What AV receiver for 4K + 120Hz + 5 x 75W 6Ω Wharfedale speakers

the-nature-one

Standard Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V467 AV receiver and I'd like to replace it with something similar but with 4K and 120Hz. I know there's been an issue with 4K@120 AV receivers. Has this been resolved now?

Which AV receiver would you recommend?

I know there's been an issue with 4K@120 AV receivers. Has this been resolved now?

Denon have developed an external adaptor for the effected models and all models manufactured since may use HDMI chipsets not effected by the HDMI version 2.1 "bug".

The above also goes for effected Marantz models.

Sound United have also announced a 3 port HDMI switch that integrates the aforementioned adaptor. THis can be used to expand the number of inputs you'd have in association with one of the HDMI version 2.1 equipped DEnon or Marantz models.

This switch will cost you about £180 though.

Yamaha have said that they will upgrade every effected 2020 model (RX-V4A, RX-V6A, RX-A2A, TSR-400 and TSR-700) with a free HDMI board upgrade.

There is however some debacle surrounding the HDMI chipsets onboard the Yamaha models. These chipsets are apparently capped at 24Gbps:

THis year's more recent Aventage models (A4 and up) are not capped and include 7 40Gbps inputs alongside 3 outputs. The A4 (not to be confused with the V41), A6 (not the V61) and the A8 models are not cheap though.

It should also be noted that Denon are on the verge of introducing new models to replace its current line up. THe word is that these new models will include at least 3 8K 60Hz/4K 120Hz inputs.

Last edited:
How much money have you got to throw at this and why do you need 4K 120Hz?

Denon have developed an external adaptor for the effected models and all models manufactured since may use HDMI chipsets not effected by the HDMI version 2.1 "bug".

(...)

It should also be noted that Denon are on the verge of introducing new models to replace its current line up. THe word is that these new models will include at least 3 8K 60Hz/4K 120Hz inputs.
Thanks, @dante01
How much money have you got to throw at this and why do you need 4K 120Hz?
I saw the latest generation of Yamaha's AV receivers and their pricing (£1,299+ and I think I paid for my current one about £400). I was going to upgrade my Plasma TV with an OLED TV and 120Hz for gaming, but because my old receiver doesn't even support eARC I have to upgrade the AC receiver. My RTX 3080 will not push 120 fps @ 4K resolutions in most games but I don't upgrade AV stuff very often. My TV and the amplifier are 12 old! I just don't like to be limited and in case a new RTX comes out even 3 years later, I wouldn't like to be upgrading my amplifier again. Not that my Panasonic plasma is dying, but I think it's time for an upgrade. I guess the need for 120Hz is that I just want to future proof my upgrade.

Another option is to connect my PC via two HDMI cables. One directly to the TV and one to my old receiver. Far from ideal. What I like about AV receivers is the ability to switch between inputs directly from the remote without having to go through any menu's etc. Instant switch, helps with programmable remotes. As far as I'm aware TVs don't "do that". You have to go to the input menu and switch the input with several button presses.

Hope this makes sense.

I'd hang on if you can. See what happens next year. Maybe wait to see what happens as the newer lower tier models start being announced. The models replacing what are currently available are more than likely going to be far more stable, include more inputs and in the case of Yamaha. may not be capped? The current models may also start to be discounted as and when replacement models are announced?

If in a hurry then I'd suggest one of the Yamaha Aventage models, probably the RX-A4 if on a limited budget.

I'd hang on if you can. See what happens next year. Maybe wait to see what happens as the newer lower tier models start being announced. The models replacing what are currently available are more than likely going to be far more stable, include more inputs and in the case of Yamaha. may not be capped? The current models may also start to be discounted as and when replacement models are announced?

If in a hurry then I'd suggest one of the Yamaha Aventage models, probably the RX-A4 if on a limited budget.
Thanks for your input. I'm not desperate so it might be a good idea 👍🏻

'I just don't like to be limited and in case a new RTX comes out even 3 years later' - it sounds like you are chasing shadows, it makes no sense to jump into the AVR market at a time when the AVR manufacturers are struggling to cope with VRR, ALM etc

eARC is a shift in system connectivity - the TV is now the Hub and the AVR as we know it will disappear in the next few years, all you require is a multi channel processor and amplifier with a single (eARC) Input and plenty of fully featured HDMI Inputs on the TV.

If you have the ability to send 4K UHD, VRR etc on one cable to your 'New' TV and audio via a second cable to your current AVR I would be doing that for now and upgrade the AVR as and when the market stabilises.

Joe

Denon x1700h is the answer .Just hooked it up with rtx 3080 and LG CX . Works like a dream .4k/120hz HDR ,VRR ,g-sync ...etc .Priced in uk at £599 .No problems with eARC or 5m long hdmi 2.1 cable .Hope it helps .Cheers !

I think this is interesting regarding HDMI 2.1 , seems we need to be careful as some AVR's that are marketed as HDMI 2.1 are actually HDMI 2.0B
ofhttps://youtu.be/bV4mOelqk6E

The guidance has been the same since day one with HDMI - ignore any mention of Version numbers and alway look for the Features you require when purchasing kit.

Joe

That’s if that guidance is known to everyone purchasing an AVR , most will just see HDMI 2.1 & think that’s what they will get , even after the 2020/2021 D&M HDMI 2.1 mess it’s a minefield still .

'That’s if that guidance is known to everyone purchasing an AVR , most will just see HDMI 2.1 & think that’s what they will get' - which suits the marketing team no end.

Ideally folk in the know push 'Features' rather than 'Version' numbers and folk may eventually know the correct questions to ask!

The problem of course being folk automatically like a 'higher' number :)

Joe

I'm partial to anything divisible by 3 :thumbsup:

Not at all happy about 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 or 11.1 :(

I'm partial to anything divisible by 3 :thumbsup:

Not at all happy about 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 or 11.1 :(

I know you Dante, 6.1 all the way, you're always saying how much you love that centre back surround speaker for Atmos 🤣 🤣

I know you Dante, 6.1 all the way, you're always saying how much you love that centre back surround speaker for Atmos 🤣 🤣
Yeah, it's great as long as you remember not to actually wire it up to your AV receiver.

Great place to put books and nick-nacks :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom