1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you looking forward to for your PS2?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by pointon, Nov 18, 2001.

1. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So a year on (about) from the release of the Playstation 2.

I recently bought one after a game was released that finally caused me to want a machine of my own - Grand Theft Auto 3. I'm hoping that this Christmas season will finally mark the arrival of the type of awesome games that become synonymous with their host machines. The games I'm most looking forward to Pro Evolution Soccer and WipEout Fusion. Beyond that, with the exception of Metal Gear Solid, I don't really see all that much to look forward to.

So what future, ground breaking games is everyone else looking forward to? And what games persuaded you to invest in the machine to begin with?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just done the same, waited for about a year, and bought a PS2. Love Grand Theft Auto 3, looking forward to the new Final Fantasy, Silent Hill 2 etc etc....thing are definately looking up.

3. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    One game above all - Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3.

Can't wait for this baby. Played the demo - finished the demo - need the game...

4. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Getaway on the PS2 looks very good.

If any game makes me think about buying a PS2 then this looks like the one.

Have any of you seen the Pictures of it

I wonder if there will be any complaints about a game where the whole idea is to escape from the old bill.

Though I will not buy a PS2 just to play one game, I have already decided I am getting a Xbox, not only will it have exclusive titles like DOA3 and Project Gotham, but it will have alot of improved PS2 titles (GTA3, Stuntman, etc..)
    Plus Sega who I still class very highly for quality titles, have chosen the Xbox for the majority of their game releases.

Anne

5. dk_terror

dk_terror

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with alanrob on this one, Its got to be THPS3! and its almost here..... can't.... wait.....any...longer.

6. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    OK I'm the only said one looking forward to Final Fantasy XI and other broadband games.

OK I don't get out much but I generally prefer playing with real opponents rather than computer.

7. dk_terror

dk_terror

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case, it has to be timsplitters2. The first game is the best post pub 4-player fight to the death ever! PLEASE can we have a character editor on the new one.

8. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks guys for adding another £29.99 to my list... how could I possibly miss the next Tony Hawks game?!?

Still, it's a bit sad that all we're really seeing is a load of updates and sequels, despite how good they might be. Please you games developing people, give us some original titles, and not just some polished tried and tested formula.

Roll on the XBox... it might come with a bit of originality.

9. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I haven't noticed any original games for any platform for sometime, let's be honest while we're all happy forking out 30-40 quid for GT 16, FIFA Soccer 200X etc. That's all the developers are going to produce.

How many of us buy the odd original game that comes out ? Who bought Parappa the Rappa, the squigly line game whatever that was or any of the other fairly original games that seem to mostly come from Japan.

And as for the XBox, well looks to me like we can expect ports of PC games mainly. Not saying this is anyworse than the PS2 sequel after sequel, but it's not looking particualrly original to me.

10. GalaxiaN

GalaxiaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Devil May Cry.
    It's the only game I'm looking forward to leading upto Christmas. Next year is a different story with FF10, Tekken4, Virtua Fighter4, Wipeout Fusion, MGS.....

And the list goes on.

Really looking forward to GameCube but that's cause I'm a big kid :D

11. Dave Bartram

Dave Bartram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Devil May Cry on order, looks stunning...

Buldurs gate looks good (D&D veteran see) lol

Just got Airblade, tis v good.....

Dave

12. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I personally am a bit sick of people going on about lack of originality in games these days. I think at this stage almost everything 'original' has been done already. Yeah maybe less sequels and more games with original storylines but I think all permutations of all the different formats (FPS, 3rdPerson,RPG,RTS,Platform,puzzle,adventure etc etc)have been done already.

Sorry guys but there aren't any new types of games to do. What we have to look forward to now are games with better and better graphics, more intelligent AI etc. I cant wait for Quake 10! It may play pretty much the same as quake one but the AI by then will be perfect and the graphics will be photorealistic. Its at this point that we will be asking "where does it go from here". Plug the game holo-cube into your brain and experience the game as if it were reality. Actually someones already thought of that. A Ralph Fiennes movie springs to mind!:)

13. Dave Bartram

Dave Bartram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    "Plug the game holo-cube into your brain and experience the game as if it were reality".

Red Dwarf (better than life) lol

Dave

14. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are still companies who produce original games- trouble is since the success of PSone not many people can see beyond PS2 and X-Box as they are deemed adult consoles.

Sadly the Dreamcast with many, many truly original games has passed on luckily Sega still produce software- but their fun titles are earmarked exclusively for GameCube (not all Sega X-Box releases are out on GC too).

Super Monkey Ball on GC is a good example of a truly original game concept, but many who dismiss Nintendo as the kids option will miss out on this. Add to this Pikmin and in the first batch of games on GameCube you have 2 totally original games that will never appear on another system.

All those complaining about a lack of originality could do worse than take a gander at what Nintendo have planned, as they have all the usual sequels etc that are present on PS2 and XBox but will host original games that tend to be copied by others but not to the high standard we expect from Nintendo.

More examples of games which were originally released by Nintendo but have been subject to copies:

Mario Party
    F Zero (Wipeout)
    Mario Cart- never bettered even by Mario Cart 64
    Mario 64 (the first ever true 3D Arcade adventure/platform game and arguably still the only true unscripted one)

All but one could be considered childrens games- yet who can doubt their sheer playability?

Its the thing I dont like about PS2 and X-Box both Sony and Microsoft seem to have forgotten that in essence Games Consoles ARE toys, and they should stop bashing Nintendo (Microsoft are the worst) and start producing some original fun games. After all many of us here grew up with Atari 2600s and Colecovisions etc- surely Im not the only only who wants a quick fix of something fun rather than an 80 hour epic with AI that matches the average human etc.

Too much time is spent making games real- rather than letting us escape for half and hour.

15. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Couldn't agree more Duncan, and I'm almost thinking of buying a GC just for Monkey Ball.

My original point was it's mainly our own fault, because we all keep buying the sequels, wonder how many people who have a PS2 didn't buy GT3 ? Not many is my guess, so what are they going to produce next, a totally new game or GT4 ?

You've only got to look at the stuff that doesn't come here from the jap market, because it's not worth the effort of translating.

16. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monkey Ball is just too addictive Slingshot!!! Ive got 7 GC games now and my social life, and home life has gone out the window, luckily the missus likes Monkey Ball and Luigis Mansion.

And yeah I agree that its our own fault that original titles are few and far between- its why I despise the X-Box and PS2 as there is not one truly original game on either- why people are thinking XBox have original titles is beyond me. After all its not like MS have exactly bothered to innovate with the hardware, although the onboard 5.1 processing is to be applauded, but apparently Factor 5 who wrote Rogue Squadron II say that Nintendo are testing DTS processing on GC using the high speed port- and indication of the power of the DSP in the GC.

All i'll say is that all the XBox devotees (which is weird as at least your Nintendo and PSX junkees have some history behind our fondness for our fave platforms- lets face it Age of Empires, Flight Simulator 2 and Motocross Madness arent exactly games that scream originality!!!) is try and look beyond the cute graphics and the idea that GC is for kids- get beyond your preconceptions and you'll find yourself a bit closer to getting those original games you crave.

There is a reason GC has so many exclusives, more so than either XBox or PS2- its because developers not only recognise the power of the console to bring new ideas to fruition, but that the Nintendo power base just likes good games- we dont care whether the content is so called adult or not.

17. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Really going for the throat today aren't you, Duncan?

If you'd read my postings properly, you'd realise that what you wrote above is exactly the point I was making. I'm not a devotee to any machine. I have a PS2, I'm going to re-buy a Dreamcast (my first died in a car crash), will also be buying an XBox when it's at a sensible price. But the Gamecube is the one I want most.

When complaining about originality, I was complaining about the lack of' on the PS2. At the time the XBox was next in my line of sight. Then I learned the prices (bloody ridiculous) and it has now moved behind the Gamecube. That's my next machine, but it's a long way off and there's no question that it will bring along some originality. Will the XBox?