds and Multiregionmagic sell them as multiregion DVD.
Multiregionmagic will modify them for Multiregion BluRay for £149.
You don't have to have bought it from them.
LINK

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
What I'm trying to say is, that as Recordable Blu Ray players are still very expensive, so it's not a good time to buy yet. But as you quite rightly pointed out,in 6 months time prices will definitely fall.
Prices won't fall until there is some competition in the market. The Panasonic BS850 is £50 more expensive today than when I brought it in July 2009 - although I suspect the VAT increase is partly responsible for that.

Steve N

Distinguished Member
The Panasonic BS850 is £50 more expensive today than when I brought it in July 2009

Really - How much did you pay ?
Instore price at Richer Sounds and Multiregionmagic are £680 and £660 respectively for the BS850 and that includes multiregion DVD. Amazon have them at £677.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Really - How much did you pay ?
Instore price at Richer Sounds and Multiregionmagic are £680 and £660 respectively for the BS850 and that includes multiregion DVD. Amazon have them at £677.
Oh - disregard :blush: Misread the price on the MM site!

mray

Prominent Member
It is not simply economics in scalar terms.

There is a sociological element.

These goods would be on sale in the UK if the population were prepared to pay premium prices.

It is well known that the UK market is very price sensitive.
Premium goods sell in such tiny numbers in the UK so it is rarely worth a manufacturer producing such goods for this marketplace.

This is not true in Japan, where a different cultural attitude exists.
They are prepared to lay out significant sums for high tech goods.

But isn't the reason the UK is so price sensitive the fact that we pay more for most electronic products than other countries in the first place? Or has that situation changed now?

rjmehra

Standard Member
I thought the whole point of HDCP was to prevent HD-source to HD-recorder copying. I mean if you scratch a blu-ray disc you should obviously(!) have to buy it again and not just resort to using a copy you had the intelligence to make.

HDCP = Highly Disappointing Corporate Pedantry

Gavtech

Administrator
But isn't the reason the UK is so price sensitive the fact that we pay more for most electronic products than other countries in the first place? Or has that situation changed now?

I don't know.... but 'pay more' is a relative term.

In terms of 'proportion of income' it a culturally more commonplace for the Japanese to pay the equivalent of £1000 to £1500 for a coveted piece of kit which only early adopters, nerds, and the small proportion of relatively rich folk in the UK are prepared to do.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom