Quantcast

What are your AV purchasing decisions based on (click the ones which apply to you)?

What are your AV purchasing decisions based on (click the ones which apply to you)?

• Mainly magazine and/or online editorial reviews

Votes: 76 36.7%
  • Mainly forum/blog opinions

Votes: 84 40.6%
  • Mainly auditions

Votes: 36 17.4%
  • Some magazine and/or online editorial reviews

Votes: 94 45.4%
  • Some forum/blog opinions

Votes: 76 36.7%
  • Some auditions

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • Not magazine and/or online editorial reviews

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Not forum/blog opinions

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Not auditions

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • What looks nice in the shop

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Pot luck

Votes: 7 3.4%

• Total voters

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
So how do you decide what to buy for your home entertainment system?

KhalJimbo

I voted for some forum/blog options, as alot of my stuff has been bought from demos alot has also been bought blind due to not being able to demo first.

Which was in the case of my Monolith and AV Reciever.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
While I don't have a "proper" AV setup. It still fufills my needs, and every piece of hardware I bought I've research throughly. So mostly my own opinion of it, and a little bit of professional reviews and forum opinion.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Difficult subject this. My purchasing decisions come down to a whole range of things. First and foremost detailed analysis of the specifications - there is no point buying a bit of kit unless you know it is capable of doing what you want. This is normally supported by reading reviews (magazine and internet) and hearing feedback/comments on the forums. And for expensive/critical kit there is then the auditioning phase (ideally including home trial). Finally, and I know this really shouldn't matter, the looks of the thing do have some bearing.

All in all I don't think you can rely on a single source to make your decision. I tend to find magazine reviews are a little too shallow and, especially for things like Blu-ray players, tend to be overtaken by events very easily (e.g. 'lows' rectified by firmware updates). Forums are much better as multiple opinions means advice is error checked/argued by others but even then factions form and 'favourites' can emerge - the Oppo 'mafia' for example - and then everything else is shotdown and withers before such postings. And as for dealers - some are great and very knowledgeable - others are the complete opposite.

Jaseamondo

A little forum advice can be helpful but i really always audition things before i buy them. Sometimes this ain't possible but i defo recommend it .Forum advice just like mag reviews are only somebodys opinion ,yours may or may not match.