What Av receiver ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andytech0, Jan 11, 2012.

1. andytech0

andytech0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am thinking about purchasing the Jamo a102 HCS6 home theater system.
    My living room is 30 feet long by 15 foot wide and I am looking for some good advice on what Av receiver to buy. I have read mixed reviews about the Onkyo and Yamaha receivers.

I don't mind second hand receivers !! Denon ? etc

Any advice would be appreciated ! I don't have to go for the Jamo but is there anything else out there as home theater goes ??

I am on a budget of £500.00

Thanks

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,408
    Is that £500 for the receiver or receiver and speakers? If it is just for the receiver then any receiver around that price really needs much better speakers than the Jamo to get the best from it. If this is the case I would turn the budget around and spend what you would on the Jamos on the receiver and use the £500 for speakers as this will get you a much better sounding system.
    If the £500 is for the entire system then look to split the budget 50:50 on receiver and speakers or if possible slightly more on the speakers than the receiver. If this is the total budget then look at the Boston Accoustics Soundwares with something like the Onkyo 509/Yamaha 471 or Denon 1612.
    Do the speakers have to be a sub/sat system? Have you considered building the system slowly. Hence getting a better receiver (around £300-£350) and then use the rest to buy a pair of front speakers. You would then buy the other speakers as funds allow. Now this does not give you surround sound straight away but it does give you a much better system. If going this route you could get some nice standmount speakers for the money you would have left.

3. Member 569079

Member 569079

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    For a budget of £500 there is little to really touch the Onkyo TX-NR609 or Yamaha RX-V671 AV receivers - loads of connectivity, network streaming, bags of power etc.