What blu-ray player for Dolby Atmos

Spurs4ever

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I’m reading all kinds of info around the net, and I’m just getting confused :(

So can someone explain to me (like I’m a 5 year old) what I need to look out for in a blu ray player to ensure that it will play 4K movies with Atmos (my soundbar is Atmos and I’ll be connecting the BR player directly to it).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Blu ray players don't decode Atmos only pass the metadata via bitstreamed HDMI to an AV amp that has the ability to decode it providing the AV amp has the requisite speakers attached. 4K is a different beast and you do need a 4K player to play those discs. A 1080p blu ray player will not play 4K discs.

All of the current players from Panasonic, Sony and LG will play 4K discs.

All of the current players from Panasonic, Sony and LG will play 4K discs.
with atmos.

Any 4K player will do what you want depending on what you are outputting the soundtrack to.
What will you be using for audio playback?

I have a Sharp Atmos soundbar which I am planning on connecting the BR player to directly.

All you basically need is the ability to bitstream Dolby TrueHD. This is what is used to package Atmos when you get it via a Blu-ray or UHD disc. Atmos is simply metadata that can be packaged with TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus (DD+). The player need not even know or have the ability to detect the presence of Atmos metadata for it to be be able to output it while bitstreaming TrueHD to an Atmos enabled AVR or soundbar.

There are numerous Blu-ray players that predate Atmos that can still output it while playing Blu-ray discs inclusive of it. The only players I know of that had an issue were some models made by Sony that lacked the ability to bitstream Dolby TrueHD. Current Sony models no longer have this deficiency though.

It is the ability to bitstream TrueHD that is of importance as opposed to the ability to actually detect and or decode Atmos. No player can or will decode Atmos.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom