1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What AV Amp for around £400 - £500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Oakey, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looking to upgrade my Sony DAV-S300 and had thought about the S888 but I'm now considering seperates. Get paid tomorrow, first place to start would be an amp. Have a budget of around £400-£500. What amp would be a good start? I don't have a huge room ( living back with my mum =/ ) but It'll be good to have something that'll last a while. At the moment I'm looking at the Marantz SR-7300 . It'll be going with a 32" Toshiba Picture Frame TV (original, also looking to upgrade to the newer model in the future. Obviously a new dvd player, speakers, etc will come at a later date.

So anyone have any opinions on the SR-7300? Would it be a good start for a beginner? Also, how does progressive scan work? If I have a progressive scan DVD player, and used component out to the component in on the Marantz, then component out of marantz to component in on the Tosh (I know my current model doesn't do Progressive scan) would progressive scan still work?

Thanks.

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The SR-7300 would be more than a good start, infact it's a pretty damn good receiver.

From my experience component loopthroughs through A/V receivers don't interfere with whether the image is progressive or not - although I've heard of many people having quite the oppisite.

You might also want to consider Pioneer's VSXD1011 and Denon's AVR2803 in your price bracket. The pioneer's around £520 and it's a THX Select Certified 7 channel amplifier, the Denon's around £490 and it's also a 7 Channel Amp (but no THX).

Try listening to them (or at least the marantz) before you spend any money.

If it were my money I'd go for the Marantz.

3. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, at last... a reply!! Thanks. The Marantz looks like a good start, I've been reading throught the forums and some people were mentioning faults but these seemed to be on early models. I'm not sure how this still stands. I did some searching around and managed to find the SR7300 for £420. For the rest of the system I'm looking at a Pioneer 757ai (£600 at unbeatable.co.uk but I don't know if that's multi-regin) DVD player although this may be overkill and I may get something cheaper if people can recommend a good performing DVD player with progressive scan, DTS ES, etc, etc. I'm also thinking of some Kef 2005.2 speakers. Will these work okay with this amp? Creative-Audio do 5 for £400 and that just leaves a sub. That might be left for a while, there's a sub with my Sony LISSA HiFi that I could use temporarily. One last question, looking at the photo of the rear of the Marantz on AVland.co.uk I can't seem to see where the sub plugs in (probably overlooked it). Any ideas? Thanks

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi Oakey,

The subwoofer connection is in the block of 8 pre-out phono connectors in the middle of the back panel. Hope this helps.

Steve

5. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Think I see it, the one that says 'SW' by any chance?

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oakey - more than likely!