1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you watching tonight

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Timh, Nov 25, 2000.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I'm Watching Galaxy Quest DTS tonight, cant wait because I'm a big trek fan. Also I'm a DTS virgin, I will see what all the fuss is about later.

cheers

Tim

------------------
    Today is a good day yo die

[This message has been edited by Timh (edited 25-11-2000).]

2. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Tim - I'll be really interested in what you thought of GQ - I have the DTS version too and think the film is top notch on all respects although I'm not a big Trek fan ...
    [​IMG]

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    For me it's early morning alread but I just watched my two new DVDs (just arrived by mailorder):

Set it Off (1996)

Mentioned in Duncan's thread before that I saw a part on it on TV (SAT) and upon that I ordered the DVD.
    Now it's here and it seems I missed a bit more than the 30 minutes like I thought but at least I now understand why those 4 women start robbing banks.
    And I can see the uncensored version now, too!
    Won't say much more but let's just say I like movies without happy end.
    Very nice indeed, rather a drama than an action flick but there are enough robberies / shootings and chases to keep your sound system busy (DD 5.1) and the picture is excellent, too.
    DVD features both widescreen and fullscreen version, selectable via menu - no flipping required, hardly any extras though personally I don't mind that.

Movie: ****
    Sound: ****
    Picture: ****
    Extras: **

Perfect Blue (Manga/Anime)

My first Manga (Jap. cartoon) movie I have seen at all. Was a kind of a "risk-order".
    Rated 2nd best after the famous "Akira" (not released yet) and supposingly a could-be mix between Hitchcock and Disney it uses plain / simple 2-D graphics but still manages to draw you into the story which slowly develops.
    In fact this movie requires your full attention else you may not understand (and I must admit I need to watch it at least once more) what's going on.
    Got a nice plot twist at the end where the killer is revealed though of course I will not give the ending away here ...
    Ah, and it's a bit of adult orientated, nothing for the kiddies!
    There are several soundtracks (incl. English DD5.1) on the disc though there is not much use of the surrounds and the LFE - so my first impression.
    Picture quality is good since cartoons look anyhow good on DVD, but then again it's not perfect though it will not make you enjoy the movie less.
    Several Extras are included, too.

Movie: ****
    Sound: ***
    Picture: ***
    Extras: ***

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi Paul
    Where do I start.
    Picture quality was average, I am used to pal,so ntsc did'nt look quite as good on my 41" tv.
    Sound quality in dts was a bit lame half the time, but when it got going it was great,especially when Tim Allen first got transported, the base was amazing, my budget sub has never sounded so good before.
    As for the film it was quite good, but I expected a bit more after all the hype
    As usual from a yank film your best ignoring the hype, and take it as it comes.Overall my family rearly enjoyed it.
    I have'nt got round to the extras yet, maybe later.
    Picture 7/10
    Sound 8/10
    film 8/10
    extras ?
    Saving Private Ryan dts next weekend, cant wait. [​IMG]
    Tim

------------------
    Today is a good day yo die

[This message has been edited by Timh (edited 26-11-2000).]

5. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it's a week from this thread's initial posting, but it's a timeless and interesting question!

Last night I decided on The Insider which I hadn't seen before. Not sure about tonight as I've invited my landlord's two lads (I live in the spare space at the end of their home) round for a surround-sound-tastic evening.

Hopefully they'll get into it enough I'll be called on to sort them out with a new system! d:)

The Insider was great, but bugger all surround effects. The music was wonderfully atmospheric, but I thought some scenes, like people in restaurants, could have utilised the rear speakers more.

Great picture though.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

6. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +633
    I too am watching Galaxy Quest. On glorious VHS with analogue DPL, and a tape that has probably been through 20 filthy Baird or Ferguson VCRs already !! Just a rental copy and it was not in on DVD yet. But I wanted to see the film after seeing the reviews a few months back.

7. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    VHS??? SOK, are you feeling OK? [​IMG]

I just watched Breakdown on R1 DVD which I recieved from Futureent this morning. Seen it before on video, sh*t now there I go.... anyway it went down an absolute treat, really good sound for this type of film, FULL of bass - very nice.

BTW, watched Midnight Run last night - what a class film that is, very funny and SO enjoyable to watch. Shame this film was treated so badly on DVD - NO EXTRAS and Pro-Logic sound. Lucky I got it as part of Virgin's 2 for £25 deal [​IMG]

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just finished watching Deep Blue Sea on R1. I have owned it for around 9 months now, but y Wife has never got round to watching it...there was nothing on TV so I decided to put it on.

She was not impressed...as far as she was concerned the only redeeming thing about this film was LL Cool J. She said that the sharks looked plastic and when they attacked someone they looked like someone was throwing them around by the tail in a fish tank with an Action Man in their mouths!!

Oh well....I like it...

...women, will we ever be able to work them out...lol

------------------
    "Why do I do this? Three reasons: the pay is good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives."

http://www.ypcc.co.uk

9. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe, did a Home Cinema demo for my landlord and one of his sons tonight!

He's a h-u-g-e Eagles fan ... so he got several songs from the awesome Hell Freezes Over dts disc. This even got interactive as he asked to see/hear certain tracks, AND I got to play him the dts-only bonus track which he hadn't heard before.

We ended up watching The Sixth Sense tonight though. I hadn't seen it on DVD before. It's a fantastic film, but like The Insider last night, didn't seem to have very much going on in the rear speakers at all.

I guess I just like to hear something coming out of them every now and then to check they're okay! d:)

Actually, I was sat off-centre to allow my vistors the top seats in the house, and I'd turned on the AVC-A10SE's Dynamic Range Compression for the first time ever. By this time it was 9pm and I have neighbours on the other side of my 'living room' that just *Must* be able to hear it, but haven't complained yet. I don't dare go round to check in case I find it IS a problem for them... gotta buy a place of my own...

I've found myself juggling the volume up and down usually as spoken bits are fine normally but the loud bits are just TOO damn loud if the volume remains the same. The range compression seemed to help quite nicely at the medium setting although I had to raise the volume to compensate.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

10. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...last night: Hong Kong director Wong Kar-wai's 1997 Cannes winner of the 'Golden Palm' for 'Best Director' "Happy Together" ... or style over content (just MHO, of course!)... (Kino on Video - image/letterbox/Chinese with English subtitles) ( ** /**** )

...tonight: Robert Harmon's 1984 R-rated "The Hitcher" starring C. Thomas (whatever happened to him?) Howell, Jennifer Jason-Leigh and Rutger Hauer in his most rabid mode... (HBO)

...tomorrow evening: Roger Donaldson's 1984 "The Bounty" starring Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins, Edward Fox, Laurence Olivier (MGM/anamorphic widescreen)

. . .

[This message has been edited by European (edited 02-12-2000).]

11. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +633
    Well I thought Galaxy Quest stunk the place out !! Very very disappointed after all the reviews I had read. I would put it down as one of those films that I will watch once but NEVER again. Some of the special effects were excellent, but the humour was a bit pathetic.

And Tee, could I just say that I agree with you again regarding Midnight Run - one of the funniest films over the last 15 years. The actors looked like they had a great time making the film, and I think that there are lots of people who haven't seen it or even heard of it. I think it was that film that showed me that De Niro (my favourite actor) could be incredibly funny as well. Shame about the treatment of the DVD though.

12. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    To Sok
    I also thought Galaxy Quest was overated, it was o.k but not brilliant, which is what I expected.
    I watched Saving Private Ryan last night, I also thought this was a little overated it was also good but not brilliant, dts soudtrack rearly rocked when it got going. [​IMG]
    At least SPR was'nt one of those yank film's gloryfying the American flag, and standing up with there hand on there chest singing their National Anthem.

Tim

------------------
    Perhap's today is a good day yo die

13. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    This weekend I have watched ...
    Chicken Run - Very clever & all that but it aint Wallace & Grommit ... Some nice DTS moments like when the oven comes on in the Pie machine - overall I'd give it (6/10)
    LA Confidential - Got this as my missus is hooked on Russell Crowe after I made her watch Gladiator - One of the best films I have seen for a long time - Doesn't push the DD5.1 much until the shoot out at the end but overall (9/10)

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."