What Are You Currently Listening To And On What? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this an ad for headphones perhaps are they all Senns?

Last edited by a moderator:
So today's listening has some low points and a brilliant new find for me.
Will start with the low point and get it out of the way.

Transatlantic- The Absolute Universe

Latest release from this band and from what I can see getting good reviews.

For me it was dull from start to finish. Nothing new, very formulaic, typical elevator music, sorry but a big thumbs down!
Out of interest did you listen to The Breath of Life or Forevermore? At first listen A Breath of Life is better.

I do enjoy a bit of Beardfish.

1613419253567.png
1613419263810.png
1613419275892.png
1613419287878.png

1613419318367.png
1613419327461.png
1613419335654.png
1613419342143.png

1613419361355.png
1613419369193.png
1613419377952.png
1613419384584.png

Out of interest did you listen to The Breath of Life or Forevermore? At first listen A Breath of Life is better.

I do enjoy a bit of Beardfish.
It was "Forevermore " I decided to listen to first. Dont get me wrong it wasn't bad just rather uninspired. Might get around to the shorter version a some point but not sure if it's an hour I wont get back.

Bought the Kinks album on SACD last week. It's a brilliant album and perhaps, along with Musswell Hillbillies perhaps their most unrated.

I did not get. Chance to play it as something came up ,tomorrow morning now to listen to it , Alison Moyet is one of my favourite singers that was a good listen too

D40D4FC0-DC91-45AF-9F49-A07344DFCBCB.jpeg

A wonderful 192/24 stream of this R&B classic.
Qobuz > Linn

Re-Spin (Apparently, I Made the Wife a Fan):

R-148960-1397444048-9757.jpeg.jpg
vinyl+back+eazy-duz-it.jpg
EAZY-E-Eazy-Duz-It-2-1.jpg
Eazy-E-Eazy-Duz-It1.png

After last week’s heaviness I thought I’d tone it down to start this week.

First up was a band with one of the best names - Psychedelic P*rn Crumpets with a new album SHYGA! The sunlight mound. As the band title suggests, these Australians play 70’s inspired psychedelic rock, lots of distortion and fuzz. TBH I was a bit disappointed, felt a bit flat and the production was not very good to my ears which did not help. YMMV though.

Next was some traditional Prog Rock with Gandalf’s Fist and their “new” album - The (re)Master and the Monkey. 10 years on from its original release this album has not just been remastered, most of it has been re-recorded and a narrative added between the tracks. This really does freshen it up nicely.

Following that was a really interesting album I fell upon looking through the “other people like lists” in Spotify. Sisare - Leaving the Land (2018) was a pleasant surprise, definitely a Scandinavian take on a more folk oriented progressive rock sound with the lead singer sounding very similar to Michel Akerfeld (Opeth) clean style. One review called it “Melancholic, Psychedelic Rock” which I’d go along with. Really enjoyed this.

And then there were taster tracks for upcoming albums - releasing on 26th Feb is Empyrium - Uber Den Sternen followed in early April by Kauan - Ice Fleet. Empyrium are an interesting mix of doom metal/rock, folk rock and the vocals are Gregorian Chant (ish), very interesting mix that just works. Kauan are one of my favourite bands and their last two albums have been played a lot by me. Atmospheric, melodramatic, scenic doom, this one based on letters and articles found on and relating to a fleet of frozen ships found in the 1930’s In Northern Russia.

Four Classics today -

Deep Purple - In Rock (1970). Ian Gillan on vocals, John Lord on keys, Ritchie Blackmore on Guitar, Roger Glover on Bass and Ian Paice on Drums.
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (1970). Ozzy on Vocals, Tommi Iommi on Guitar (and Flute), Geezer Buteler on Bass and Bill Ward on Drums (and bongos)
Megadeth - Peace Sells.......but who's buying? (1986). Was being kicked out of Metallica the best thing that happened to Dave Mustaine, that way we got two mega bands (pun intended).
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son (1988). Very much underated (concept) album IMO.

And to finish things off the news that the new Gojira Album "Fortitude" will drop on 30th April 2021, first single from it is out today - Born for One Thing. Classic Gojira, heavy, chuggy with many tempo changes and the obligatory Guitar Slides, I like.

Last edited:

Zeke the Freak - Isaac Hayes

Just As I Am - Bill Withers. On my Meze 99 Classic’s that arrived today.

great album

Attachments

• 2D78067B-4E6C-4450-87A0-2EF76BC9EBE5.jpeg
    2D78067B-4E6C-4450-87A0-2EF76BC9EBE5.jpeg
    578.4 KB · Views: 16
Leonard Cohen I'm Your Man CD. Good recording. From this album Tom Jones has made Tower Of Song his own with a wonderful cover that is full of emotion.

im-your-man-5092c4f9f06bd.jpg

His best album imho. I still think Jennifer Warnes has been the best interpreter of his songs though.
I've only got him singing this live on a very good blu ray video of his 'Sound Stage' concert.

I Robot from CD (Flac through MusicBee and Fulla2) - such a great funky electronic sound. And production in itself is a masterclass :D

The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot.jpg

And to finish things off the news that the new Gojira Album "Fortitude" will drop on 30th April 2021, first single from it is out today - Born for One Thing. Classic Gojira, heavy, chuggy with many tempo changes and the obligatory Guitar Slides, I like.
I didn't even know - great track - Mario killing it as usual :)

Just As I Am - Bill Withers. On my Meze 99 Classic’s that arrived today.
Soo.. how do you find your Mezes? I've seen your other thread about changing the amp, was it? Did the new headphones improved your listening situation?

Cheers
f.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom