• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What are your most frustrating pieces of useful technology and why ?

GBaxter

Standard Member
What are currently your most frustrating piece/s of 'useful' technology
(whatever your serious or humorous definition of that is) and please say
why, for anything mentioned.

stevefish69

Prominent Member
HDMI and it's associated handshake problems :thumbsdow

Because it's handy as hell but a right pain in the arse

funkyspider

Prominent Member
Our photocopier at work takes forever to warm up and has the most confusing mini-touchscreen interface in the world. I don't want to do double sided, I dont want it stapled, I dont want it automatically arranged into book sections in little trays and I certainly dont want it folded into a nice fan somewhere inside the inner workings of the copier so that I have to open all manner of secret compartment to find the jammed paper - All I want is a single a4 copy goddam you !

Other than that, windows networking. Trying to get a mixture of Vista and XP machines to share folders can drive you insane sometimes !

Ian J

Banned
The idrive on my BMW as it is the most user unfriendly thing I've come across.

In the old days car heating was easy to work as one slider looked after the level of the heat and another the direction but now it's very complicated.

The satnav on Mercedes that I've owned is fairly easy to operate but BMW in their desire to make theirs do as many different things as possible is far more unfriendly to operate - especially on the move.

dalethecaptain

Established Member
Sat Nav in general. Only an idiot gets in a car and does not plan/know where they are going/want to go.

Ian J

Banned
Sat Nav in general. Only an idiot gets in a car and does not plan/know where they are going/want to go.

No wonder you're frustrated as you have obviously misunderstood the purpose of satnav as it isn't there to decide where to go but to tell you how to get to wherever it is that you want to go.

If I'm wrong and you were actually saying that only idiots use satnavs please do confirm as I would hate to ban you for calling me an idiot if that was not in fact what you meant :)

WhyAyeMan

Prominent Member
Anything mobile phone with windows mobile on it. Absolute pants. OK, its a powerful platform, but I've seldom come across anything as un-user friendly, unstable, or slow.

I've owned Windows mobile devices for about 2 years and I ended up getting so frustrated with it, I ended up getting an iphone instead (far superior IMO).

dalethecaptain

Established Member
No wonder you're frustrated as you have obviously misunderstood the purpose of satnav as it isn't there to decide where to go but to tell you how to get to wherever it is that you want to go.

If I'm wrong and you were actually saying that only idiots use satnavs please do confirm as I would hate to ban you for calling me an idiot if that was not in fact what you meant :)

Im talking about the people who drive past my house everyday and realise the street is a dead end (due to a low bridge). Its shown quite clearly on the Sheffield A to Z!

The Sat Nav in my car does not show it either, but it will tell me where the nearest customer service centre is...

whatsupdoc

Established Member
My Sony DVD/HDD Recorder.

Updates the EPG with three whirrs/clicks every hour and it's just two feet away from my pillow! It also likes to do disk housekeeping in the early hours.

clockworks

Prominent Member
Anything that uses Bluetooth where basic RF or IR would do the job. No benefit, but hugely reduced battery life, plus the constant need to reconnect.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
HDMI and it's associated handshake problems :thumbsdow

Because it's handy as hell but a right pain in the arse

My issue with HDMI it doesn't auto switch - when "primitive" old SCART did!!! Why was auto switching not in the spec???

Windows Explorer / Google Chrome - both crash randomly.

Converting movies for play back on portable devices - the most frustrating, unpredictable process EVER.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Let me add the following to the list:

1) Computer Printers and Cartridges
- Why is it now cheaper to buy a brand new printer (with free cartridges included) than it is to physically just buy one of the replacement cartridges?! :confused:

2) SCART cables and connections
- I know they are good, and when they connect properly do a great job, BUt that still doesn't explain to me why a) some SCART connections on TV's and other home-cinema equipment is placed in one direction, and on others, the same ruddy connection is placed 180 degress the other way, making it upside down! :suicide: Oh, and why do SCART connections never seem to stay put? Is it not possible to make the connections tighter, so that they don't start to work their way free, due to the weight of the cable pulling down on the actual connector?! :mad:

3) With all the modern technology we have, why do we still have sooo much paper in our "paperless offices"?! :eek:

Pooch

Ian J

Banned
1) Computer Printers and Cartridges
- Why is it now cheaper to buy a brand new printer (with free cartridges included) than it is to physically just buy one of the replacement cartridges?! :confused:

The printer complete with half empty cartridge is sold as a loss leader in the hope that they will make their profits on future cartridge sales

D

Deleted member 30535

Rechargeable batteries - one needs a set ready to be used in case any batteries fail, but they do not seem to hold their charge for long. This results in additional non-essential charges which reduce the life expectancy. Not sure they really are cost effective!

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Rechargeable batteries - one needs a set ready to be used in case any batteries fail, but they do not seem to hold their charge for long. This results in additional non-essential charges which reduce the life expectancy. Not sure they really are cost effective!

agree with that - I never really understood what's going on with re-chargeables. I don't think I ever get the best out of them. Far too many choices out there in terms of battery brands, types, capacity and chargers.

clockworks

Prominent Member

There are some NiMH AA rechargeables available now that don't suffer from this "self-discharge" condition that affects normal NiMH and NiCad rechargeables.

There's an eBay seller ("itl-e") selling them, badged as "Instant" brand. I bought some a few months ago, and they work as described.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom