What Are You Currently Listening To And On What? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished "Elv1s 30 Number one hits" (Second to none in the post as we speak).
Condsidering how old some of the masters are, I think the CD sounded really good.

Currently playing Spandau Ballet - Gold (greatest hits).

Both SH purchases via the rainforest.

Just finished listening to.....

Sift - Ummon (2020). Only listened on my IPad but it definitely merits another listen on a proper stereo. This transports you back to psychedelic 70’s space rock, it is a true distortion fest! It is long at 1hr 12 mins but does not feel so, which is a good sign, and within the space/psych rock there is still a decent amount of variety.

Last edited:
Carly Simon Anticipation. Superb quality SACD, fantastic percussion and soundstage. Headphones.

Just finished "Elv1s 30 Number one hits" (Second to none in the post as we speak).
Condsidering how old some of the masters are, I think the CD sounded really good.

Last time we were in Las Vegas we saw a newspaper feature reporting on how an Elvis impersonator had died on the toilet (as did Elvis himself).

Norman Brown ~ After The Storm (1994). Rather more kick than any of his others that I've heard to date, hence I like it. A very fleet fingered guitarist. Got my copy one sunny Saturday afternoon wandering around Bristoi with a friend 23 years ago, our route encompassing every record/CD store we knew of, virtually all of them now long gone. This, recorded in Beverly Hills, was on sale for just £7.50 in a shop at Clifton Down, along with Chieli Minucci's equally good Jewels (also 1994). I still listen regularly to both.
---------------
Home system

Todays listening was:
UB40 the very best of 1980-2000.
The best of Sade.
Both on CD through the Nads … oh how I have managed to not say that before now, I don't know :rotfl:

One for @Alan Weir 1

New Haken single dropped today - Prosthetic.

First track from their new album due for release on 5th June titled Virus (not caching in there then!).

Wasn‘t the biggest fan of Vector but this track I like, good heavy start, a bit of electronica, some monster bass lines, good clean vocals. More on the mould of Tesseract.

On a similar not I got my Live Music fix this week watching their set from last year at the Roundhouse supporting Devin Townsend “an official bootleg?”. Instrumentals were spot on but the vocals were very average and on my system these was something odd about the mix as the drums were on the wrong side. Anyway, still enjoyed it and fingers crossed may see them at Radar in Guildford in August if tickets are still available and it is still on (big ifs)! (That festival line up is looking very tasty IMO!).
Gonna give the Haken track a listen to tonight, kind of doubtful of the festivals going ahead unfortunately 😪

Gonna give the Haken track a listen to tonight, kind of doubtful of the festivals going ahead unfortunately 😪
Okay just just had a listen, and it's a big thumbs up from both the Mrs and me.
She is even more pissed that she wont be hearing them at Download!

I've been listening a a lot of krautrock this week. Stuff like Join in, between, chicken bones, Cozmic Corridors, Embryo, Erma Schmidt, hurdy gurdy, Xhol, Sperrmull, RMO, ibliss. All cd

Check out "A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships [Explicit]" by The 1975 on Amazon Music. Amazon Music
1586032075040.png

Having all the family around at the moment is both a blessing and a curse!😥😀

But it has given us all a chance to have a listen to each others play lists.

The lists have included everything from

Steve Hackett to Cavetown
Lee Arron to The Prodigy
Sheku Kanneh-Mason to Harry Stiles
Symphonic Metal to 21 Pilots
D-sturb to Dua Lipa

Interesting times and on the bright side broadening the minds of all from the youngest to the old gits like myself! 👍😀👍

Dave Grusin ~ Homage to Duke (1993). The Duke, of course, being Duke Ellington. With top notch credentials on every front, not least a rhythm section comprising Brian Bromberg and Harvey Mason, this is an absolutely can't go wrong album. If you like jazz, that is.
---------------
Home system

Scott Hamilton & Harry Allen ~ Heavy Juice (2004). Two of the jazz world's premier tenor saxophonists playing an 8 tune set, supported by (the late) John Bunch (piano), Dennis Irwin (bass) and Chuck Riggs (drums. First class stuff, as always, recorded in NYC by Josiah Gluck (whose career took off when he joined GRP Records as Chief Engineer and Technical Director in 1982), mixed by him too, at Metropolis Studios, mastered by Seth Presant at G Studio Digital, both of them in London, and produced by SH. I never quite understand why recordings are sent hither and yon for different stages of the overall production process (there are surely ample facilities in NYC for pretty much everything) to be undertaken by different people, though I guess there must be reasons.

On now with SH's Jazz Signatures (2001), this one recorded in Wimbledon of all places, also with John Bunch, but an English rhythm section hitherto unknown to me. Mixed in London but mastered by George Horn, presumably at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley. Go figure.
---------------
Home system

Melody Gardot - Currency of Man. Easily my favourite album, but she steered away from her more jazz background for this album. It's still there, but definitely more of a move towards mass market appeal. More of a Diane Krall vibe to it.

Listening to Editors, The Weight of Your Love........really love this album, very emotive, some sumptuous arrangements....the strings on “Nothing” are georgeous, the unmistakable rickenbacker bass 👍

John Cale and Lou Reed - Songs for Drella. An acrimonious couple from the Velvet Underground come together to create a biography/love letter to their mutual friend, Andy Warhol. There’s some great creativity here and some really heartfelt moments. A really involving listen.
1586119303781.jpeg

Yesterdays lock down playlist, all on the main system.
Katie Melua Collection CD
Joan Armatrading Me Myself I CD
Tracey Chapman Telling Stories HDCD
Mumford and Sons Sigh No More CD
Art Garfunkel Breakaway SACD
Simon and Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water CD

My Sunday chilling in the garden, listening to the following on my AKG headphones

Bruce Springsteen Tunnel of Love
Sweet Smoke Just A Poke
Arcade Fire Funeral
The Doors LA Woman
Steve Winwood Arc of a Diver

Rhoda Scott ~ Encore, encore, encore... (2003). If, as do I, you like the Hammond B3, this is a must-have album. Just Rhoda (famed for her barefoot pedal work) and a drummer called Lucien Dobat. Sunrise, Sunset is a real swinging classic.

Recorded in France (where she's lived for many years). My other favourite album by a Hammond B3 player is Barbara Dennerlein's debut Straight Ahead (1989).
---------------
Home system

Been guided by Angrymetalguy's reviews today.

These are all 3.5 or 4.0/5.0 (and he does use the full range therefore getting a 4.0 is quite high praise, 4.5 are belters and he only give a 5.0 on a couple of occasions per year!).

So, these are the more digestible albums with clean vocals and are generally accessible (compared to some of the more extreme albums on this site).

Loviator - Lightness. A fairly classical melodic doom record with a fairly good hint of stoner/sludge. Quite similar to Slift (linked above) with decent melodies and hooks but with a more progressive edge (hints of Opeth/mastodon).

Forndom - Fapir. Melodic, melancholic, folk derived scandinavian music. reminded me of the Rosk album I posted a few months ago. This just rhythmically plods along and wraps you in a dark, depressed blanket. However, I really liked it and found it somewhat relaxing.

Pure Reason Revolution - Eupnea. Pretty classical prog rock/metal with a heavy Pink Floyd influence. Good use of male and female vocals, generally pretty pleasant overall. Similar to Anathema, Porcupine Tree, Sermon etc. Nothing too taxing, just a jolly good listen.

Ray Thomas, late of the Moody Blues and sadly late of this life. From Mighty Oaks CD. Headphones.

Adrian Legg ~ Guitars & Other Cathedrals (1990). One of the great acoustic guitarists of the age who's been called "impossible to categorize". He plays custom guitars that are a hybrid of electric and acoustic and won the Guitar Player’s Reader's Best Acoustic Fingerstyle Guitarist poll for 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1996. His other album that I particularly like is Wine, Women & Waltz (1993). Mastered by Peter Vince at at Abbey Road where, apparently, the parking was hopeless.
---------------
Home system

2%20Live%20Crew%20-%20As%20Nasty%20As%20The%20Wanna%20Be%20rear.jpg

2-live-crew-nasty-wanna-vinyl-record-lp2.jpg

81iWdoEfGML._SL1500_.jpg

200929751846.jpg

the-2-live-crew-as-nasty-as-they-wanna-be-ab-s.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel