What ATMOS speakers should I buy?

Reaction score
Hello

I have just bought a new Denon X2600H amp, and am looking to get some new ATMOS speakers. At the moment I have Q Acoustics speakers, a 2000C centre speaker, and two 2010 bookshelf front speakers. I also have a pair of 2010 that I can use for rears, I am going to set them up this weekend.

I am planning on buying a Gemini sub. I wanted to ask, what would people recommend for a good set of upwards front speakers that would go well with this kit? I cant have ceiling speakers, so ideally want speakers that would just sit on top of my current bookshelf speakers. I would rather just buy those two speakers than buy a whole new set of speakers.

I have the 3000 series but they are the same size as yours. The problem is they are only 15cm wide with rounded edges. There’s only one set I found that would fit without hanging over and even then they don’t look good sitting on top of them. I bought the Onkyo ones just to try and I have placed them on my tv cabinet behind 2 small photo frames to hide them.

They do work very well in my room but there are far better ones.

I dont mind if they dont look the best, I dont really have space to put them anywhere else. I cant put them in the ceiling. I have some shelves above the AV cabinet, but there are three sets, that go all the way accross the alcove, and the top shelf is only 12 inches below the ceiling.

If you wish to have upfiring speakers then you have to work within certain parameters. The ceiling should be perfectly flat and made of a reflective material. It should be between 8 and 14 feet high. The speakers should be placed on or as near as possible to the front left and right. The speakers should be placed no higher than 50% of the ceiling height.

These Elac speakers have been having good reviews. I have been using KEF R50s for well over four years now.

When they arrive wire them in and you'll have to run Audyssey again. Remember to configure the speakers are Dolby Enabled FD. After you have run Audyssey change the setting to small and put the crossover at 150hz. With levels I would suggest you put the levels up by 2dB over what Audyssey has set.

Don't expect your ceiling to come alive with sound, it's much more subtle than that. You will get object based effects but you will notice a taller front soundstage.

Update us on how they sound. I find films sound better than Dolby demos. So far for me Jurassic world sounds really good as does Ready player one.

Thanks for the tips... I have no idea on what any of that means :laugh:

They are actually coming today now, I think I have Ready Player One on UHD disc, so I will use that to try things out.

BK havent confirmed when the sub is coming yet though, so maybe I will wait until that arrives and set everything up together.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom