What Are You Currently Listening To And On What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipers

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I must admit I stole this idea from a Bryston forum Stateside :rolleyes: but thought we could start one up over here and extend the theme by also mentioning what device you are using to play the music back on as there are so many options nowadays.

I'd be really interested to hear what everyone is listening to as lately I've re-discovered my love for all thisngs 2ch and would love to try some new music so hopefully this thread will point some music of interest my way :)

At the moment I've been working my way through Nick Caves back catalogue, at the moment I'm listening to 'The Murder Ballads' on my shiny new Bryston BCD-1 CD player :thumbsup:

Soul to Soul Volume III Just Right on an AR The Turntable with Origin Live DC motor and Audio Origami PU7 tonearm. Cartridge is an Ortofon 2M Black, phono amp is a Trichord Dino, Head amp is a MF X-Can v3 modified by my fair hand, 'phones are Sennheiser HD650's.

See here, all sorts of music (new and old) is dicussed with gusto!

Music - AVForums.com

Listening to Russian Orthodox Church Choir with a bit of Zeppelin and the Chemical Brothers thrown in for good measure, looking forward to thier new album in June.
Pioneer CD, Nak Dac-101, EL34 based amp and Rega Elas.

Last edited:
Tonight I've listened to Albums By Jennifer Warnes, Astrud Gilberto and Never the Bride. All on my old bedroom Technics stereo hifi (lofi):D:thumbsup:

Black Parade - My Chemical Romance on my NAD C352 using the Beresford dac 7510 modded as the pre amp playing lossless through my AE Neo 3's and damn it sounds good :D

I've been listening to the latest CDs I ripped to flac: Ella Fitzgerald's "Songbooks"; Elbow's "The Seldom Seen Kid"; Stereophonics' "Decade in The Sun" and the Cardigans' "Gran Turismo".

Squeezebox Classic, NAD C355 BEE (three weeks old) and MA RS1.

Listening to a CPE Bach keyboard concerto on my Denon DM37DAB paired with Tangent mini speakers. 320k MP3. Fairly modest combo, but sounds sweet to my tired ears...

Listening to Kris Drever a lot at the moment played through Mac iTunes>Airport express>Beresford Caiman+>modest JVC Hi-Fi (soon to be history :D)

Just listened to newly-cleaned vinyl of "Tango in The Night" by Fleetwood Mac - sublime.

Last edited:
Jimi Hendrix - Valleys of Neptune - excellent album in 180g vinyl, well mastered, and masterfully played.

Yamaha 100w/ch stereo amp

Diamond 9.6 speakers

Vintage Pioneer PL-35A turntable with Stanton 680EE cartridge with new hyper-elliptical stylus.

Though if I want, to this I can add an additional Onkyo 50w/ch amp with a pair of DIY box speaker with 12" woofers. I mostly only use the second setup for action movies. For which, the pair combined really rock the house.

If you like masterful guitar, then anything by Roy Buchanan, the absolute master of the squeaky electric blues guitar. That man is a legend.

Here are some videos that should give you an idea of what I mean -

roy buchanan - Google Search

Also, liking Buddy Guy - more blues guitar, and Joe Cocker.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
If you like masterful guitar, then anything by Roy Buchanan, the absolute master of the squeaky electric blues guitar. That man is a legend.

Here are some videos that should give you an idea of what I mean -

roy buchanan - Google Search

Steve/bluewizard

Yes he is. I was lucky enough to see him live two nights in a row back in the day when he was still with us.
'Your not Alone' on vinyl is my Roy Buchanan favourite but 'Best of' is a great way to start with an awesome rendition of 'Hey Joe' worth the entry price on its own.

I'm listening to a bit of jazz right now. The Zoe Rahman Trio Live. Recorded at the Pizza Express Jazz Club in Soho London 2007.
I think I got it from a recommendation from a UK hifi mag a few months ago.
Its very good. Not to die for...but very good.
Listening 2 channel of course from the Arcam 37 (BCD1 still in box) through the Primare pre30 into the Arcam 777 and out of my big beasts of speakers the Vaf I93 MK2's. IMHO the best speaker made in Australia right now.

Nice thread vipers.:thumbsup:

Last night;
The Seldom Seen Kid - live from Abbey Road: Elbow & the BBC Concert Orchestra
The Fat of the Land - The Prodigy

Both played from FLAC (Ripped via EAC) using Foobar2000 configured for bit-perfect output(ASIO4ALL) on a Dell Inspiron 9300 connected to Tag AV32R via coaxial S/PDIF. Feeding 4 channels of a NAD T975 to biamp a pair of Kef XQ30's :)

Soul to Soul Volume III Just Right on an AR The Turntable with Origin Live DC motor and Audio Origami PU7 tonearm. Cartridge is an Ortofon 2M Black, phono amp is a Trichord Dino, Head amp is a MF X-Can v3 modified by my fair hand, 'phones are Sennheiser HD650's.

Some really excellent music being played so fay guys, I can see I'm going to up my limit of 4 cd's a month to try afew of these out :)

Cable Monkey, I'm about 2 weeks away from recieving my Michell Orbe with Technoarm, Ortofon Rondo Red cartridge with the Trichord Dino phono stage, so I may bend you're ear on how to set up the Dino if you don't mind, I fear its all going to be a bit :confused:

Jimi Hendrix - Valleys of Neptune - excellent album in 180g vinyl, well mastered, and masterfully played.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi Steve, this is definately going to be ordered as I've never been a Hendrix fan but just lately I've found myself really beginning to appreciate what he does and didn't know were to start with his back catalogue, and as my turntable will be arriving shortly then this will make an excellent start :thumbsup:

Keep the posts comming guys :smashin:

Just listened to newly-cleaned vinyl of "Tango in The Night" by Fleetwood Mac - sublime.

This is another one I'll go for, Like Hendrix, I never got Fleetwood Mac but I bought Rumours a few months back, just for the Chain, but I really really like its so I'll start getting some more on vinyl I think.

Listened to some Tom Mcrae last night (Just Like Blood) on CD in readiness for his new release that I've just ordered :)

Listened to some Tom Mcrae last night (Just Like Blood) on CD in readiness for his new release that I've just ordered :)

What a terrific album that is. "You Only Disappear" and "Mermaid Blues" are absolute masterpieces. Tom McRae is criminally overlooked.

Leonard Cohen Sisters of Mercy Marantz Pm8003 Dacmagic Modded Dali Ikon3 :) its sounding ok apart from reading posts that tell me i can do better with a few more bob.

What a terrific album that is. "You Only Disappear" and "Mermaid Blues" are absolute masterpieces. Tom McRae is criminally overlooked.

Couldn't agree with you more, Seen him live afew times, so talented, it always amazes me that certain 'average' singers do really well and no one has even heard of Tom Mcrae, maybe this thread will help :)

Really hoping his new album is the standard of Just Like Blood, apparently the reviews say it is.

Gomez-Bring it on. Listening on my gaming headset (creative fatal1ty) through my 7 year old pc + soundcard (creative audigy 2 i think) cos its like 20 times better stereo quality than my current av setup i have to use for music (see sig).... :eek: :smashin:

Last night, Buckingham Nicks - Buckingham Nicks Vinyl then Claire Martin Its too dam hot 180gram vinyl played on Linn LP12/Ittok/Ortofon 2M Blue. Then Joshua Radins new album then the old one on CD Marantz SA7001 through Audiolab 8000A and 8000P and B&W 685 speakers. Completely enjoyed it.

Steve

Cable Monkey, I'm about 2 weeks away from recieving my Michell Orbe with Technoarm, Ortofon Rondo Red cartridge with the Trichord Dino phono stage, so I may bend you're ear on how to set up the Dino if you don't mind, I fear its all going to be a bit :confused:

No problem mate. It is actually pretty simple but if you need a hand just drop me a PM.

Tonight it is Blind Faith and Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington on vinyl. :)

hi listening to joy division-unknown pleasures on my linn axis,onix oa31s & pmc tb2's!loving every second of it,ian curtis is a legend!next up is ltj bukem-progression sessions for some smooth,rolling drum & bass!!!!heaven

Couldn't agree with you more, Seen him live afew times, so talented, it always amazes me that certain 'average' singers do really well and no one has even heard of Tom Mcrae, maybe this thread will help :)

Really hoping his new album is the standard of Just Like Blood, apparently the reviews say it is.

Tom's a one-off. Just Like Blood is stunning, with Karaoke soul being the (marginal) stand-out for me. If the new one is as good as this, it'll be a miracle - but I'm ready to be persuaded.

Oh, currently listening to 'The Edgar Broughton Band' (again, eponymous!), with Evening Over Rooftops perhaps being my favourite, on Rega Planar 3/RB300/A&RP77/Audiolab 8000c/Pair of NAD902s/Kef Q55.2s (all of which needs brightening up somewhat, so am looking for a cartridge change if anyone has any suggestions.... As you'll see, I'm strictly on a budget though!).

Listening to Rated R at the moment using

Roksan caspian
Monitor Audio 6's

Need some new mucic too so music-av forums here i come :thumbsup:

Annoying the neighbours with. :D Jeff Buckley...Grace.On CD.

Sounds luvverly......:thumbsup:

Last edited:
rewind by paolo nutini (these streets album) lossless thru apple tv, marantz PM6003, wharfedale diamond 9.1s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom