what av reciever and 5.1 package

ljt74

Standard Member
Reaction score
can any one help me decide what av receiver and 5.1 and floor standers to set up.looking at the dennon ,the yam 765 or the onkyo 607, got a budget of about 350 for the amp and about the same for the 5.1, the floor standers are a later edition and seen some nice kefs around the 500 price

any help most appreciated

cheers

can any one help me decide what av receiver and 5.1 and floor standers to set up.looking at the dennon ,the yam 765 or the onkyo 607, got a budget of about 350 for the amp and about the same for the 5.1, the floor standers are a later edition and seen some nice kefs around the 500 price

any help most appreciated

cheers

Hi mate,

Just a couple of factors you might want to consider before making a decision. Firstly, what type you sound you like would influence amp recommendation e.g. if you like bright sound which is sound that has greater emphasis on the higher frequenies or treble and can be described and clear, exciting, crisp and sometimes shrill or harsh then the Onkyo would be a good choice (sony is another brand you could go for). If you like warm sound which is sound that has geater emphasis on mid/low range and bass and can be described as rich and full and sometimes muddy or bassy then either yamaha or denon would be a good choice (both also good with music). Neutral sound sits somewhere in the middle.

For speakers it would be worth looking at how much space you have. If you have enough space and/or the room is big enough i would def go for floorstanders. These would sound great with music as well as movies/games. If space is at a premium then getting a sat/sub package or some bookshelf speakers would be your best bet. These type of speakers are generally small and discrete/inoffensive but would not sound terribly great with music and would almost certainly need a sub to go with them.

Then you might want to consider what speaker/amp combination you want to go for. Pairing a bright amp with warm/neutral speakers is a good choice and vice versa.

It really depends on what type of sound you prefer, getting some demos i n would be a great start to help you with deciding too. All the amps you mentioned above are very good amps, you would go wrong with any of them. Also, how many sources will you be connecting? You will need to think about things like inputs/outputs etc...

I've prob thrown up more questions than answers, sorry about that!!

Cheers

Saf

Edit: which denon were you looking at the 1610 or 1910?

Also, of the amps you listed above, the onkyo 607 gives you more flexability around connections but the yamaha is more powerful, and better muscially imo.

Last edited:
Hi mate,

Just a couple of factors you might want to consider before making a decision. Firstly, what type you sound you like would influence amp recommendation e.g. if you like bright sound which is sound that has greater emphasis on the higher frequenies or treble and can be described and clear, exciting, crisp and sometimes shrill or harsh then the Onkyo would be a good choice (sony is another brand you could go for). If you like warm sound which is sound that has geater emphasis on mid/low range and bass and can be described as rich and full and sometimes muddy or bassy then either yamaha or denon would be a good choice (both also good with music). Neutral sound sits somewhere in the middle.

For speakers it would be worth looking at how much space you have. If you have enough space and/or the room is big enough i would def go for floorstanders. These would sound great with music as well as movies/games. If space is at a premium then getting a sat/sub package or some bookshelf speakers would be your best bet. These type of speakers are generally small and discrete/inoffensive but would not sound terribly great with music and would almost certainly need a sub to go with them.

Then you might want to consider what speaker/amp combination you want to go for. Pairing a bright amp with warm/neutral speakers is a good choice and vice versa.

It really depends on what type of sound you prefer, getting some demos i n would be a great start to help you with deciding too. All the amps you mentioned above are very good amps, you would go wrong with any of them. Also, how many sources will you be connecting? You will need to think about things like inputs/outputs etc...

I've prob thrown up more questions than answers, sorry about that!!

Cheers

Saf

Edit: which denon were you looking at the 1610 or 1910?

Also, of the amps you listed above, the onkyo 607 gives you more flexability around connections but the yamaha is more powerful, and better muscially imo.

Hey Saf,

Quick question.. could you recommend a good set of "floor standers"? £200-250?

Yes mate, those are front left and right and would come as a pair. Were you looking for something specific?

Cheers

Saf

Yes mate, those are front left and right and would come as a pair. Were you looking for something specific?

Cheers

Saf

Tbh not that specific, but something which will suit my needs. I'm gonna create a thread in a little while (don't wanna derail this one), would appreciate if you could check it out, thanks.

(When I said 250 I thought you were going to give me a 5.1 system.. but no worries)

Rei0

cheers saf, i do like a more warmer sound but my plan is to have the 5.1 for the tv then when i want to play the music go through the fkloor standers, i do like my music loud but clear. the room is not to big about 8 ft by 13 ft but i do still like the floor standers im running mordaunt short ms 5.40 which are nice but about 15 years old, i would be running ps3 skyhd and my laptop which holds the music, with the addition of the xbox and wii but that is not going to be plugged in all the time just when my boy wants to play it in the front room

how do i know about the bright and the warm ,been told that you mix them , eg bright amp warm speakers how do i know what is what

as you have probably guessed im new to this

cheers
lee

cheers saf, i do like a more warmer sound but my plan is to have the 5.1 for the tv then when i want to play the music go through the fkloor standers, i do like my music loud but clear. the room is not to big about 8 ft by 13 ft but i do still like the floor standers im running mordaunt short ms 5.40 which are nice but about 15 years old, i would be running ps3 skyhd and my laptop which holds the music, with the addition of the xbox and wii but that is not going to be plugged in all the time just when my boy wants to play it in the front room

how do i know about the bright and the warm ,been told that you mix them , eg bright amp warm speakers how do i know what is what

as you have probably guessed im new to this

cheers
lee

Hi mate,

Check out this recent thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1175917-bright-warm-netural-speakers.html

in particular post 4 by a very knowledgeable forum member.

If I were in your position then i would be leaning toward either denon 1910 or yamaha 765. Both would be excellent with music and paired with the right speakers will give you clear sound too. You can have all the sources you mentioned connected to the amp permanently, there are enough inputs in either so would save you having to connect/disconnect whenever you needed to play either the wii or 360.

What was your budget for speakers? £350 or £500?

Cheers

Saf

cheers sef i was looking at about 350 for the 5.1 and @500 for the floorstanders, when i wnt to richer sounds he recommended the onkyo over the yam even though the yam was dearer?

what 5.1 would you get for the yam or denon

cheers sef i was looking at about 350 for the 5.1 and @500 for the floorstanders, when i wnt to richer sounds he recommended the onkyo over the yam even though the yam was dearer?

what 5.1 would you get for the yam or denon

haha! RS have a tendancy to push onkyo products!! They've used their jedi mind tricks on me as well.......and succeeded!!

Personally, i'm a big fan of Q Acoustics. I think that within their range they make excellent speakers. If i was getting floorstanders i would not be worrying about a sub just yet as the bigger cabinet of the floorstanders can compensate for that.

I would buy the QA 1050i's as fronts:

Audio Affair | Hi-fi, Home Cinema, Multi Room & Custom Install - Q Acoustics 1050i Floorstanding Speakers Pair

1020i's for surround:

Q ACOUSTICS 1020i SPEAKERS (PAIR) (CHERRY) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/3865 for details

and then the 1000ci as a centre:

Q ACOUSTICS 1000Ci CENTRE SPEAKER (CHERRY) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/3695 for details

you are within your £500 budget and then later on i would buy a sub bearing in mind that a decent sub would set you back at least £200.

Hopefully someone will come along with other alternatives but this wold be my choice.

Cheers

Saf

cheers saf also ive been tol that electricel twin and earth cable woud be good for the speakers, and should i bi-wire?

I would not bother with biwiring. If you can biamp then this will give benefits but as long as you have speaker cable of reasonable thickness (2.5mm or greater) then biwiring imho will give you no benefits at all.
As for speaker cable good cable can be bought for £1 to £2 a metre so I would use this and not electrical cable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom