1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are Your Top 10 Movies..

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Marc, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    ..THAT EVERYONE ELSE DETESTS?

ah ha, got you there. You came in here thinking "oh god, not ANOTHER top 10 movies thread" but this one is different. Yes that's right, i want you to list your top 10 movies that are universally hated. You loved Battlefield Earth? Great, this is the time to admit it. Kevin Costner really did it for you in Waterworld, superb, tell us about it!

If you can't manage 10, your standards are too high! But just go for as many as you can :) and if you have time, write a little bit about WHY you like the movie.

Of course i'll go first to get the ball rolling.. the order is not particularly relevant, oh and i own all these on dvd ;)

1. Starship Troopers 2 - ok so it's low budget, but at least it's not a rehash of the original, they try and go in a new direction and i quite liked it.

2. American Werewolf In Paris - to be honest i didn't like the original, which is hailed as a classic, so it was odds on that i'd like this one. Loads of gore, and some fairly cool (for the time) cgi werewolves add up to a fun film

3. Virus - bad acting, yes but who cares when you have a ship full of grotesque zombie robots? Not me that's for sure, i thought this was a blast!

4. Blair Witch 2 - Again another movie i couldn't understand why it is hated, i really liked it and found it spooky. It's great owning the dvd too cos there are tons of hidden bits in the frames you can try and discover, and then enter them on the website to get deleted scenes. Also there's a goth girl. nuff said :devil:

5. Club Dread - I found this movie to be hilarious. It's a horror spoof movie, but not in the same vein as the Scary Movie series which i didn't really enjoy. This one was just the campiest slasher movie ever and was a lot of fun for it.

6. Pearl Harbour - Any movie with the amount of explosions and gunfights this movie has can't be bad.. surely?

7. Tomb Raider 2 - I've never been able to see anything wrong with this movie, i was actually fairly enthralled by it. I didnt really take to the first one as i found it very shallow, but this one i really liked. Of course having Angelina Jolie in it didn't hurt. :devil:

8. Friday 13th Part VI - this is probably the most formulaic of all the F13 movies, you can actually time the deaths. There are 2 every 10 minutes throughout the movie apart from the beginning and end, yes i am that sad. I love the F13 movies and this is my favourite as it just takes the formula to the extreme. You'd have to be a F13 fan to understand my mentality ;)

9. Torque - i must have watched this 5 times, and i never tire of it's corny one liners or very unrealistic stunts, oh and there's a goth chick, that's enough for me :devil:

10. Anaconda - You know what, i've always loved this movie, sure it's cheesy and the snake looks fairly crap, but i thought it was a good creature feature. Some decent scares and Jennifer Lopez before she got the god complex.

cmon, don't be shy, it's finally time to tell the world you don't just like Citizen Kane and The Godfather ;)

2. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Gotta agree with you on a couple of things here, like the goth girl in BW2 :devil: :smoke: , Club Dredd nubile young women getting their paps out and a crazed maniac carving everyone up,gets :thumbsup: , Anaconda has also got Ice Cube spending an hour and half trying not to swear :cool:

3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Marc

For Torque, the goth chick is Jaime Pressly. I would recommend, on the strength of your Creep comments, you pick up Poison Ivy:The New Seduction.

Trust me :eek:

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    lol, i've only seen a couple of your posts and i've already established that you're a perv :laugh:

good on ya! :smashin:

5. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Trust me mate - so NOT a perv!! Not elaborating here!!!

I just referenced ONE movie where someone appears sans clothing!!! Can't help having the strangest knowledge base. (Sorry sounded aggressive but really isn't!)

Besides I agree with you on Tomb Raider 2 - not a masterpiece, but kinda fun!

6. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i was just kidding ;) and besides, nothing wrong with being a perv, hehe

cmon lets get some more lists going. i could have done two lists of all the crap i like ;)

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    No prob - no harm no foul as they say.

Hard to think of guilty pleasures really .........

Tomb Raider 1,2 are obvious ones but they aren't bad like Ishtar or Gigli bad.

Showgirls is a true classic bad movie and I know I've got Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers on Laserdisc somewhere. Charlie's Angels are also under the "so bad they're good catagory. Dogma is kinda lothed but I like it, Idle Hands isn't Oscar material but good fun too!

8. Pompey_Lad

Pompey_Lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hate films would include:

1. Magnolia - what the hell was that about? I couldnt even finish it.
    2. Intermission - Colin Farrell as a crazy drunk nutter (too cast-typed for me)
    3. Top Gun - do i need to give a reason?
    4. Dirty Dancing - tacky love with some dancing, more films should include this theme...
    5. That film with Madonna in after she married Guy Ritchie?

Any film with singers trying to make a switch.... they always work!

9. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Films what I liked but maybe weren't massive hits:
    Dune. A bit mad. Sting - nuff said. But I liked the water drops + voiceovers. It was good at the cinema (especially when they go into the really, really big spaceship).
    The Iron Giant. I'm a big softie and liked the themes in this.
    The long kiss goodnight. I liked it when whats-her-face got all hard. Especially with the smoking kid. edit: Oh and I thought Samuel Jackson was cool.
    Parenthood. Again I'm a softie.

Sorry that's all.
    I did enjoy magnolia, but wish I hadn't read other people's essays about "what it means" as I'd rather have uncovered some things myself or not at all.

10. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    The way I see it is you need a couple of corny/cheap films in any DVD collection. Some embarassing favs are:

Cliffhanger - cheesy and fun, John Lithgow has some good one liner's too
    Deep Rising - quite entertaining characters
    Event Horizon - a Paul Anderson film
    Leviathan - like the genre, better than virus at least
    Plus a few van damme films :)

11. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    OK

I struggle to find 10 films but here are a few in no particular order...

Club Dread - Me and the misses couldnt stop laughing, I spat beer across the room twice (perhaps it was the beer ?)

13th Warrior - :confused: :confused: I cnnot figure out why it was slated when it came out, must have watched it at least 5 times (which is a lot for me)

The Stand - I know it was a miniseries but. - All the way up until the really poor overly religious finale.

Raise The Titanic - An oldie but according to most a crappy. I just love the author Clive Cussler and his character Dirk Pitt - Roll on the new Film Sahara :clap: :clap:

From Hell - Jonny Depp & Heather Graham....... Oh no, sorry, that was s**t

12. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Maybe not popular in terms of box office receipts, but wouldn't call them carp ;) Esp. Long Kiss Goodnight.

13. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    Dean, you mentioned Deep Rising, which i left off my list because i didnt really know if anyone had heard of it, let alone had an opinion of it, but it's one of my favourite horror movies :) and it has one of my favourite actresses, Famke Janssen in it. I've not seen leviathan yet, and was going to buy it from dvdsoon because it's a cheapy there, but it didnt have 5.1 or anything so i didn't get it in the end, is it on a par with deep rising?

and Pompey Lad, i think you may have missed the point ;)

14. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Britney Spears : My Perogative :clap:

loved for obvious reasons. :D

15. Erling

Erling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably won't reach 10, but here are some of my guilty pleasures, in no particular order:

The aforementioned Waterworld. I've always had a soft spot for post-apocalyptic settings, like the Mad Max movies. Despite the plot holes, I actually find Waterworld entertaining - Dennis Hopper is hilarious ("Don't just stand there - kill something !!!". "Never too young to start..." - the latter when offering 10-year old Marjorino a cigarette.. ;) ) Absolutely love the score by James Newton Howard.

Barbarella: Unbelievably bad, but man oh man, was Jane Fonda a babe back then or what... :D

Le Mans: Virtually no story or plot, but still unavoidable for a motorhead like myself. I remember those light blue & orange Gulf Porsche 917s from my childhood and still get a tingle when seeing and hearing them.

Most movie critics seems to bash The Fifth Element, but I absolutely love it (and so does just about anyone else I've discussed it with...)

The Mummy Returns: Not exactly a good movie, but still enjoy watching it once in a while; not least because of the allure of Patricia Velasquez, and the very dynamic DTS soundtrack.

Show Girls: Bad movie about a bunch of generally unsympathetic people (except Molly of course...), but it still has certain..... ummmmmhhh, attractions.... :D

Cheers,
    Erling

16. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    seriously. Looking at my collection as I type, I have some real horrors that I like but alot hate. Here goes -

The Good Girl - everyone I spoke to hated it, but I think it is fantastic with Jeniffer Aniston playing a part completely alien to her usual.
    The Village not that bad at all. but once is enough.
    Pearl Harbour - Actually rather good IMHO
    Pieces of April - A gem, but I lent this out a few times and got it straight back with mouthfuls of abuse.
    Any Given Sunday - A typical Oliver Stone film that not alot like, but i found really exciting (even though I hate USfootball). Great sound BTW
    Coyote Ugly - again I found this good fun.
    Blade 2 - only good IMO for the sound which is IMO unbeatable
    Final Destination 1 & 2 - creepy
    Terminator 3 - again only for the sound. The film is cack.
    A Home at the End of the World - Loved this. Brilliant

17. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    If you liked Coyote Ugly, there's an Unrated Special Edition coming out on June 7th (R1). Same day as Gone in 60 Seconds SE (another movie that kinda sucks).

Don't ask me what's Unrated about it - I only stumbled on the information the other day!

18. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

19. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Yeah, I've got all of Angelina's movies that I can get on DVD. I'd recommend Gia to you (her best performance to date), but personally it's her book/diary that made me a fan.

20. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    No one's mentioned Godzilla (yes, the Matthew Broderick one). Am I so alone in thinking this was actually quite good? Reno was great, and the action was good big dumb fun.

21. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Yeah I'd definitely get Leviathan if you liked Deep Rising, I was pretty young when I first saw it and it actuallly scared me back then. The characters are likable and is a good fun movie. Unfortunately there is only the R1 release which doesn't have 5.1, still worth getting though. :thumbsup: If you know any other similar titles let me know :devil:

22. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    I can't think of many other creature features, but another of my favourites, and one that's probably a lot scarier than Deep Rising, is one called The Relic, about a monster loose in a natural history museum. It's very tense and has some nice kills too. If you haven't seen that i recommend checking it out.
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=95848

Also, Phantoms is pretty sweet, an early Beniffer movie about a group of people who end up in a deserted town where everyone appears to have died gruesomly for some unknown reason. Of course it's not unknown for long ;)
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=98479

23. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    nope you're not alone, i liked this a lot :) although the first time i watched it was in the cinema and by the time they started shooting missiles at 'zilla i really needed the toilet so i was glad to see him die and fall to the bottom of the ocean; of course this didn't turn out to be the end, and i had to sit there for another 30 mins or so hoping i wouldn't wet myself.

24. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I suppose this is a guilty pleasures thread...

A few mentions for Pearl Harbour, but my favourite Bruckheimer/Bay cheese fest is Armageddon. Some chronically bad performances (esp Afleck & Tyler) but I still love this movie.

Can't really think of a top 10, but other 'bad' films I really like are Demolition Man (some good funny bits & Sandra Bullock looking lovely) & The Running Man (just an old fasioned Arnie film, the relevence to modern reality TV has been overstated).

Leaving aside the more, ahem, visual scenes ;) I also thought Wild Things was a better crime thriller than most gave it credit for.

25. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Films I like, that others generally hate: (in no specific order)

Howard The Duck (Why does everyone hate this comic-based, 80's cult classic so much?! :confused: )

Urotsukidoji: Legend Of The Overfiend / Legend From The Demon Womb (This bete-noir anime title is genuinely superb, but everyone else seems to look at it as just a cartoon for perverts, full of tits n' tentacles! :eek: When you watch the original and uncensored version, and if you also know a bit about Japanese society, then the story does work quite well.)

Plan 9 From Outer Space (Okay, so it's Ed Wood, but it's a classic, especially in one scene, when two police-officers pick up their dead colleague, only to throw him off the stretcher - quite literally - when an explosion is heard!)

Until The End Of The World (Wim Wenders does make great films, albeit some of them being quite weird. This was one of the ones that many people found too weird... but I quite like it. I am still determined to obtain and view the 4-hour Director's Cut of this, which I believe is out on DVD somewhere. I just don't know when this might be.)

Pooch

26. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Excellent Marc, I knew there must be others out there like me (Godzilla fans, rather than those in need of the loo...)

Another one which I really LOVE, but is considered at best to be mediocre, is Rocketeer. It features Howard Hughes, and I was hoping in the wake of The Aviator's success, it might get at least get a decent DVD release, but it seems no one else really cares. Bill Campbell looked fantastic (with a very cool leather jacket, which for some reason always suck in my mind), Dalton was never better, it's got some great character turns, is beautifully evocative of its era, and was made back when Jennifer Connelly used to be enormous... All in all, a real forgotten gem.

27. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't think of 10 but here are a few. They're not really films of the "so bad they're good!" catergory just considered by many to be average, boring or possibly the actor, director's etc worst work. I disagree

Ang Lee's Hulk . IMO one of the best of the recent comic book adaptations. Definitely has the best musical score :smashin: .
    Can fully understand the criticism it gets .

Punch-Drunk Love . I really love this movie. After I saw it for the first time pressed play and watched it again. One PTA's best. I have it just ahead of Boogie Nights but behind Magnolia with Hard Eight 4th.
    Can (almost) understand the criticism it gets

Steven Soderbergh's Solaris . Not much of a fan of the typical "Hollywood romance film". Solaris and Punch-Drunk love, to me are two of the best i've ever seen. Visually it's stunning, CGI is minimal but seamless. For me, Clooney pulls off his best performance to date and what a score. I remember some reading that some reviewers found it distracting and annoying, I think it's beautiful and near perfection.
    Can wholeheartedly understand the criticism it gets though :)

The Thin Red Line . I can't really describe how great it think this film is. Ask me on the right day and i'll call it not only my favorite war film, but possibly the greatest film i've ever seen. beautiful and brutal, great score, with solid performances all round (although did Adrian Brody have any lines ?).
    Can fully understand the criticism it gets

As you can probably see music plays a big part in film for me. It adds so much to the mood. When people criticize these films I sometimes agree and always see where they're coming from. But sometimes a film just feels right, the mood feels right.
    On the flip side of the coin some films are from a technical standpoint superb, have great acting, great screenplays and a great plot. I can see it clearly but it don't feel right

28. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I rented the dvd as a 2 disc set and popped it in thinking "this'll probably be a bit weird, but I'll go with it and wait to see how all the bits come together". After about 15 minutes I was thinking "this is too odd". Then I realised I'd got in the extras disc, which was playing deleted scenes in random order. :cool:

This contained probably the most involved I've ever been in a film - when the landing craft are approaching the land, and the men are frightened of dying. I could feel a dry throat, a sense of "I can't get out of this". Brilliant, and much more involving for me than 'saving private Ryan'. I also thought the music when the main characters were with the tribespeople at the start was beautiful.

ps I was going to recommend 'Unbreakable' based on your choices, but I see it's already on your list. How about 'The Horse Whisperer' , 'The Iron Giant' and 'The Straight Story'?

29. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, keep thinking of them -
    what about -How to loose a guy in 10 days
    Kate Hudon is mighty fine. (I see a disturbing trend about my choices now :D
    man, I have some stinkers.

also, I agree with the above choice of Howard the Duck. That was a film I saw at the flicks when I was about 12, and although I've not seen it since, I remember loving it. Need to look out that one for old times sake

30. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I agree, I've never understood why it gets bashed the way it does. I really enjoyed the film and feel it's a lot deeper than most people give it credit for.