What av amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 100%WHU, Mar 7, 2006.

1. 100%WHU

100%WHU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have a budget of about £250-£300 for a new av amp.
    I am looking at either Canton CD101 speakers of Maurdant Short avante premier speakers(unless I can be persuaded about other speakers for £300)

I mainly want to the setup for movies, but would also like to be able to play music, but not overly loud, due to having small children. So I am just looking for a really nice sound I guess

2. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Denon 1906 dont even looked elsewhere!!!!!

3. 100%WHU

100%WHU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I must admit that was my 1st choice. But i went into Rayleigh HiFi and they told me that they had stopped selling denon after 20 years, due to poor after sales etc etc

4. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Sorry to be annoying.... but please do look somewhere else... at that price the CA540r (now in the V2 flavour)!

Note: reason for not suggesting the 1906, is the fact that lower end Denon stuff are built with small power supplies. IMO right now if you're buying Denon, get nothing less than a 2805/6 - but those are for a different budget.

5. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Well Ive not been a massive fan of the cambridge kit ive bought in the past and just setup one of these denons for a friend and its a superb piece of kit which you can customize so easily along with a great remote for controlling all your other gear!

6. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Indeed you are right... denon has way more switching & other facilieties than the CA - and on that alone is quite a way ahead. Also there where a couple of problems with early CA gear. But what you do get it genuine sound which quite honestly denon can't match at that price. Another option could be NAD, which is more expensive (but honestly better) than the CA, and for the money still better than the basic denons.

Dont' get me wrong - i'm not dissing the Denon brand. It's just that their basic gear, sells for two reasons: 1. they have very good high-end gear which ppl like to associate their gear with, 2. lot's of trendy featrues, some useful, some not.

After all, this all depends on what speakers you'll be listening on! Just make sure you get some sensitive, high impedance speakers with the 1906 - and don't go volume crazy.