• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What audio formats will the PS3 output?

ThickyCat

Standard Member
Just that really. I have (on backorder...) a 55" Samsung TV and a Sony STR DA2400ES amp. Speakers to be decided but probably Q Acoustics 1010i. But anyway...

I have a PS3 but I read somewhere that not all the available audio formats are supported and it would seem a pity to lay out so much dosh on this kit and then find that I'm not using the capabilities because the Blu-Ray player (the PS3) doesn't support all the audio.

Can anyone enlighten me on just what audio formats the PS3 will output through its HDMI connector, when playing BD discs, and which it won't please?

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
The PS3 currently decodes all of the lossless high defintion audio formats as well as all the normal lossy formats.

The decoding is done onboard the PS3 and is then output as a multi-channel PCM signal to your amp. Because the audio format has already been decoded your amp will not tell you what format it is receiving but you will still be getting the full HD audio resolution.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom