What Are You Currently Listening To And On What? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of it?
I'll give it another listen tonight on the Denon player and headphones but the vocals did seem a little recessed. Terrific sound stage and instrumental placement. I didn't give the amp time to warm up though. Joplin is a very raw singer and not to everyone's tastes, I didn't particularly like her in my youth but now it's an album that I can now happily sit down as listen to.

I’ll see your Clive Dunn and raise you a Buster Bloodvessel..with this from Bad Manners...
......got to confess......kinda liked Bad Manners! Quirky I know but a pretty fine Ska band all the same.

A bit of a Beth Hart session on Spotify, before seeing her live in Glasgow tomorrow night.

SWMBO’s selection this evening some of her teenage years vinyl, starting with The Alarm, Eye of the Hurricane. Not sure where we will go next,,,..I’m trying to avoid the Boney M conversation 🙄

couple of things strike me, this recording is very “bright” and I don’t recall noticing how flimsy the vinyl is before! You could literally bend it over with two fingers I reckon!

......got to confess......kinda liked Bad Manners! Quirky I know but a pretty fine Ska band all the same.
i just remember as a kid just not really being able to pay attention to anything other than Buster, transfixed by his behaviour rather than the music!

Tonight settling down to a bit of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.

Symphony No 5 -
Bavarian Symphony orchestra under Mariss Jansons

Still in exile in the bedroom and listening on my MUSO due to Love Island but due to be set to be free next weekend!😀

FREE THE GLASGOW ONE!!!!!😀😀

Well SWMBO’S next dilemma was Wham versus Wet Wet Wet but I survived....she settled on U2 Rattle & Hum. phew!

“Now kings will rule and the poor will toil
And tear their hands as they tear the soil
But a day will come in this dawning age
When an honest man sees an honest wage”

Reminds me also of being in the Student Union at Uni where Desire was probably the most popular choice on the juke box. a song I think that never seems to age, as good as the day it was written....let’s crank it up.....thankfully I’m in a detached house!

Really enjoying the Radio Caroline stations, such a variation of music, the complete opposite to the likes of Radio 2, tracks and bands I have heard very little by in the past and its just a breath of fresh air to me, not only old bands but lots of new stuff that you just don't hear on other radio stations.

Very little advertIsing, some good musicians interviewed with interesting stories.

A lot of folk seem to think and say that there's no good music about theseday's, I couldn't disagree more, there's lots and like anything that's really worth having you have to get out there and make the effort to find it.

Listening on. Media Centre Pc, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Denon avr x3500h, 2 x Tibo PA150, Wharfedale Diamond 230s

Really enjoying the Radio Caroline stations, such a variation of music, the complete opposite to the likes of Radio 2, tracks and bands I have heard very little by in the past and its just a breath of fresh air to me, not only old bands but lots of new stuff that you just don't hear on other radio stations.

Very little advertIsing, some good musicians interviewed with interesting stories.

A lot of folk seem to think and say that there's no good music about theseday's, I couldn't disagree more, there's lots and like anything that's really worth having you have to get out there and make the effort to find it.

Listening on. Media Centre Pc, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Denon avr x3500h, 2 x Tibo PA150, Wharfedale Diamond 230s

strange was just thinking of radio Caroline and remembering tuning in my uncles old radiogram back in the 70s to lots of foreign stations...it was a monster of a thing with massive three way (at least) speakers that seemed to tower over me......pretty sure it was a Rigonda Syphmony as I’ve just been googling.....this restored example is exactly as I remember it...maybe no playing that music though eh?…

Been a bit of a mixed bag today whilst WFH -

Started of with the new Their Dogs were Astronauts album - Dreamcatcher. Pretty much middle of the road Djent, think slightly heavier Plini but not as heavy as Modern Day Babylon. Their previous stuff has been good but I found this a bit disjointed as an album, maybe OK on Shuffle but does not flow well together.

Next up something new to me - Poppy - I Disagree. Apparently she is some sort of Youtube Blog Star doing avante garde stuff. Anyway, this is her first fairly heavy, introspective style album. Bit of a mish mash of styles that seem to work OK and pulled together with good backing and some pretty heavy metalcore style drops. Influences seem to be Marylin Manson, a bit of Babymetal, sometimes a bit Bjork-ish and also a bit of electronic metal Hacktivist style. Reminds me a bit of a commercial version of Destiny Potato.

Time to slow it down with a bit of atmospheric instrumental blackness with Mitochondrial Sun's self titled album. We now enter cinematic, soutrack like heaviness but overlaid with lots of classical influences and cello playing, imagine the sound track to something like Bladerunner and you are getting there. Enjoyed this but I think this will need a few more listens. I'll probably pidgeon hole with with Kauan and the second ROSK acoustic album.

Turned it on its head next with Thank You Scientist and Terraformer. Lots of energy here with an interesting mix of metal and modern jazz including the use of a horn section throughout. More jazz than bands like Twelve Foot Ninja which I am quite liking, lots of variety and some great musicianship.

And finally, if I have time I may delve into Djanks&Djrewves, as recommended by my son, apparently heavy instrumental Djent from 2016 (I am thinking Vitalism, Etrange, Haunted Shores, Modern Day Babylon etc.).
EDIT - had a quick listen, ok but the production is pretty poor, sounds like it is done in their bedroom.

Last edited:
Steely Dan ~ Aja (1977). I remember when this first came out and all the stores such as W. H. Smith, HMV etc. had numerous sleeves and posters on display to publicise it. Now, 43 years on and digitally remastered, it's still magnificent on all fronts ~ the songs, musicianship, production, the whole package.
---------------
Office system

Next up something new to me - Poppy - I Disagree. Apparently she is some sort of Youtube Blog Star doing avante garde stuff. Anyway, this is here first fairly heavy, introspective style album. Bit of a mish mash of styles that seem to work OK and pulled together will good backing and some pretty heavy metalcore style drops. Influences seem to be Marylin Manson, a bit of Babymetal, sometimes a bit Bjork-ish and also a bit of electronic metal Hacktivist style. Reminds me a bit of a commercial version of Destiny Potato.

That description rather intrigued me, so I went on you tube. Quirky and cross genres for sure, sampled a few if not most of the album. I think I may well buy the CD :)

That description rather intrigued me, so I went on you tube. Quirky and cross genres for sure, sampled a few if not most of the album. I think I may well buy the CD :)

She is touring this summer in the US opening for Gojira and Deftones (head liners), sound like either a match made in heaven or a right old car crash. Deftones are going to have to be on it because Gojira always bring their A game.

1581719992859.png
1581720016558.png
1581720028929.png

1581720059627.png
1581720069759.png
1581720079252.png
1581720101836.png
1581720112550.png

1581742707757.png

oh my god I had hoped to have forgotten all about them, damn you Ugg10! 😁 Just for that you can have The Wurzels!😈

I will see your Wurzels and raise you a multi signed copy of Baron Knights LP 😂😂😂

Attachments

• 54C7DAFF-7AE8-4B63-862E-5671E0B15E4B.jpeg
    54C7DAFF-7AE8-4B63-862E-5671E0B15E4B.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 978287D6-02CD-43F5-9BC8-7A9AA9FCDBF0.jpeg
    978287D6-02CD-43F5-9BC8-7A9AA9FCDBF0.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 19
I will see your Wurzels and raise you a multi signed copy of Baron Knights LP 😂😂😂
Oh that is a real low blow and a signed copy! I don't believe any one track can counter that. So gonna hit back with a triad of nonsense!!

For starters and at no 3

"Eh-oh" - The Teletubbies

Pushing hard for the top spot and at no 2

"The Floral Dance" Take your pick between The Brighouse and Rastrick Brass band or The Terry Wogan version (If I can just add I played in Brass band for thirty years)

And and No 1 and for good reason

"Mr Blobby" - Mr Blobby , just bad bad bad in every way, not a single redeeming feature here at all!!!!😀😀😀😀

Okay yes I'm fighting hard and do realize my name may have to be erased from the scriptures for such profanity but such is life!😁

Fun retro times for me.
Listening to and recording to cassette, "Warrior Rock" by Toyah, followed by "Love is the Law" by Toyah recording to MD.

A while back I reorganised my CDs into alphabetical order so I could find stuff and I stumbled on this.
Massive brownie points if anyone recognises this band:

v8C5g49.jpg

Many moons ago I used to work with CNC wood routers, and I got to know the guy I dealt with for ordering the tooling quite well. He was the singer in this band and I took the pic for the rear cover, and printed a good few covers for the band to sell at gigs.
Rock, metal and punk type sound.

Hadn't heard this for ages !

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom