1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What AV amp to go with my hi-fi and tv?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Vipen, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    hi, new here so excuse any repeated requests.

anyway, i've just taken receipt of my toshiba 36zp18q tv and 220 dvd. i have old (but lovely) mission 753 speakers as my hi-fi and part of my simple pro-logic system.

now i'be got the new tv i need to consider an av amp for digital sound.

my budget is £300-£400 max. it needs to be quite powerful (not sure how much though) and quite musical, probably a tall order on my budget.

richer sounds seem to be doing alot of deals around the £300.00 mark, are any of these any good ie. sony, nakamichi, denon.

i really don't know how powerful an amp i need to ensure my front speakers are ok with hi-fi too.

cheers for any info..

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +891
    Hi

RS do have some good prices (provided they actually have stock!) and the Denon 1602 or 1802 would be on my list. Other brands to consider are Yamaha, Marantz, Harmon Kardon. It´s also worth checking out the Hardware/Classified Forum as some good amps/receivers appear there from time to time.

Cheers:)

3. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marantz SR6200 would be my choice, got mine for £380. But you need to listen to them all and choose which one sounds best to you.

4. jiml

jiml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you get an amp with pre-outs (or Yamaha E800), you can use your existing stereo amp for front pair and hi-fi maintaining the quality you are used to. Cheap AV amps do not do good hifi.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have the original Mission 753 as fronts, rears and centre front and rear. In normal stereo I use Naim NAC-72/NAP-250 with Epos ES11 speakers.
    Originally my single pair of front 753s were powered by my Naim, with a Mordaunt Short decoder and speaker package for pro-logic. I'm told they are a difficult speaker to drive properly, but obviously, I love 'em.
    Upgrading to Dolby Digital, I chose the Sony STR-DB930, using 753 as fronts, Mordaunt Short centre and rears. Very different sound to when using the Naim, but good all the same.
    The STR-DB930 was replaced when faulty with a STR-DB940, this didn't seem as powerful, not as good as before. I tried a STR-DB1070 this also was a backward step, but did bring DTS to try, wasn't happy with this either.
    I then changed to what I'm currently using, a Yamaha DSP-AX1, this works very well with my 753s, it's available at RS @£795. A few weeks ago, I tried a Denon 3802 with my speakers and thought it was very impressive, especially the 6.1 effects.
    Ultimately, the extra power of my Yamaha drives my Missions better with 2-channel stereo, than the Denon I thought, but I did enjoy DPL2 and so on.
    If it's any help I don't think you'll be delighted with any £400 AV amplifier for stereo performance with your 753s.
    Try them yourself, same advice always I guess.

6. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    cheers. i did actually think the budget of £400 may not be enough. looks like i'm going to have to save. may try some of these amps anyway, i had a pretty average stereo amp to begin with and i was happy with that.