What AV receiver?

Gizmaster0

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry if posted a thousand times already but can’t see the question or answer for what I’m looking for. Any help much appreciated.

Current set up:
1. TiVo V6 box
2. PS5
1 & 2 are connected by HDMI to TV but only V6 to HDR compliant HDMI IN as the other is used for ARC.

TV - Hisense H50N6800

Speaker connected by HDMI via ARC.
Speakers 5.1 - Onkyo htx-22hdx.

Upgrade to:
Separate AV receiver and Sub capable of at least 4K 60Hz HDR.
3 HDMI IN and 1 HDMI out.
Budget - AV receiver below £300.
- Sub speaker below £100.
Hisense TV only capable of 60Hz so don’t think I need to worry about 120Hz.
What AV receiver and Sub speaker would you recommend?
Would eARC help? How is eARC different from ARC?
What kind of speaker cables will work?
Is there anything else I need to think about?
Thanks in advance

Hi,
Sorry if posted a thousand times already but can’t see the question or answer for what I’m looking for. Any help much appreciated.

Current set up:
1. TiVo V6 box
2. PS5
1 & 2 are connected by HDMI to TV but only V6 to HDR compliant HDMI IN as the other is used for ARC.

TV - Hisense H50N6800

Speaker connected by HDMI via ARC.
Speakers 5.1 - Onkyo htx-22hdx.

Upgrade to:
Separate AV receiver and Sub capable of at least 4K 60Hz HDR.
3 HDMI IN and 1 HDMI out.
Budget - AV receiver below £300.
- Sub speaker below £100.
Hisense TV only capable of 60Hz so don’t think I need to worry about 120Hz.
What AV receiver and Sub speaker would you recommend?
Would eARC help? How is eARC different from ARC?
What kind of speaker cables will work?
Is there anything else I need to think about?
Thanks in advance

Budget is rather tight to be frank. You could achieve a Denon AVR550 for 250 quid, but for the sub you would be best served looking on flea bay for a used example.

Are you planning to re-use the Onkyo speakers? I would not recommend that, you could try to sell it as a complete 5.1 system. Those speakers are 6 ohms but 40w Max and then the Amp/Sub will be redundant.

If you can spend a bit more (and get some cash for the old system), I would move to a proper 5.1 AVR system like this budget/starter package: Denon AVR-X1600H AV Receiver with Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Speaker Package

I was going to keep the onkyo surround speakers in the short term but could sell the system. No idea how much I could get for them.
So they old system is completely redundant for 4K HDR pass through?

I was going to keep the onkyo surround speakers in the short term but could sell the system. No idea how much I could get for them.
So they old system is completely redundant for 4K HDR pass through?
Yes.

£720 the cheapest way into 4K pass through?
With a speaker package that is a good price for something half decent. It would also sound a lot better than what you currently have. You could sell your current set up complete as it's really of no value being split up.

£720 the cheapest way into 4K pass through?

It's not a cheap hobby, you could quite easily spent many thousands on putting together a system.

Thank for the advice.

I was just looking for a simple and cheap way to utilise 4K 60Hz pictures for both TiVo and PS5 and avoid switching cables. Guess I’ll have to save my pennies. Presuming I’ll only get £100 for my current speaker set.
Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom