What Are You Currently Listening To And On What? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sassafras ~ Expecting Company (1973). One of those (very) minor league rock bands (vocals, twin electric guitars, bass and drums) from South Wales that never made any great impression, but this, their debut album, has its moments. Interestingly, although recorded at AIR London, even with the benefits of digital remastering, it sounds very much like a typical Rockfield recording, a bit thick in the treble, soft in the bass and not particularly open in the midrange. But it's okay.
---------------
Office system

Destiny Potato - Lun (Album)

Interesting serbian (main man is David Maxim Micic) pop oriented djent metal album (if that is not an oxymoron) with quite a bit of diversity and it certainly sounds good on my office system. Think of it as a new take on Evanescence, vocal are not on a par with Ami Lee but a good attempt.

Into track (the build up) has some interesting stereo tricks, the rest has good imaging and seems to do a good job of bringing the female vocals to the front whist keeping the guitar and drums nice an tight.

House of lies is a good semi acoustic number that brings out the vocals and piano.

Still not convinced that females do a good job of death growls (Addict 5:30) (I include Marmozets in this) and there is a bit of "parental guidance" needed on Love Song.

Overall very listenable and to my ears well produced album, wish there was another one.

Michel Colombier (1979). Not, as the (absence of any) title might suggest, his debut album but definitely his finest (that I've yet managed to sample), featuring a host of LA's finest sessions men of the day such as Herbie Hancock, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Steve Gadd, Jaco Pastorius, Airto Moreira, Tom Scott (who, amongst much else, wrote the theme to the Rockford Files) and more. A personal classic of its era and genre, a mix of of jazz/rock, jazz/pop and jazz/classical (but not smooth jazz, a label with which I've become increasingly unhappy as the years roll by because, to the uninitiated/ignorant, it seems to conjure up the idea of elevator or department store music which, in most cases, it most certainly isn't).
---------------
Office system

Destiny Potato - Lun (Album)

Interesting serbian (main man is David Maxim Micic) pop oriented djent metal album (if that is not an oxymoron) with quite a bit of diversity and it certainly sounds good on my office system. Think of it as a new take on Evanescence, vocal are not on a par with Ami Lee but a good attempt.

Into track (the build up) has some interesting stereo tricks, the rest has good imaging and seems to do a good job of bringing the female vocals to the front whist keeping the guitar and drums nice an tight.

House of lies is a good semi acoustic number that brings out the vocals and piano.

Still not convinced that females do a good job of death growls (Addict 5:30) (I include Marmozets in this) and there is a bit of "parental guidance" needed on Love Song.

Overall very listenable and to my ears well produced album, wish there was another one.

Generally I think that about female death growls and this is about the only one that did sound convincing, but these I made an exception for a band I knew from the early 90's when I was tape trading back then. listen to her voice about a minute in, doom metal. Mythic - Winter solstace

Generally I think that about female death growls and this is about the only one that did sound convincing, but these I made an exception for a band I knew from the early 90's when I was tape trading back then. listen to her voice about a minute in, doom metal. Mythic - Winter solstace
also this band, same person I think lol

David Friesen ~ Inner Voices (1987). The only album of his that I've ever managed to sample and liked but it's magic. Just acoustic double bass with various synthesisers, mostly c/o Jeff Johnson, and various flutes c/o Paul Horn. Very atmospheric.
---------------
Home system

Supertramp - Even in the quietest moments. I hadn't played this album for a long time, forgot how good it is.

Johnny Cash - Unearthed, Headphone Divine, Tidal on the PC. There are some great covers in this.

Heads, Hands & Feet (1971). The would-be supergroup that never took off, despite a distinguished cast including Chas Hodges, Albert Lee and Tony Colton, recording at Advision in the hands of the already highly regarded Eddie Offord and a huge advance from the record company of £½m.

The original US release was a double album (from which all tracks are included on my CD copy that I bought many years ago now), though I only ever got to know the UK single album and that's all I ever listen to.
---------------
Office system

a bit of a long track at 29:38 and i always liked the production, stereo seperation. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Karn evil 9 (from Brain salad Sugery, Castle Cd 1996, 1973)

Brian Hughes ~ Straight To You (1996). The first of his that I bought and I've never managed to find another that's as good. A bit like Pat Metheny, but warmer, punchier and more melodic. The piano and Hammond B3 make a great combination.
---------------
Office system

this is interesting Im listening to Anthrax - among the living, ive got a few different versions of it.
Among The Living (Japan PHCR-18703), Island IMCD 186 (842 447-2 and a vinyl rip thats 192khz, 24 bit and the vinyl one by far is the best one, the others seem weak, no power, the vinyl has more umph, beef to it and a lot more detail as well.

Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny ~ Beyond The Missouri Sky (1997). Good heavens ~ this album is now 20 years old, but still lovely. Just the two of them, (the now late) Charlie on acoustic bass and Pat on guitars and synthesizers, playing a mix of originals and covers.
---------------
Home system

Cindy Bradley ~ Natural (2017). Fourth jazz/pop/funk instrumental album from this lady trumpet/flugelhorn/trombone player, this one largely a collaboration with sax/flute player David Mann, with input also from guitarists Nick Colionne and Chris Standring. I really like it.
---------------
Office system

Cindy Bradley ~ Unscripted (2011). In the wake of having received her latest album, I'm having a week of revisiting its three predecessors and they're all great. Basically, what Rick Braun should be doing but hasn't managed to since his 1994 masterpiece Nightwalk.
---------------
Office system

Kitaro (featuring Jon Anderson of Yes) - Lady of dreams (from Dream, 1992)

Jon Anderson has such a distinct voice, I immediately think of Yes when I hear him. But I have a cd of him on the Best of Jon & Vangelis and it's a bloody good album too!

I agree, I was fortunate to see yes when they were "Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe" (something to do with a rights fall out with Squire) at Wembley arena, concert started off with Anderson walking in from the back singing unaccompanied, so distinctive and memorable. Geddy Lee gets close to being as distinctive/memorable. His solo album "City of Angels" is well worth a listen.

Justo Almario ~ Heritage (1992). A nice little instrumental album from Colombian-born sax and flute player with support from assorted Latin musicians such as Ricardo Silveira (guitars), Alex Acuna (drums) and Otmaro Ruiz (synthesizers), as well as many others. Not seminal but I still play it every so often.
---------------
Home system

Yilan's new EP on on Circular Jaw. Pushes the evolution of UK garage about as far into industrial as you'd want. Deeply enjoyable. All on WAVs / computer into Genelec active monitors.

IMG_0445.JPG

Vinyl

Nutz (1974). If only this tight, inventive Liverpudlian four piece rock outfit could have maintained the terrific standard set by this debut album, they might have enjoyed more success. But they couldn't so they didn't. And perhaps they arrived on the scene about three years too late. This one remains a classic though. Recorded at Rockfield and produced by, of all people, John Anthony who, only the previous year, had produced Al Stewart's Past, Present & Future. John "Rabbit" Bundrick guests on two tracks.
---------------
Office system

This is making my speakers and system burst with excitement, very nice low end bass and mids. youtube dosesn't do it any justice

Dillinger - City Man (1974 from the self titled album, Canadian Progressive Jazz Rock)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom