Question What BB speed do I need

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by nyck, Nov 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nyck

nyck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My discount period has end with Virgin for TV,phone and 150Mbps BB
    Im looking to reduced cost and started looking at my BB.Looking at different articles I may only need 50Mbps ?? What do you think , ive listed below our maximum usage at one time ,normally there's only 2-3 of us in at one time

Theres 4 of us
    1= PS4 online gaming + Tablet ( Social Media,YouTube,Facetime etc)
    2=Ipad (Social Media,Face time occasional Netflix)
    3= Xbox online gaming or Laptop (surfing only)
    4=Ipad (surfing only)

2. duffbeerdrinker

duffbeerdrinker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Could you test it by limiting the speed of your current router to 50mb?

3. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Phone virgin & ask for a reduced speed, if you find it's not enough, upgrade

you might find, rather than lose you, they might extend the discount period

4. nyck

nyck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've Got their own SH1 how do i dot it ??

Your probably right
    In the past they've kept the price the same but added extra services for TV or Faster BB ,Im on the top TV and dont think i need faster BB?? hence the question

5. yasmatazz

yasmatazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Full disclosure before I begin that I was a Vodafone employee up until April and then changed jobs (not anything to do with their broadband or mobile division).

I have been using Vodafone broadband for the past 17 months and it has been absolutely rock solid. My contract was due to expire in December but I called them last month and re-termed early on a new 18 month contract for their Fibre 76 product for £30 per month including line rental. My local exchange (Reading South) is about a kilometre from my house and I receive 69Mb/20Mb unlimited. I have not noticed any traffic shaping or download restrictions regardless of time. I don't recall the service being down for all the time I have had it (17 months).

I do warn you that the router they provide is crap with very poor wifi coverage. If you are considering Vodafone factor in the cost of a range extender or a better router (perhaps consider a mesh system such as BT Whole Home Wifi which is £180 for 3 discs and may drop during Black Friday). My setup is a mix of wired Ethernet to most rooms together with an old Buffalo AP that has very decent Wifi coverage - the Vodafone router's wifi is switched off.

6. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,568
    You get much better VFM by deploying additional hotspots (cells) than a forklift replacement of an incumbent device that might effect at best a few percent better "coverage" (whatever that means) - it could even be worse depending on what you buy and local signalling conditions.

As I never tire of saying, Wi-Fi transmit power is limited by law and most kit is, and always has been, at or very close to the permitted maximum. What differences there are, just aren't worth getting in a twist about.

I don't buy the Internet Myth that ISP's all provide somehow inherently "inferior" routers when it comes to Wi-Fi transmit power. Why would they bother - a 1/10th watt radio transmitter is so easy to build, they can fit one in your mobile phone.

It never fails to amaze me how much emotional capital people invest in "worrying" about the Wi-Fi "coverage" of their routers and access points, agonising over whether to replace brand X with Y, yet do not deploy even the slightest thought about how good the "coverage" of their phone, tablet, laptop, etc. is. Perhaps because they don't realise that the "thing in their hand" is a (Wi-Fi) radio transmitter too...

Wi-Fi is a two way conversation like walkie-talkies, not one way broadcasts like television, for Wi-Fi to work well, the entirety of "the system" including all it's components and the RF signalling conditions are factors and need to be considered, but lay people only ever (wrongly) worry about "the router" "the router" "the router" as if it's the only thing that matters. :D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017