What are you still waiting for on Blu-ray Disc?

After reading everyone elses wishes it makes mine seem very low rent.

All im wishing for is Im Alan Partridge, then my life will be complete.

I'd buy that in heartbeat, Just for the scene where Lynn put's Alan's Apple Pie in the microwave for 8mins :laugh:

I'd buy that in heartbeat, Just for the scene where Lynn put's Alan's Apple Pie in the microwave for 8mins :laugh:

ITS HOTTER THAN THE SUN!!! :laugh:

I could literally fill this entire thread with my my favourite Partridge quotes.

Ive thought of a few more series id like on blu-ray.

The Office (uk)
Big Train
Spaced
The League of Gentlemen
Peep Show
Phoenix Nights
Blackadder
Father Ted
The I.T. Crowd
Brass Eye
Bottom
Red Dwarf
The Royal Family
The Young Ones

(im a bit of a fan of uk comedy)

But its very unlikely theyre ever going to bring any of these out on blu-ray :( So ill just have to make do with the dvds

ITS HOTTER THAN THE SUN!!! :laugh:

I could literally fill this entire thread with my my favourite Partridge quotes.

Ive thought of a few more series id like on blu-ray.

The Office (uk)
Big Train
Spaced
The League of Gentlemen
Peep Show
Phoenix Nights
Blackadder
Father Ted
The I.T. Crowd
Brass Eye
Bottom
Red Dwarf
The Royal Family
The Young Ones

(im a bit of a fan of uk comedy)

But its very unlikely theyre ever going to bring any of these out on blu-ray :( So ill just have to make do with the dvds

I'm going to stick my neck out and risk being unpopular for a minute.

Why the hell would you need to see- much less re-purchase- any of those on bluray? Many of them won't look or sound much better, and even if they do, the picture and sound quality won't make them any funnier. It sounds like a colossal waste of money to me. Sorry!

I regularly 'make do' with my DVDs of the Office and Red Dwarf -over & over- and not once would I think "aw, I wish I could more of the individual hairs in Brent's beard" :)

Why the hell would you need to see- much less re-purchase- any of those on bluray? Many of them won't look or sound much better, and even if they do, the picture and sound quality won't make them any funnier. It sounds like a colossal waste of money to me. Sorry!

I regularly 'make do' with my DVDs of the Office and Red Dwarf -over & over- and not once would I think "aw, I wish I could more of the individual hairs in Brent's beard" :)

Theres 2 main reasons for this.

1) I think im slowly turning into a visual whore

2) Ive got more money than sense :D

Agree. I like a lot of that UK comedy list but I dont think theres much chance of them getting to blu anyway and even if they did, I suspect many would look ropey and hardly any better than the DVDs that weve already got of course.

I wish more people would do this - its never stopped me! ;)

Theres 2 main reasons for this.

1) I think im slowly turning into a visual whore

2) Ive got more money than sense :D

But the vast majority were shot on SD PAL video. I'm not sure, but I think the only one shot on film was Series 1 of Blackadder.

Steve W

True Lies
Bloodsport
A.W.O.L
Die Hard With A Vengeance

just off the top of my head

Im still none the wiser. do people have problems with the extended version that exists at the moment? my copy works fine on both my (non Panasonic) players.

or are you talking about the 3d version?
Ah, yes, my mistake! A retail 3D version is indeed what I'm after :)

Malena - unrated version. I believe the standard is coming out though but the Italian DVD had extended version that should be the one though

But the vast majority were shot on SD PAL video. I'm not sure, but I think the only one shot on film was Series 1 of Blackadder.

Steve W

To be fair, its probably just to have the blue case in my collection.

I might just get a spare blu-ray case, put the partridge DVD inside and shove the DVD cover in the sleeve.

Some I can think of are

An American Tail
batteries not included
Explorers
Free Willy
Homeward Bound
Howard A New Breed of Hero
Night of the Comet
Police Academy
The Birds
The Land Before Time
The Santa Clause

These are quite old though but I think they will look good on Blu Ray.

Hi,

There's loads of titles I would love on Blu-Ray, and many have already been mentioned, but here are a few of mine.

The Abyss: Theatrical Version and The Abyss: Special Edition (uncut of course, and in proper 16:9)

Runaway Train (one of the best action films ever made)

Series 7: The Contenders (a jaw-droppingly prescient drama about reality TV)

The Terminator

Kontroll (A Hungarian existential thriller, by director Nimrod Antal)

Run, Lola, Run (re-released, as the original release is deleted, from what I've heard)

Lone Wolf & Cub Series (All six films, plus the Shogun Assassin film, in one lovely box set)

Until The End Of The World: Director's Extended Version (which I have on German DVD, but a Blu-Ray of this would look nice)

Q: The Winged Serpent (a great Larry Cohen film)

Heimat, Heimat 2, Heimat 3 (German epic dramas)

Re-Animator

Betty Blue and Betty Blue: Version Integrale

Cinema Paradiso: Version Integrale (I own the UK Arrow DVD set, which has both versions of the film, plus extras, but the UK Arrow Blu-Ray only contains the inferior Theatrical Version! A major omission!)

Bullet In The Head / Hard-Boiled / The Killer / A Better Tomorrow (Decent editions of these John Woo classics please ASAP!)

The Baader-Meinhof Complex

Brotherhood Of The Wolf (with both the Theatrical and Director's Extended versions please)

Hellraiser / Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 / Hellraiser 3: Hell On Earth (a nice trilogy box set please, all uncut and uncensored, with extras)

My Neighbour Totoro / Pom Poko / Spirited Away / Princess Mononoke, and then all the other Studio Ghibli films as well

The Insider (Michael Mann's excellent drama about the Tobacco Industry)

The Last Of The Mohicans (with both the Theatrical Edition, and the Director's Edition please)

Paprika (A Blu-Ray release of the French Deluxe Edition, of this acclaimed anime movie please, including all of the extras!)

Perfect Blue (another anime classic)

Red Cliff and Red Cliff 2 (as seperate films on two discs, with proper removeable English subtitles)

RoboCop (with the choice of the Theatrical Version and the extended Unrated Edition, plus extras)

Titanic (Jim Cameron's film would look awesome on Blu-Ray, with all of the extras carried over from the 4-disc DVD boxed set)

Pooch

Last edited:
Red Cliff and Red Cliff 2 (as seperate films on two discs, with proper removeable English subtitles)
This has been available for some time. Look for the "Original International Version" that includes parts 1 and 2 (each on a separate disc), distributed by Magnolia, not the UK "special edition" distributed by EiV.

I have it and it's a really stunning transfer. Unlike the EiV version, I'm pretty sure you can switch off the subtitles in the Magnolia version (I'd test it but my copy is currently in Singapore :( )

The Day of the Locust - although I don't think it's a classic, it would be interesting to see how the lighting and colour looked on HD.

Heaven's Gate - it's been said Criterion are releasing it this year but I'll believe that when I see it.

Could have sworn I posted on this thread early hours of this morning, maybe the white lightning had coloured my language.

Big old thread so apologies if these have already been mentioned :

Little Voice (This would be great surely on Blu, nice bit of DTS MA sound. One of Caine's finest performances imo in this, "IT'S OVER" :D

Kingpin (One of like the funniest films ever)

Can't believe from Steve's first post that "As Good As It Gets" has yet to see the light of day.

Another bone of contention is how few films have had UK releases, stuff like "The Thomas Crown Affair" (McQueen/Dunaway).

Still waiting on a BR release of 'Munich (2005)'

Get a move on Universal & Dreamworks.... :boring:

Gunfight At The OK Corral
Howard The Duck (uncut)
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
Harold and Maude
Red Dawn
Summer Holiday
Elvis Presley Films (All Of Them)
Gold (Roger Moore)
North Sea Hijack (Roger Moore)
The Day Of The Triffids (Howard Keel)
This Island Earth
Gene Kelley Musicals
North West Frontier
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (Disney)
Operation Crossbow
Electric Dreams
The Great Outdoors
Xanadu
Waterworld (Extended Cut)
Evolution
Sailor Of The King (Both Endings)
The Battle Of The River Plate (Done Properly This Time)
Norman Wisdom (All, Including Later Ones And Uncut).
Help! (The Beatles)
Emperor Of The North
Ace In The Hole (The Big Carnival)
Ladyhawke
The Blue Bird (Shirley Temple)
Bubble Boy
The Fountainhead
The Big Bus
Tycoon
Earthquake
Play It Again Sam
The Long, Long Trailer
Slaughterhouse Five
The Incredible Shrinking Man
Nell (Jodie Foster)
Napoleon And Samantha (Jodie Foster, Michael Douglas)
Lady In Cement
Tony Rome
The Snow Walker
The Car (James Brolin)
The World According To Garp
Working Girl
The Philadelphia Experiment 1 & 2
Oklahoma
Somewhere In Time
These Are The Damned
Teacher's Pet
Peter Ibbetson
Beau Geste
Brigadoon (Gene Kelley)
Ivanhoe
Silver Streak
Testament
Thunderbird (Feature Films)
The Last Dragon
Slipstream
Flipper (1 & 2) Originals
Duel
Around The World In 80 Days (David Niven)
The Three Lives Of Thomasina
The Valley Of Gwangi
The Thief Of Bagdad (Sabu)
On The Beach
Two Of A Kind
The Greatest Show On Earth
The Haunting (Original & Remake)
Shout At The Devil
Girl On A Motorcycle
The Time Machine (Original & Remake)
Chisum
The Pirate Movie
Far From Home
Vertigo
The Presidio
The Boy Who Could Fly
Pet Sematary
The Inspector General
The Long Ships
Knights Of The Round Table
The Black Hole
The Swimmer
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
The Four Feather (1940's)
The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer (1938)
The War
Houseboat
When Worlds Collide
Bill And Ted (Both Films)
Willow
One Million Years B.C.
Man And His Mate
Kindergarten Cop
Khartoum
Zardoz
UHF
The War Wagon
The Young Ones
River Of No Return
Joe Versus The Volcano
Three Fugitives
Christine
From Here To Eternity
She (1965)
True Lies
Paperhouse
Night Shift
Carry On Films
Paint Your Wagon
Animal Farm
Von Ryan's Express
Land Of The Pharaohs
The Trouble With Harry
The Big Country
Dr. Phibes (1 & 2)
Cherry 2000
The Hotel New Hampshire
Barbarella
The Fly (1 & 2) Originals And Remakes
Mackenna's Gold
Cat Ballou
War Of The Worlds (1953)
American Flyers
Wargames
Love And Death
Psychomania
Anchors Aweigh
The Birds
Whistle Down The Wind
Destination Moon
Papilon
Father Goose
A Canterbury Tale (Original)
The Tingler
Yellow Submarine
Custer Of The West
Hocus Pocus
Run Silent, Run Deep
The China Syndrome
Carousel
The Court Jester
The Hindenburg
Westworld
Marx Brother Films, All

HummerUK

Dragonslayer
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Return to Oz

Where is Get Carter? Surprised it didn't get dusted off when Harry Brown was released.

Where is Get Carter? Surprised it didn't get dusted off when Harry Brown was released.

Massive oversight, must be a few dvd copies of this knocking about that are looking a bit dusty and out of shape, they really need to get their skates on mate with this one :rolleyes:

Massive oversight, must be a few dvd copies of this knocking about that are looking a bit dusty and out of shape, they really need to get their skates on mate with this one :rolleyes:

The joke is they'll probably release the remake first.

I'm still clinging to the hope that the Haunting (1963) will get a blu release before long - the Hill as well (one of my favourite laserdiscs - watched it loads back in the 90s). And Lee Marvin's Point Blank. Actually there's a few laserdiscs I'm still clinging on to because of a lack of a blu equivalent.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom