What AV amp with Tannoy revolution signature DC6T?

jackflash

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning to buy the package with the dc6t as frontspeakers, and the dc6 as rears, and the DC6LCR as centerspeaker. The review of What hifi in the april issue says ''treble sounds are absolutely as bright and crisp as they need to be, so avoid partnering them with an amp that's the wrong side of the brash at the top end''. So, what amp do not fall in this category? Is Marantz (7001) a good ''partner'' with this set?

thanks.

I'd also like to know what amp brands would and wouldn't work with these tannoys,
What about Onkyo's?

How about an Arcam amp??

They have a warmer sound. The AVR280 is reduced to £600 on Superfi and other sites.

Maybe an onkyo is a good match, but I don't like the looks / design of the onkyo models. I have a preference for marantz and maybe denon. But do they fall on the ''good side of the brash on the top end?" I don't exactly understand what 'what hifi'' means by this.

Batman: have you tried some different amps with the tannoys? Please share your experiences..

I dont know what your bugetary constraints are, but I would suggest that more of the total you are planning on spending, be distributed a little more in favour of the amp. For speakers of this quality, I would say something along the lines of the Arcam AVR-350, Marantz 8002 or Denon 4308 be considered a minimum.

If you ignore the complex and expensive video/audio processing in such amps, then the £1200-1500 of such an amp, divides by seven channels to give you a £350-450ish stereo integrated amp.

I can't imagine anyone recommending a £350-450 integrated as being a natural partner for £1k floorstanders and even if it will drive them (and it will) it's quality will certainly be a long way short of what the Tannoys would be capable of delivering. To put it another way, the Tannoys rather revealing nature would just show you how unrefined and grainy the sound of the average receiver is.

The amps above should be a starting point, even if it means looking at the DC4 based package to stay within budget and don't forget the huge effect a decent subwoofer will have.

Russell

Thanks Russell,
But a Marantz receiver is not an amp "that's at the wrong side of the brash at the top end'' (quote What hifi article)?
In other words: a marantz receiver (if powerful enough) is a good partner for the Tannoys?

There are reports Tannoy Rev. Sign. DC6T sounds great with Pioneer SC-LX81

Sorry for necroing this thread as the very first post i make, but you are landed on it while googling for the DC6T and Onkyo packages - its also become very topical again due to the 'bargain' DC6T (grab em quick, shops are moving them upwards in price again).

I recently made an AV System using Onkyo's 609, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T Fronts, Dali Zensor 1 surrounds and Dali Vokal front.

My report is :
Excellent, i know the Onkyo is not going to make the Tannoys sing to their maximum but it does a very very good job.

If i close my eyes on the system in almost any mode involving all speakers i can pick out the Zensor side speakers almost instantly - they are not bad but they are obvious in a system like this, clarity is what they can do though, oh and believe it or not DELIVER the full range. The Tannoys and the Vokal just meld beautifully into one, the soundstage is the entirety of the room in front of you. My other half and i listened intently over the weekend and both draw the same conclusion (the other half needed to be convinced about the system anyway), the Tannoys are invisible. Even though you know where they are, the sound is not there - if you know what i mean.

I am not an excellent reviewer as i do not have the ears to truly judge systems of high level, however i do have the ears for this system and it works well. I would change the Zensor 1's - and in fact if i ever plan on doing just that i am going to go and listen to some competition. I do know the Tannoys are screaming for a good amp, and i have future plans to move into a swapping cables system and pairing the Tannoys to a very decent amp setup for pure music... but its a long way away for now.

My 2 cents - again sorry to necro the original thread but the reply belongs here.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom