What Are You Currently Listening To And On What? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cream Classics - recorded live at a Cream event

I have this album on CD, excellent!
This is my favorite Mac album by far, and I'm a fan...I loved it so much that I owned it on every format -- cassette, CD and LP. I still own the CD and LP and want to hunt down a copy of the anniversary 180 gram deluxe edition LP...

Every now and then he comes up with a good one. ;)

Hey...one person's taste/enjoyment is another one's kryptonite, right?

Aren't we all entitled to our opinions and preferences?

Still no James Taylor though.
I think the Mac is as good as JT, as much as I love him too...

As it stands, on vinyl, the JT I have includes:

Sweet Baby James
That's Why I'm Here
Greatest Hits

I used to have, on cassette:

Never Die Young
New Moon Shine
That's Why I'm Here

On CD, I have:

Greatest Hits Volume 2

I need to get my arse in motion and get three of my favorite albums by him -- That's Why I'm Here, Never Die Young and New Moon Shine -- on CD.

Last edited:
Bit of Mr Dylan tonight on the headphones Blood on the Tracks. For me his best, most accomplished album. MoFi SACD.

1585185739649.png
1585185758407.png
1585185777058.png

1585202864850.png

Randy Waldman Trio ~ Timing Is Everything (2003). RW (piano), Brian Bromberg (ac. bass) and Vinnie Coliauta (drums), the same line up as per Brian Bromberg's Wood II which, it must be said, isn't as good as Wood, on which his brother David played drums (mostly cymbals actually). For this album, BB's bass is, understandably, somewhat less prominent (on Wood, it's almost too prominent) but, if you like jazz piano trios, this is a good album all round.

Randy Waldman may not to most people be a household name but, if you're one to read the credits on album liner notes, it's quite surprising how often his name crops up. He's very much in demand.
---------------
Home system

Michael Garson ~ Serendipity (1986). Perhaps best known (outside jazz circles) for his long professional association with David Bowie (he played that amazing piano solo on Aladdin Sane, as well as touring extensively with Bowie for many years), Serendipity is closer to his jazz roots, recorded (in analogue) at the Santa Ana and Oxnard Civic Auditoria by Keith O. Johnson (famed in his own right for having designed and patented many innovative products in both the professional and consumer audio fields, not least for the highly regarded range of Spectral Audio products).

Apart from, on a couple of tracks. a few touches of el. bass c/o Stanley Clarke and el. guitar c/o Peter Sprague (who appears on various albums on the American Gramaphone label, a couple with Checkfield), this is an all acoustic set issued originally on 180g vinyl featuring, amongst others, Jim Walker (flute) and Jim Lacefield (ac. bass), both to be found on Free Flight's excellent Beyond The Clouds (1984).

At the 1992 Stereophile show in LA, we attended a workshop c/o Mike Garson and his piano playing was truly something to hear and behold. The power and fullness of sound he was able to wring from the instrument, and with such ease, was truly arresting. I wish to this day I'd gone and had a chat with him afterwards. Oh well.
---------------
Home system

Nina Simone and Piano.

flac > Samsung A7, CCA, Sennheiser RS 180

Despite some that will say its not Hifi ...
Today I listened to a couple of hours of various 70's songs from CD recordings on pure chrome cassettes with Dolby S that I recorded a while back.
A nice tuneful and warm sound being fed to my speakers via the retro systems amp outs into my NAD amp.
It still amazes me how the NAD doesn't appear to colour the sound, and feeds what its given to the speakers so transparently. … Now all it needs is more power for those moments when you really want to blast it out🤪

Bob Thompson ~ The Magic In Your Heart (1993). A bit of a cringeworthy title but actually, apart from two naff vocal tracks, this is really good hotted up (piano-led) cocktail jazz, recorded in Atlanta, GA, very well too, the el. bass and drums are particularly well captured. The feistier tracks are good for demo's and always catch visitors' ears. Got my copy for just $4.99, pre-owned but in mint condition, at Morning Glory Records on State Street in Santa Barbara, CA.
---------------
Home system

Listening on headphones now Jethro Tull Benefit. Steven Wilson 2013 remix CD. Cleaning out some cupboards earlier this evening came across my Tull vinyl collection. Don't think they've seen the light of day for 15 years or so. Think I should have taken better care of them, I'd be embarrassed to take them to my local second hand record store, covers are in a sorry state.
91he0zbfw5l-_sl1425_.jpg

Listening on headphones now Jethro Tull Benefit. Steven Wilson 2013 remix CD. Cleaning out some cupboards earlier this evening came across my Tull vinyl collection. Don't think they've seen the light of day for 15 years or so. Think I should have taken better care of them, I'd be embarrassed to take them to my local second hand record store, covers are in a sorry state.
View attachment 1274298
I do think the Stephen Wilson mixes are very well done and handled with care. Have just ordered the 180g vinyl of Heavy Horses after a couple of listens on Spotify. Unfortunately due to circumstances it's now taking a month to deliver, just couldn't convince Amazon that it's an essential item along with medication and food!😀

I do think the Stephen Wilson mixes are very well done and handled with care. Have just ordered the 180g vinyl of Heavy Horses after a couple of listens on Spotify. Unfortunately due to circumstances it's now taking a month to deliver, just couldn't convince Amazon that it's an essential item along with medication and food!😀
Songs from the Wood is a brilliant album if you don't already have it. I've got Heavy Horses as well, in fact got all the Wilson remixes.

Some Italian prog this morning in the form of "Inferno" by Metamorfosi.
An interesting listen, I guess a mix of ELP and Focus. Not the greatest production in the world but enjoying never the less!

......and moving on now to something brand new, only released on 20th March.

The Bardic Depths - "The Bardic Depths"

New prog collaboration, between Dave Bandana and Bradley Birzer featuring a few well know guests including Peter Jones.

Not sure so far, may require a few listens to get it.

Yesterday whilst working from home -

the brilliant - Nova Collective - The Further Side. I think this will be an absolute classic in years to come.

the new - Void of Sleep - Metaphora. Pretty good stoner based album but with prog and psychedelic influences. Similar to Queens of the Stone Age and mellower Mastodon.

Yesterday whilst working from home -

the brilliant - Nova Collective - The Further Side. I think this will be an absolute classic in years to come.

the new - Void of Sleep - Metaphora. Pretty good stoner based album but with prog and psychedelic influences. Similar to Queens of the Stone Age and mellower Mastodon.
Do agreed on the Nova Collective great album, not heard Void ox Sleep as yet but will get around to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom