What are you watching tonight/watched last night??? Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sherlock Holmes

Finally got round to watching this last night, it's good but not as good as expected.. I thought it got a little slow mid way then picked up again towards the end.

Still I will watch the sequel :).

3/5

Lonely Place to Die - 8/10
I know there's been debate about whether the film is better or worse in the last 20 minutes but I thought it was excellent throughout. I thought it was well paced right up to the climax.
Brilliant film ruined by the last act which turned into a very poorly-made and silly action film. The fat villain was walking around like Jason X with a shotgun in the middle of a town festival, no signs of police or security at a festival? Just too many plot holes, last acted stopped me giving this an 8.

First half was just beautiful, great use of scenery and suspense.

Brilliant film ruined by the last act which turned into a very poorly-made and silly action film. The fat villain was walking around like Jason X with a shotgun in the middle of a town festival, no signs of police or security at a festival? Just too many plot holes, last acted stopped me giving this an 8.

First half was just beautiful, great use of scenery and suspense.

Watched this last night and agree with the silliness of the latter parts. Wasn't as impressed with the first part of the movie but it was a decent enough watch.

Just signed up to lovefilm on ps3 so far have watched

Unknown - Liam neeson (i will find you, I will kill you...) plays a similar character to taken, was expecting more from the ending felt it ran out of steam 7/10
The Hangover - first time I've actually seen it, very good, nice cast and funny 8/10
Taking of Pelham 123 - John Travolta I feel actually gives a better performance then Denzel, not bad film all around easy watching 7/10
Just started RED.

watched tucker and dale vs evil last night - 7/10, and watched The Darkest Hour earlier today - 6/10

Just found this thread, better late than never I guess :)

Last night I finally watched Scott Pilgrim vs the World on BD which I thought was something really original and different with a real full on soundtrack, great fun

Tonight I've just seen a film that has totally blown me away though, I've been saying for ages now that I don't seem to get a rush from films like I used to, it's like they don't make great films any more, just blockbusters, I've put that one down to the fact that TV is so good now with things like 24 and Dexter, they really give you an excitement fix, anyway, so I've been buying some lower budget films that have got great reviews hoping to find the odd gem or two.

Well tonight I found a real treat, I'm probably the last one to see this but if you haven't seen it don't read anything about it, just order it, watch it, then watch the film makers interview extra after and I guarantee you'll want to watch it again, straight away, it's called 'Catfish'

Play.com - Buy Catfish online at Play.com

Don't read the reviews on Play as they are mostly written by people who just didn't get it, it really is something original and fresh.

I think catfish could be worth another watch, I've not seen it for some time. I do remember it being nothing like the trailers suggested though.

Tonight I watched Jennifer's Body,

Before I get slagged off for watching a teeny bopping American film I was told by the other half we should watch something she would like for a change... I actually thought it was quite average but my god Megan Fox is a fine specimen.

Anyway 2/5 and that's just because of the eye candy.

Last night I viewed Room In Rome on BD. This flick defines what an art movie is. Two women spend most of the film naked in a room in Rome and periodically peer at the art in the room or is the art peering at them? ;) If one likes naked movies, this film is for you.

This morn I watched Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo that I recorded off TCM. It might just be Hollywood's best, made during WW2, war movie...? I like it and recommend it. It's the Doolittle raid without Ben Affleck....an' I like it like that! ;)

Saw Goon (2011) this afternoon, fairly rubbish hockey film. Never was a fan of seann william scott films and this is another one to add to his dumb flicks.

I'm currently struggling through 'Manhattan', I've not seen many Woody Allen films and I don't think I like him!

GloryHornet said:
I'm currently struggling through 'Manhattan', I've not seen many Woody Allen films and I don't think I like him!

Okay made it through and I didn't really get it.

Yes it's occasionally funny, there are some great one liners but what is it about?

Spoilers ahead.

I couldn't believe what i was watching as the Allen character dashed over to Tracey's apartment for the final scene, and his speech about not wanting her "special thing" to change!

I saw that as him, a much older man not wanting her youth and innocence to change. Ruddy pervert!

If anyone has differing view, I'd be glad to read it.

2 out of 5

I re-watched my DVD of the excellent Magnolia over the course of the last two days. Although this is often regarded as Paul T Anderson's Magnum Opus, I have to say I still prefer Boogie Nights. 'Nights has such a wonderful feel-good factor about it. Even when things fall apart, the joy at seeing them re-assembled at the end brings everything full circle- and the soundtrack is one of the best ever.

Magnolia is different. The same ensemble of actors are there, and the style is very similar. But its relentless misery. A tale of recrimination, guilt, damaged human beings, alienation and deep, deep regret.

..And frogs.

What is undeniable about the film is the acting. Holy ****, the acting. Some of the best performances Ive ever seen bar none. From all of them. Can't wait to see Anderson's next film, and hope he re-uses many of his tried and tested team of actors.

8.5/10

Obviously, you're an admirer of fine art. ;) I'm so moved by this film that it's inspired me to make a sequel, an unofficial modest one. My film will be called Room In Gatlinburg.

Last night I needed a really absurd movie. My mood demanded it.

"My name is Lt. Aldo Raine and I'm puttin together a special team....I don't know about y'all, but I sure as hell didn't come down from the gawddamn Smoky Mountains, cross five-thousands miles of water, fight my way through half of Sicily, and jump out'a auh fuggin' aero-plane to teach the Nat-zis lessons in humanity...each and every man in my command owes me 100 Nat-zi scalps..."

"...bonn-jurr-know..."

Quentin had to of been Brad's dialect coach for Inglourious Basterds...??? Whomever et were done et rite. I should know, I've been to Maynardville! ;) At's rye-ght...bonnjurrknow brown kow.

I re-watched my DVD of the excellent Magnolia over the course of the last two days. Although this is often regarded as Paul T Anderson's Magnum Opus, I have to say I still prefer Boogie Nights. 'Nights has such a wonderful feel-good factor about it. Even when things fall apart, the joy at seeing them re-assembled at the end brings everything full circle- and the soundtrack is one of the best ever.

Magnolia is different. The same ensemble of actors are there, and the style is very similar. But its relentless misery. A tale of recrimination, guilt, damaged human beings, alienation and deep, deep regret.

..And frogs.

What is undeniable about the film is the acting. Holy ****, the acting. Some of the best performances Ive ever seen bar none. From all of them. Can't wait to see Anderson's next film, and hope he re-uses many of his tried and tested team of actors.

8.5/10

I have to agree with this. Boogie Nights and Magnolia, both classic films and a pleasure to watch over and over again. The acting is just brilliant. :smashin:

I watched The Tuskegee Airmen on BD last night. It's not bad for an HBO production. It has a good cast and some real planes...that fly.

Just watched 'Melancholia (2011)'

Quite a strange film... Artistic in a way to begin with. Its kind of broken down into two halves, both halves however with the same significance (which you'll find out when you watch it) The film opens to a wealthy family wedding where there's prevalent friction between relatives... The 2nd half focuses more on the science fiction and thought-provoking aspect of this movie.

I found Melancholia quite cleverly constructed and fairly original to anything I have seen previously. Its the sort of movie that sticks in the mind (well, mine anyway), and one that makes you seriously think about the what-if's portion of it's defining moments...

7.5/10 :smashin:

Stone - 3/10
An absolute turd. Dragged on for a lifetime, and predictable too. I predicted 3 things very early in the proceedings,
1 - De Niro will shag Jovovich, 2 - He will ensure that Norton is released, 3 - There will be a dull unsatisfying ending.
Correct on all 3 counts sadly.

I seem to remember this film being reviewed somewhere (may have been here) and they said that the only thing worth mentioning was the size of Milla Jovovich's nipples.

Correct...

:laugh: Im pleased ive seen this cos this film is on my to buy list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom