1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What AV amp would you get if you had 500 quid to spend?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Turbocharged5, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Turbocharged5

Turbocharged5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've got £500 to spend on an AV amp (my first :D). I was thinking about either a Yamaha, Sony or Onkyo in terms of manufacturer, maybe Denon too.

I was wondering what AMP you guys would spend your 500 quid on if it was up to you?

It may be worth pointing out that I'm not really interested in a receiver as I get all the radio channels I could want through my cable provider. I'd much rather invest the money else where - i.e. more features, or power, or channels.

I'm planning on using the amp for both music and movies as well and sticking my XBox into it!

Also I was wondering what makes of AMP would you definatly stay well away from?

Cheers,
    :smashin:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HK AVR3550 or Limited edition 505 amps very good quality gear good build etc, Also look at pioneer, their lower end amps arent great but mid to top end are. Also Marrantz SR5400 and denon 2802/3
    What display are you using? and does it have componet inpts? or are thinking of a PJ or Plasma in the near future?

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would buy a second hand Denon AVC10SE.

In fact I did a year ago and have never regretted it

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Turbo
    For 500quid you can get hold of the Nad t752 which is very good with music as well as movies(alot of Av Amps at this price sound crap with music) or as Ian says buy second hand ,if you arnt concerned about music most of the regular receivers are very good with av.
    PS i think yamaha are the only ones that do av amps without a radio in your price range.
    Cheers Gonzo.

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  6. Turbocharged5

Turbocharged5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the quick response.

At the moment my TV is a fairly standard 32" wide screen jobby but I also have a video projector which is great for playing games on :)

At some point I will upgrade the TV but for now it will do as the picture quality is more than satisfactory.

I did quiet like the sound of the NAD t752 especially as my current audio amp is an old NAD 3130 which I love! It's delt with everything that I have thrown at it. Unfortunately having read a lot of negitive reviews about the NAD's I kinda feel some what put off.

I was looking at the Onkyo 701 at the weekend but felt unsure about it seeing as it's a make I was unfamiliar with. But having read many positive reviews and thanx to Wilber I suspect I may be ordering one soon :)

Has anyone ordered from www.unbeatable.co.uk?

Cheers.

7. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I wouldn't fret about Onkyo as a brand - they're favoured by George Lucas so they must be doing something right