What Are You Currently Listening To And On What? Part III

Julian Stevens

Chieli Minucci ~ Renaissance (1996). From his most satisfyingly creative period (the other two albums being Jewels and, under the Special EFX banner, Body Language) and still good all these years on. Recorded, as usual, by Paul Wickliffe at Horizon Studios, NJ.
---------------
Office system

deantown

Distinguished Member
The Lumineers CD - first saw/heard them on Jools Holland iirc and saw them at a Festival on tv (may have been Glastonbury, not sure). Instantly liked the Track Ho Hey. Anyhoo picked the CD up for 75p in CS and glad I did, very good easy listening music.

Ugg10

The Neptune Power Federation - Memoires of a rat queen (2019).

Some 1970’s inspired psychedelic rock that is good but does have a couple of weak areas. Interesting concept with the lead singer taking on the persona or the Rat Queen with similarly themed songs. Think TRex meet Doctor and the Medics with a bit of Led Zep thrown in. Generally pretty solid, decent amount of variety, good female lead singer but it is a little shrill at times, this gets better after a couple of listening. Not as good a Gone Cosmic (singer more like Janis Joplin, better all round) but to quote a game show “it’s good but it’s not quite right”. Worth a half hour or so of your time.

Ugg10

Bit of a splurge today whilst I waded through a load of paperwork. From the sublime to the ridiculous !!!!!

Zoungla - There will be dub (2018). Some chill out music to start off with, if you like Shpongle then you may like this. Nice ethnic/middle eastern vibe with the occasional nod to reggae/SKA. Flower Sun is especially good and appealed to my prog side nicely.

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II (1969). Playing this on my newly acquired turntable (Linn Axis/Basik Plus) and updated cartridge (AT-VM95ML), sounding very good. Absolute classic and should be on everyones playlist once in a while.

Babymetal - Metal Galaxy (2019). New out today, I can see the appeal but I am not 100% bought into it. If you have not come across them think a cross between K-Pop and Metallica, badged as Kawaii Metal. The backing band for the three ladies is top drawer but this has a bit too many differing styles to make it a cohesive whole. I am sure it will go down well and so will their tour next year but......

Album not available on youtube yet so here is a taster of "Gimme Chocolate"

Bent Knee - You Know What They Mean (2019). Second new release today and is the antithesis of the over produced and manufactured Babymetal. Raw, edgy, slightly avante garde this is really good with a really diverse set of songs from the downright punky (Bone Rage) to the delicate thin vocals (Bird Song). Well worth a listen if you like modern hard rock (Royal Blood, Green Day etc.). The vocals are very good and Courtney Swain has an interesting solo album Between Blood and Ocean.

Again full album not available but here is the single Bone Rage

This one is a little mellower.

Last edited:

Alan Weir 1

Some back to work tomorrow music.

Vivaldi- Magnificat.
There is far more to this gent than the Four Seasons. From Voice to Mandolin very rarely puts a foot wrong. And the original Ginger!:D

Alan Weir 1

The Neptune Power Federation - Memoires of a rat queen (2019).

Some 1970’s inspired psychedelic rock that is good but does have a couple of weak areas. Interesting concept with the lead singer taking on the persona or the Rat Queen with similarly themed songs. Think TRex meet Doctor and the Medics with a bit of Led Zep thrown in. Generally pretty solid, decent amount of variety, good female lead singer but it is a little shrill at times, this gets better after a couple of listening. Not as good a Gone Cosmic (singer more like Janis Joplin, better all round) but to quote a game show “it’s good but it’s not quite right”. Worth a half hour or so of your time.

Gave them a listen to as your recommendations are usually right up my street. Sorry to say this just never done anything for me. Just all felt a bit wrong and very patchy. But hey nothing ventured....

Alan Weir 1

Daily mix no 3 on Spotify.

Some times it good to sit back and not know what coming up next .
So far it's been a mix of Alan Parsons, Rush, Steve Hackett, AC/DC , Iron Maiden and the like.

Just in the process of setting up a new subwoofer so giving the system a good all round work out.:):laugh:

gibbsy

Tonight's entertainment is being provided by Peter Gabriel Shaking the Tree. CD with the headphone set up. I've just dropped the empty jewel case. Drat. Another broken hinge.

Top Bottom