Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

what AV receiver to get

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by G1OSE, Jan 22, 2003.

1. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi im new on here
    i have been looking at getting a receiver for my room and then to take away with me when i move out (im a student you see)
    i mainly listen to music (hiphop r and b) and want the surround sound as well i have a fairly large sony system now but hasnt got the inputs i need good output though 350 watts i have a minidisc deck
    basically i need a
    multi cdplayer
    need a AV reciever roughly £350-£800
    a set of speakers £500- £1000
    i have heard the b&w dm 600 are good 604 front 602 rear and a center but because i dont really listen to surround as much as music is it worth all the extra on the rest of the speakers or should i get the 604 for music and then some cheaper for the rear i have seen some wharefedale diamond cinema for £200
    also is sony good for the receiver side of things i saw the 333ES but how is it compared to some thing like the denon 1803 for music?
    i need lots of help please can some one guide me through
    cheers

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    What size room do you have ... from my experience with student rooms, DM600s3 would be more appropriate then DM604s3 :))

Victoria

3. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OH ok i am a student but live at home and my room is about 8X4 so its fairly big so i think they should be ok
    also its gonna be on the move soon when i move out
    i need to connect a cd player- md player- dvd player- vcr player- ps2 and a pc with room to spare for future expansion i also would like multiroom sound if poss what can you recomend?

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Okay ... is that 8x4 feet or meters? Even if 8x4 meters the 604s are VERY big speakers ... maybe you should look at the 803s or Kef Q3, etc instead. As for using B&W 602s as rears ... these are huge speakers for stand mounts and need a very large room to work well as rears.

I assume that the DVD player, PS2 and PC all want to be connected via Digital connections (optical or co-ax) so we'll assume you need 2 of each. You may also want to connect the CD player to a digital in and the MD to digital out for recording / copying.

The VCR, CD and MD all need analogue inputs.

Your budget range really does encompas a lot ... from the Marantz SR5300 and Yamaha AX630 at the bottom end ... upto things like the Pioneer 1011 (and maybe 2011 as well) and Sony VA555ES at the top end. All will have all the facilities you want except possibly a second room output (you need to look at higher end stuff for that). Neither the Denon 1803 or Sony VA333ES are particularly good with music and if Music is a priority then you would do better looking at spending your money on either a mid range NAD or Marantz. Also I understand that Harmon Kardon kit is good if you are very evenly split between music and movie needs ... though personally I hate the looks and would never buy any HK kit.

In your original post you say your Sony kit was rated at 350 watts ... please don't forget that figure is artificially inflated by Sony to sound impressive and that the Amps I have meantioned will be from around 60wpc upto maybe 100-120wpc ... though even these figures are inflated when compared with someone like Rotel, NAD or Arcam's amplifier ratings.

Also for full surround sound you will need a centre speaker and 2 or more surround speakers. For best effect you will also want a good subwoofer.

I'm still slightly confused over your location / residence. Are you living at home now, but will soon be going to university, or are you currently a student living at home but will soon be finished at uni and moving out into your own house / flat / whatever? If you are going off to uni soon, I urge you to consider small stand mount speakers ... B&W 601s, KEF Q1, etc as large floorstanding speakers really are not suitable for the average hall of residence.

Victoria

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Hi there....you're going to be a very popular guy with that sort of system in your room,esp if you like late nights!

The Denon,Marantz and Pioneer receivers in the price range you've specified are all good machines and should offer the connectivity you require,with multiroom capability in some degree,with multi speaker switching.

For speakers,again the B&W range are generally not only good value,but also very good performers,although some of the Mission and Kef speakers are also worth looking at.

This may be a bit OT,but if you're moving all this stuff to a student type room somewhere....insure it for when someone nicks it.

6. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no i am a student living at home in my parents house looking to buy now and when i move out into my own house not halls when i finish uni i want to have it all in my main living room or whatever

i no

i can get some sony stuff cheap from a friend who works in a sony shop so the budget prices were to get an idea of what you thought of the top end sony stuff cos the price i can get it for will be slightly cheaper so the 555 and 333 were options if there any good
    i really like the 604's when heard with music i was impressed without a sub
    can you run 5.1 with 6.1 amp and just leave out a speaker or not?
    i also like the AE aego 5 or 2 (i think) the small sats with the tilted back and there sub as an idea for the rears and then use BandW for the fronts and center?
    also do you think the new dm set by B&W are too much for a small room by the way its metres 8X4 approx
    cheers for the help

7. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Given your choice in music, I suspect that the following would suit you down to the ground...

DM603 fonts/LCR60 Centre/DM600 rears... thats £1K...
    AV AMP
    Denon AVR3802/3 or the Sony STRVA555ES as you mentioned... (£600-800)
    If you can then squeeze it ....
    Velodyne CHT-10 or Mission M5AS Sub... £320-325

You would be far better off getting the 603's over the 604's and spending the difference on a SUB... this is simply to ensure you get the full LFE stuff in DD/DTS...

The 603's have some amazing punch, especially good for your musical taste...

The 600's are essential on the rear (£200) instead of any old cheap stuff, because if you use the 5 Channel stereo mode on the Denon Amps(which I think you will like), if your speakers aren't tonally matched it sounds awful... and tonal matching is beneficial in movies to...

Of course, you need to demo them...

8. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    THANKS i am very interested in the 5 channel stereo but me being me forgot to mention that!
    that has helped loads have you seen the new B&W package in the new what hifi mag they are 303's and 309's with a sub all in the deal for £900 what you recon on those save buying the extra sub on top they must compare well with the 600's right or not has anyone seen or heard anything about these?

9. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    also can i just ask how do you connect a dvd or vcr player to these amps and to the tv to get sound and vision does it all run through the ampie s-video and then have one output visually to the tv or do you run a scart from the dvd to the tv then some phono connection to the amp separatly?
    sorry for all the questions just need as much help as possible!!!!!!

10. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    AV amps generally have video switching built in, commonly composite, s-video, and component on higher end kit, and I think one Marantz model has scart. For each mode of switching you then have one 'monitor' out from the amp to the TV, though some kit upconverts the signals for you and so you only need one. This provides for convenience so the video source is automatically switched when you switch audio source.

Personally I avoid using video switching since it must degrade the signal to some extent, however minor.

So, yes, I use scart where I can, eg from DVD, VCR, OnDigitial, to the TV and then audio connections to the AV amp. For surround audio signals (from DVD, Sky+ etc) use a coax or optical connection (a must to get DD, DTS and above), then analogue interconnects for everything else (VCR, CD, Tuner etc)

The other advantage of using scarts direct to TV is that it enables an RGB signal to be used where available. The only other way to do this without scart AFAIK is via component which requires the appropriate connections on the TV, plasma etc.

I think thats all correct and that it helps some.
    Simon

11. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for that
    what you recon on those b&w i spoke about earlier 309's etc
    cheers again you have been a great help!