What are your thoughts on "woke" culture?

• Thread starter Deleted member 90731
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 90731

Reaction score
As per title.

Wow, 51 views in 15 minutes with no replies?

Last edited:
It’s a word now used generally derogatorily but wasn’t always so , has become a word like liberal .

Everything seems "Woke" nowadays. Just watch the TV adverts, no same race couples seem to exist anymore.
Happening in film alot as well. More female Rambo's as the main character. (Apparently its supposed to be sexy). Blood soaked muscle woman just dont do it for me.

90% of people are terrified of offending others anymore, nobody has their own opinions and thoughts these days. People just go along with what society thinks is the correct way.

Just take a look at what we've just been through with BLM, load of middle class white kids protesting and showing solidarity with poor black men. This lot had never given thought to how black people had been treated until its in the media.

Same with all this gender fluid stuff, celebrities putting pictures of their kids dressed in the opposite sex clothes because "they feel most natural"

99.99999% of the time people couldn't give a hoot what your kids up to, why release pics to the press.

Frustrates me. As you can probably tell

Everything seems "Woke" nowadays. Just watch the TV adverts, no same race couples seem to exist anymore.
Happening in film alot as well. More female Rambo's as the main character. (Apparently its supposed to be sexy). Blood soaked muscle woman just dont do it for me.

Unless it is a dubbed mainland Europe advert.

Interesting times that show how much the media and so called celebs can stir the pot.

Cannot see this thread lasting the day ;)

Pretty sick of it to be honest but like many, too afraid to say much for fear of being damned.

But I will raise one point that I have been pondering over the last year or so.

Is the media (film and TV) in danger of rewriting history? I think we can all agree that there have been unacceptable discriminations, behaviour and disparities in the past. But rather than keeping that, learning from it, woke culture seems to want to strike it from the records. Is there a danger that the next generation or two will grow up totally unaware that these discriminations, behaviours and disparities ever existed.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

Couldn't it also be a reflection of reality? 60 years ago mixed race couples were frowned upon by both side of the colour bar and if you chose to marry from another race you may end up ostracised, like a leper, from both communities. People in that sense at least are more tolerant these days so why wouldn't it also be reflected on the screen?

Frustrates me. As you can probably tell

Interesting, what do you find so frustrating about it? Related: pink used to be a "boys colour" and has a very interesting history if you wish to look into it as it shows you how fluid concepts and associations can actually be.

But rather than keeping that, learning from it, woke culture seems to want to strike it from the records.

Ah, now that is an interesting point. Deleting that which they don't want you to think about or see because it conflicts with what they want you to believe. Facism disguised as something for your benefit when it actually isn't as its designed to push a certain narrative which may not be in your best interests as it limits the information pool you have to draw conclusions from.

What an excellent insight.

Cannot see this thread lasting the day ;)

What makes you think that? Does the content offend or contravene the rules in any way? Are we only allowed to have "safe space" friendly discussions on here or can the community speak on whatever topics it feels with honesty and forthrightness without fear of judgement as that is, after all, the very crux of it all.

Ah, now that is an interesting point. Deleting that which they don't want you to think about or see because it conflicts with what they want you to believe. Facism disguised as something for your benefit when it actually isn't as its designed to push a certain narrative which may not be in your best interests as it limits the information pool you have to draw conclusions from.

What an excellent insight.

And just for the record, I‘m not suggesting that history is being written in some divisive Orwellian manner, it is all (mostly) being done with good intentions.

In the interests of inclusivity and equality, even historical dramas are now being written with a cast full of female and black characters including prominent and strong lead characters.

Do not underestimate how much people ‘learn’ their understanding of history from TV dramas and films.

And there is deliberate stuff too, like ripping down anything that can even be remotely linked to slavery.

I feel that is a danger that future generations will not appreciate of even understand the struggles that black people and women had to go through to be treated as equals. They will just think that the situation today has existed since time began.

Cheers,

Nigel

Do not underestimate how much people ‘learn’ their understanding of history from TV dramas and films.

There is a flip side to this coin as well. When Exodus: Gods and Kings came out a bunch of us were talking about it and virtually all of them (a proper multicultural milieu as well) were stunned to discover that the Pharoahs were actually Black thanks to a lifetime of watching movies such as The 10 Commandments, Gods of Egypt etc.. as well as their schoolbooks, documentaries and other cultural references a lot of people think that folks with skin as white as their teeth were sitting out in the Sub Saharan heat for generations upon generations building pyramids and whatnot.

Must've had some great sunblock! :rotfl:

The ancient Egyptians portrayed themselves as this:

Ancient_Egypt.jpg

Which makes perfect sense given the history, location and artefacts but the only person who ever shared this narrative on the screen was Michael Jackson in his aptly titled Remember The Time video so whilst I agree that history can and is being obscured/edited in front of our eyes this isn't in any way new because a lot of what you believe is based on the "wokeness" of old that stuck around long enough to become accepted as fact. Same process, different eras.

Last edited:
There is a flip side to this coin as well. When Exodus: Gods and Kings came out a bunch of us were talking about it and virtually all of them (a proper multicultural milieu as well) were stunned to discover that the Pharoahs were actually Black thanks to a lifetime of watching movies such as The 10 Commandments, Gods and Kings etc.. a lot of people think that folks with skin as white as their teeth were sitting out in the Sub Saharan heat for generations upon generations building pyramids and whatnot.

Ancient_Egypt.jpg

Which makes perfect sense given the history, location and artefacts but the only person who ever shared this narrative on the screen was Michael Jackson in his aptly titled Remember The Time video so whilst I agree that history can and is being obscured/edited in front of our eyes this isn't in any way new because a lot of what you believe is based on the "wokeness" of old that stuck around long enough to become accepted as fact.

And on the subject of Ancient Egypt, let us flip to modern times. Have you seen the disgusting social media flak Gal Gadot is getting for accepting the title role of Cleopatra in a new film.

The harm threats and bile she is receiving is disgusting and seems to be split between her being Israeli and her being a white woman representing a black African person.

Well the Israeli bit is just racism - have you noticed that in woke culture certain forms of discrimination and bigotry are permitted, actually encouraged.

And the black African bit - well they need to get their facts straight, Cleopatra was Greek.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
have you noticed that in woke culture certain forms of discrimination and bigotry are permitted, actually encouraged.

Of course, there is an interesting video I'd like to share which was actually part of the OP I'd originally written but subsequently edited as it contains some great insight into "wokeness" and those who promulgate it. The footage it uses contains profanity as it captures said people acting in rather childish ways, yelling, hitting, swearing and screaming at those who don't share their views and it amusingly shows how their behaviour contradicts their feigned tolerance but they lack the insight to see this.

I felt that dropping it early might bias the thread or make it seem controversial on purpose which wasn't my intent at all as I'm genuinely wondering what regular people think about The Topic That Musn't Be Spoken Of In A Non Supportive Sense as there is a good spread of regular folk on here that are literally having an agenda shoved down their necks 24/7 thanks to an exceedingly vocal minority online that have an insane amount of influence across pretty much everything.

The 51 people that saw the original OP in the wee hours can comment if they wish but I'd like to keep the discussion rolling so lets try and paint within the lines shall we. See? The very fact that I had to state that literally says everything, doesn't it?

There is a flip side to this coin as well. When Exodus: Gods and Kings came out a bunch of us were talking about it and virtually all of them (a proper multicultural milieu as well) were stunned to discover that the Pharoahs were actually Black thanks to a lifetime of watching movies such as The 10 Commandments, Gods of Egypt etc.. as well as their schoolbooks, documentaries and other cultural references a lot of people think that folks with skin as white as their teeth were sitting out in the Sub Saharan heat for generations upon generations building pyramids and whatnot.

Ancient_Egypt.jpg

Which makes perfect sense given the history, location and artefacts but the only person who ever shared this narrative on the screen was Michael Jackson in his aptly titled Remember The Time video so whilst I agree that history can and is being obscured/edited in front of our eyes this isn't in any way new because a lot of what you believe is based on the "wokeness" of old that stuck around long enough to become accepted as fact. Same process, different eras.

Not disagreeing with you but your post reminded me of this :)

As for all this "Woke" stuff I think a lot of it that we are seeing is due to corporations presenting it via their advertising to appear to be inclusive & relevant. And more to the point to make their product appealing to as many different groups as possible. They are fishing with the biggest net they can. Makes sense from a commercial perspective.

Last edited:
Interesting, what do you find so frustrating about it? Related: pink used to be a "boys colour" and has a very interesting history if you wish to look into it as it shows you how fluid concepts and associations can actually be.

I find it frustrating that peoples moral compass is so easily thrown off track by the next fad to come along.

Pink is a good example, i have some pink clothes, one of my daughters hates pink. I've never once thought of it anything other than a colour of material. Why turn it into a statement?

Covid is a great example, the ones freaking out at the beginning begging for action, telling the government to lock us down for our own safety. "Boris the butcher" and all that are the same ones protesting now saying lockdown measures are infringing on our human rights. Make your mind up.

Not disagreeing with you but your post reminded me of this :)

As for all this "Woke" stuff I think a lot of it that we are seeing is due to corporations presenting it via their advertising to appear to be inclusive, non-racist etc and more to the point to make their product appealing to as mass cross ethnicity/gender/sexuality people as possible.

That was fun.

The corporations are definitely pandering, after all they gave good ol Uncle Ben the axe for no seeming logical reason other than the free advertising and retweets it would bring as they simply want money by any means and will ride any wave to get it but thats a tangent to the main topic.

I find it frustrating that peoples moral compass is so easily thrown off track by the next fad to come along.

This was exactly the point that was addressed in the video I'd originally linked as he stated these folk attempt to take the moral high ground whilst having no morals at all but entirely lack the insight to see the contradiction as they so desperately want to belong to something and when it switches, so do they ergo its not really real in the sense of being internally generated as its just a thin veneer, a mask, a role that is played for their own gain.

I don't necessarily think that being "Woke" is a bad thing. But I do think that some aspects of Wokeism (If that is a term?) do include a lot of negative ideas and narratives that are at best unhelpful.
I guess as a 54 year old working class white man raised to stand up on my feet on a London council estate it's just too touchy feely for me and I'm inclined to think Grow a Pair and stop all this whining.

Your lack of wokeosity is disturbing.
Please remain where you are and a Woke Support Assistant will be with you in order to direct you toward the nearest Wokeness Symposium for mandatory Rewokening Classes:

Bring back the days of casual sexism, racism and general bigotry it did me no harm as a white , heterosexual male . If you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen . Bloomin uppity minorities demanding representation and fairness

Bring back the days of casual sexism, racism and general bigotry it did me no harm as a white , heterosexual male . If you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen . Bloomin uppity minorities demanding representation and fairness

I can sense the irony.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

One thing that really irritates about the latest BBC and ITV dramas, such as police/detective dramas, is that the lead is almost always female.

Now I don’t have a problem with this as such, what I don’t like is all the baggage and backstory it always comes with.

Why can’t the women be in a position of authority because they are really good at their job and that has been recognised and rewarded.

Instead, they have always had to do it in spite of evil, corrupt, incompetent white men around her and at home. Invariably, she has an abusive husband at home (to justify her sleeping with a young male (or female) colleague), her male colleagues are incompetent, sometimes corrupt and although she is the best officer in the force, she was repeatedly passed over and had to fight so much harder than everyone else.

Not saying something like that hasn’t ever happened but I get sick of seeing it in every new police/detective drama.

Just give me original drama with strong female and minority leads without a load of woke baggage - and give them some character flaws, fed up with all these Mary Sue characters.

Cheers,

Nigel

My thoughts - brings out the whiniest insecure crybaby snowflakes and loads of pricks show their true colours.

Anyway, I've got a fresh bingo card and marker I can't stop sniffing, for this thread.

Just give me original drama with strong female and minority leads without a load of woke baggage - and give them some character flaws, fed up with all these Mary Sue characters.

The fact that they have to oversell it like a WWF punch and lay it on so thick is quite disingenuous as in many ways it shows its all lip service, equality pandering because they don't believe the character is strong enough to stand on her own two feet without the sob story. Its this schism, the blatant disconnect that people don't seem to perceive that I find most interesting because its literally right there in your face, and yet they don't see it as they chalk it up as a "win". It all goes back to what I said about these "wokees" being in it for the hype/eCred and not really feeling it from inside because anyone who was genuine would look and say "You having a laugh?" because its so obvious what they're doing.

My thoughts - brings out the whiniest insecure crybaby snowflakes and loads of pricks show their true colours.

Anyway, I've got a fresh bingo card and marker I can't stop sniffing, for this thread.

You seem quite angry based on the brevity of what you've shared and the vitriol contained therein. Would you like to elucidate further as you seem to be saying two different things at once? As you can see the vast majority of people who've replied so far seem to be of the same mind so nothing to fear here by calling it how you see. Or don't if you can't/won't. No pressure, just interested.

Also, what the heck has bingo got to do with this? Is it some kind of inside joke?

A lot of the problem is normalisation of the white/straight view as the only way - to the point where if a program or advert has a couple of female it is met with tuts and 'this is just pandering to woke culture' snowflakeism.

Have a cast of all males - great, perfectly normal. Have a cast of all females, its met with "wow this isn't natural - we should just have the best people for the job etc". Same goes for race, sexuality etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom