What Are You Currently Listening To And On What? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
D918360A-B4C0-485A-8F0E-F0544B17FAA3.png

I very much enjoy trying your recommendations Julian, not familiar with Yello so I will start with Toy, A few tracks in and I’m a little on the fence, the arrangements are good but the spoken vocals are spoiling it for me a little. It’s enjoyable for the most part though so I will certainly listen throughout. A cracking 24 bit stream on Qobuz and the deep bass is sublime. Just started track 6..wow.

Ian Lynn ~ Forgotten Summer (1980). An all instrumental treasure that's worth its weight in gold. Mr Lynn plays all manner of keyboards, including acoustic piano, organ, Fender Rhodes electric piano, Sequential Circuit Prophet 5, Mini-Moog, Hohner clavinet and the ancient Crewmar Brassman, along with the Rose Morris Westwood bass, the sound of which here is superbly delineated. Fine support is provided by Bob Jenkins on drums and Martin Ditcham on percussion. Had Rick Wakeman written and performed this, he would have been justifiably proud ~ it's better even than Six Wives in my book. If he's ever heard it, I'll bet he wish he had.
---------------
Home system

View attachment 1343381
I very much enjoy trying your recommendations Julian, not familiar with Yello so I will start with Toy, A few tracks in and I’m a little on the fence, the arrangements are good but the spoken vocals are spoiling it for me a little. It’s enjoyable for the most part though so I will certainly listen throughout. A cracking 24 bit stream on Qobuz and the deep bass is sublime. Just started track 6..wow.
Should you decide to buy Toy, explore further and find you like Touch as well, be sure to seek out and get the Expanded special edition. It's not cheap but, featuring as it does six bonus remixes of earlier great tracks, is an absolute must.

71HWqbh0BLL._SL1425_.jpg
fle3_530x.jpg
20170601_a3ec76.jpg
Rumourslabel.jpg

R-774248-1216978210.jpeg.jpg
257dea5394711866b301c5c3fc7b7e30.jpg
il_570xN.1890079444_qbu9.jpg
dUFEYlrOewS6vIUVg9tj6IIhQ05E2G-yASlIHATefzbFiH2tBKmsVM7ZJyov_rqwJuJ63ihI0SOvid7sDq6Wu3A6J6qrzc2KDhgve3iwSlPMKAX-spI5zD5Dew6oP881KdAV06LGUJ8owRuHMFYkwuo_opE5vuQt
32814e_6.jpg

FleetwoodTusklabel.jpg
1204335-fleetwood-mac-original-uk-pressing-2lp-vinyl-tusk.jpg

Martin Simpson ~ Cool & Unusual (1997). Perfect for a Sunday morning.
---------------
Home system

Talvin Singh ~ OK (1998). Interesting and powerful electronica infused with Indian influences and a colourful array of instrumentation, not least lots of tablas. Recorded mostly in India, but also London and New York. I don't recall where I first heard it, though it may have been at that Indian restaurant in Clifton, following which, upon arriving home, I had to run for the bathroom (and only just made it).
---------------
Home system

Midival Punditz/Midival Punditz (2002). In similar vein to Talvin Singh, except MP is two guys rather than one (with various guest musicians) and based in New Delhi, where this was recorded (though it was mastered by Brian Gardner at Bernie Grundman's in LA). On a subsequent album (which I don't have), they do a most intriguing cover of, of all things, Led Zeppelin's Four Sticks. You have to hear it to believe it. A few tracks later on in the album are a bit thumpy, but it's definitely interesting stuff that can add worthwhile colour and variety to a diversified music collection.
---------------
Home system

Last edited:
Something light and easy going for a Sunday afternoon.

Protest the Hero - Palimpsest

The latest release from this Canadian prob metal band.

AB648034-D30C-4CB9-AAEB-0C120AD4ADA2.png
Qobuz > Linn
I have to be in the mood for The Smiths, as such they don’t get played that often but on those odd occasions when they do, I usually find myself wondering why I don’t play his stuff more frequently.

Last edited:
777BBAED-F281-4CAE-9784-6FE78F766E77.png

Qobuz > Linn
On to Mark to finish off the weekend.

brianwilson-presentssmile.jpg

In 1966 Brian Wilson was working on Smile, the follow up album to Pet Sounds and stayed back in California as the group toured Europe riding on the success of Good Vibrations. Bruce Johnson was brought in to replace Wilson on that tour.

Wilson was by now suffering from severe depression and paranoia after several bad 'trips' and would often spend days in his bed. Smile was pushed into the background as Wilson retreated from public view.

Good Vibrations, a landmark in pop culture, gave a glimpse into the album as did the eventual release of Heroes and Villains. Tracks were released over several years but only as fillers on ablums that the group were contractually due to release.

To say that Smile was years ahead of it's time was more than true. Had it been released in 1966 it was so different, odd even, that critics would more than likely have hammered it. It was more akin to the Prog Rock releases of the 1970s than the romantic vibes of Pet Sounds.

Sit and listen to the album as a whole, the chord and tempo changes abound in almost every track with multiple layers of both instruments and vocals. A fascinating listen.

(Mostly) The Prague Philharmonic Orchestra ~ The Longest Day (2004). An excellent and very reasonably priced 4 CD set of (almost) all the great War Movie themes. My only (minor) gripe is that the theme from Kelly's Heroes should have been included instead of that from Das Boot (written by Klaus Doldinger of Passport fame), which is all synthesizers and doesn't fit in with the rest of the album at all. Produced by the late John Timperley.

Though I've been able to undertake A/B comparisons between the originals and the versions here on only a couple, in the cases of The Great Escape and The Guns Of Navarone, the latter are definitely better.

The 6 CD sets entitled 100 Best Movie Themes (Vol. 1) and 100 Best Western Themes (TV and Movies) are also very good.
---------------
Home system

Last edited:
Loggins & Messina ~ So Fine (1975). A brilliant album of covers of great American hits of the 50's and 60's, including those from folk such as Hank Williams, Clyde McPhatter, Bobby Darin, Bill Doggett, Don Gibson and The Everly Brothers. Still love it. A picture of a very young Bob Ludwig, later to become a leading mastering engineer, shows him to have been a technician.
---------------
Home system

An other new arrival today on 180g vinyl

The 2014 remix of the 2001 album "Remedy lane " by Pain of Salvation

20200803_191630.jpg

First listen through, so not sure how it compares with the original as yet.
First impressions maybe slightly cleaner and less coarse, whether that a good thing or not.....

Yoku Tamura ~ Sweet Amami (1980). Piano jazz trio recorded live somewhere in Japan. As it was issued originally by the Trio (Kenwood) Corporation on what appears to have been their own label, I held out scant hope of it ever being reissued on CD. But, as my original vinyl copy, which I'd bought pre-owned in the early 80's from one of Bristol's many now long gone hole-in-the-wall record shops was well past its listenable best, I kept checking on the InterNet every so often until, one day, finally, in the summer of 2008, Hey presto! there it was, so I snapped up a copy without a moment's hesitation. Just as well I did, because it must have been a very limited run that quickly sold out, whereafter pre-owned copies became very expensive (as much as £200) and now it simply isn't available anywhere. It's listed on various sites but not to actually buy or even download. So I was very glad to have got a copy. A very nice album.
---------------
Home system (Bryston, PMC, Wadia, Lyngdorf)

Dennis Murphy ~ Hit Me Hard (1998). First solo album by Monterey-based el. bassist who, amongst many others, has appeared on a few Acoustic Alchemy albums. Good funky stuff.
---------------
Home system

Budgie first album original pressing streamed at 24/192. It's much better sound than their remastered cds and the cds sound excellent.
I'm banging it out very loud. Budgie are one of the heaviest bands of all time. I don't mean crashing chords. I mean heavy heavy bass lines damd drums.
Give an analogue souce any day. Yes I know it's been delivered over a hires digital stream but it's way way better than a hires stream with a digital source. And yes you can tell the difference almost immediately.
Now its budgie again with Napoleon from Bandolier. Original pressing again at 24/192. What a track this is
Heavy rockers need to check out a bit of Budgie. Early stuff only until Bandolier and then Power supply. Forget the rest.

Budgie first album original pressing streamed at 24/192. It's much better sound than their remastered cds and the cds sound excellent.
I'm banging it out very loud. Budgie are one of the heaviest bands of all time. I don't mean crashing chords. I mean heavy heavy bass lines damd drums.
Give an analogue souce any day. Yes I know it's been delivered over a hires digital stream but it's way way better than a hires stream with a digital source. And yes you can tell the difference almost immediately.
Now its budgie again with Napoleon from Bandolier. Original pressing again at 24/192. What a track this is
Heavy rockers need to check out a bit of Budgie. Early stuff only until Bandolier and then Power supply. Forget the rest.
I remember hearing Budgie's first two albums (on vinyl) back in the 70's and thought they both sounded overwhelmingly thick and dull in the upper registers (ditto TYA and BOA). Even NTYBOAF, digitally remastered, is hardly a paragon of freshness and sparkle, is it?

Don't get me going about bass...

Steve Masakowski ~ What It Was (1994). New Orleans-based 7 string electric guitarist (and that 7th string is noticeable, to subtle but good effect). I don't get on with tracks 5 & 7, but it's a fairly long album so they can be jettisoned without severely shortening it. The treble is also noticeably rolled off but overall it's a darned good (all instrumental) album. Jazz? Well, sort of, but more a range of styles, including some elements of blues. A few names that I recognise are here, but not major league players. None of his other albums is as good as this one.
---------------
Home system

Well tonight i have Pink Floyd the Wall on as it was 40 years a go today i first went to see Floyd play.
And this was my first trip to London.
How time moves so fast :eek:

Naim & neat motive sx2

Could be a good music week.

New Deep Purple album Whoosh out on Friday. Current line up has Ian Gillan on vocals backed up by Roger Glover On bass, Ian Paice on drums (one of the best drummer I have seen, playing with Gary Moore!), Steve Morse on guitar and Don Airey on keyboards.

And a teaser dropped on social media from Gojira about something tomorrow. Rumours are that is a new album, or announcement of, or first single from. They were in the studio last Autumn and it is four years since Magma so about time for new tracks. Here’s hoping 🤞.

Well tonight i have Pink Floyd the Wall on as it was 40 years a go today i first went to see Floyd play.
And this was my first trip to London.
How time moves so fast :eek:

Naim & neat motive sx2

We may well have been at the same concert
PinkFloyd.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back