• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What av reciever with £250 budget

Telstar

Standard Member
Hello everyone, I have around £250.00 to spend on a AV reciever. I am new to the AV market and would like your honest opinions on the AV's i have narrowed down too.

My set up i have that this AV will power is as follows: Samsung 40" series 6 roseblack lcd tv.

I am still looking for a Blu-ray player.

I have just bought some KEF Q65's and i will also use the sub and speakers from my Samsung ht-x710 system.

Here are some av's i have been looking at:

SONY STRDH800

PIONEER VSX420 HOME CINEMA RECEIVER

RX-V565BL yamaha

ONKYO TX-SR308 Black

I hope this helps, wasn't sure if it was good practice to give links.

Thank you for looking

Terry

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
You will need to check the impeadance of your speakers from the Samsung ht-x710 system system to see if they can be used.

If they are below 4 ohms, they should not be used. If they are 6 ohms, you should be fine with all the above amps. If they are 4 ohms, you may be Ok with the Onkyo as some of their previous models could run 4 ohm speakers.

Also, the sub on that system may be passive, wheras AV amps need an active (amplified sub).

Of the amps you list, the Yamaha is a level above the other two. They are similarly priced as the other two are brand new models, which you pay a price premium for.

The Pioneer amp would require a blueray player that decodes HD audio and sends it to the amp as LPCM. Any new 'known' branded BR player will do that, but personally, I think you're better, flexibility wise, with an amp that will decode bitstreamed HD audio from the blueray player, which the Yamaha 565 and Onkyo 308 do.

If your all in one speaker and sub aren't suitable, you could still run the amp with the front L&R KEFs and add other speakers later.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Just to add another thing; the Onkyo and Pioneer are new models and have HDMI 1.4. This will give you full choice of 3D blueray players, but the 565, with HDMI 1.3 will still work with 3D blueray players, but you will have a more limited choice of 3D BR player.

The new Yamaha's that have HDMI 1.4 are the 467 and 567.

If 3D is not important to you, get the amps with HDMI 1.3 (suchas the 565) as you will be getting better quality sound for the same price as the lower level amps with HDMI 1.4.

Telstar

Standard Member
I just thought the Yamaha av in question is 7.1 now i only plan to go to 5.1 so should i perhaps go for the RX-V465BL to save money or does the RX-v565bl offer something more than just 7.1?

I checked my samsung speakers and they are 3 ohms.......

Thank you for your help

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
I just thought the Yamaha av in question is 7.1 now i only plan to go to 5.1 so should i perhaps go for the RX-V465BL to save money or does the RX-v565bl offer something more than just 7.1?

I checked my samsung speakers and they are 3 ohms.......

Thank you for your help

The 565 has video upconversion, which is usefull if you have analogue video inputs, such as a Wii or a DVD player that connects via component. You will only need one HDMI lead from the amp to the TV with the 565. With the 465, which doesn't have video upconversion, you would need two cables from the amp to the TV if you had a Wii etc.

The 565 also has video upscaling, which the 465 doesn't but as your TV will do just as good a job, I wouldn't let that influence decision.

The 565 also has an onscreen display for setup, which the 465 doesn't. Many people run 7.1 amps in 5.1 setups (me included).

I would definitely go for the 565 over the 465 if it's within budget.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom