1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your rights.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Dharans69, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Dharans69

Dharans69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,

Cutting a long story short:

Got a 32ZP48, its developed a fault, the set is now 2 months old, its taken me the best part of a month for the shop to repsond to me, despite reporting the fault within 14 days of noticing it. The shop where I bought it want to repair it.

CUSTOMER SERVICES should better be known as CUSTOMER NO SERVICE, as you can never get through to them.

Personally I don't think that it should be repaired and should be replaced. As a consumer what are my rights, to either get a refund, or get a replacement set?

This particular dealer I would never deal with again, or recommend, I thought that purchasing locally I would be able to resolve any issues quickly, however itis far from that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Baz

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How did you report the fault to them? Take no ****e,did you pay be credit card? That can help you if you did,i wouldn't accept a repair.What's the fault BTW?!

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Have you spoken to Toshiba directly yet? Give them a call and explain the situation clearly and politely and see what they say. In my experience speaking to the manufacturer gets you further than talking to most re-sellers.
    My brother had his TV replaced by the makers even though it was outside warranty because he put a good case forward. In your case it should be straightforward.

Cheers, Mylo :)

4. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    May be worth a try but from a legal stand point your contract is with who sold you it not who made it ;)

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    You have legal rights against manufacturer and the retailer - if you bought it by credit (and it is more than £100) then you also can exercise your rights against the firm providing credit.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    If it is actually faulty (as opposed to misadjusted, but within "tolerance", or you just don't like it) see here:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

Send the retailer a recorded delivery letter (or better still, also ask for delivery confirmation) (or take it in person) stating that you wish to exercise your rights under the above act and demanding a full and immediate refund. Keep a copy.

Don't accept a repair or a replacement. Buy the replacement from somewhere else (eg John Lewis).

7. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    You can only really take legal action against the retailer. That is whom your contract of sale is with.

8. HarshKarma

HarshKarma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do what nigel said.

AFAIK once you accept a repair it can no longer be returned so be careful!

If the retailer stall for any reason simply contact the manufacturer, state that it is faulty but that the company you bought from is refusing a refund.

Personally I would accept a replacement direct from the manufacturer (or from a different shop).

9. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

Sorry to hear you are having problems.
    I recently had some issues with dead/stuck pixels on my Sharp Aquos lcd screen and eventually ended up with a very good screen that was free from any pixel problems.

Initially I contacted the retailer to inform them of the problem and they did state that I had to contact them within 28 days and therefore my problem should be taken up with Sharp.
    As far as I am concerned , this was utter tosh as my contract was with the store , however before kicking up a fuss I contacted Sharp to see what they could do for me.

Thankfully the service I recieved from Sharp was second to none and I am now happy with my purchase.
    I would therefore contact Toshiba directly to see if they can help and if this does not have success then go to your retailer and demand either a refund or a exchanged product.

I am sure we all agree that if a product fails in 2 months then it is unreasonable to expect the customer to have it repaired.

Good luck

Drphibes

10. jamesvtidohc

jamesvtidohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    VERY TRUE! just search for sales of goods act, hang on, ive got it here :laugh:

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1994/Ukpga_19940035_en_2.htm

also, search for consumer rights, the 30 day, 14 day blah blah is [profanity removed-lynx]

as long as you have proof of purchase, your receipt in this case, your still covered for the next few years!

11. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for this very useful link, James. :)

12. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    THIS

http://www.john.antell.name/SOGA1979.htm

is all you'll ever need. He even keeps it updated.

Have a look at S48A3 in particular. Any breakdowns within 6 months taken to be there at the sale.

You can claim rescission of the contract under that section and return of your money.

Not Sound and Vision BTW is it??

13. Dharans69

Dharans69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies, been most helpful.

CLH, I didn't say it was S&V ;)