What Are You Currently Listening To And On What? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tosca, track 'shoulder angel'

This is just such a good bloody album. Anyone who likes electronica and up tempo type chill out stuff with great melodies and pleasing tunes will love this album.

One of best electronic albums of 2017 so far I reckon.

Last edited:
On CD, selected solely on a random eyes closed pick from my racking, I've not played this in years and it's sounding wonderful...

howweopperate_lg.jpg

Tori Amos - Cornflake Girl

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Not usually a fan of covers, this is the exception to the rule, harrowing and perfect.

On CD, selected solely on a random eyes closed pick from my racking, I've not played this in years and it's sounding wonderful...

howweopperate_lg.jpg

I have 'bring it on' from 1998 which I still listen too. Don't know how this compares ? but I think 'bring it on' won loads of awards. Mercury music prize etc. A great hip band.

Dennis Murphy ~ Hit Me Hard (1999). Debut (and, as far as I can tell, only) album from East Bay sessions and (international) touring bass guitarist. Apart from one (in this context typically) naff vocal track, it's good stuff. Not major league, but well worth a spin every now and again.
---------------
Office system

I have 'bring it on' from 1998 which I still listen too. Don't know how this compares ? but I think 'bring it on' won loads of awards. Mercury music prize etc. A great hip band.

I've followed your lead Piper and am now having a listen to my CD of "Bring It On", which again I've not played in ages. Bloody brilliant! Great tunes, top notch musicianship, and top drawer production. Should have been much bigger IMO Gomez. Radio Paradise still bang the drum though, often playing them.

gomez.jpg

Wes Montgomery ~ A Day In The Life (1967). Including a few covers of Beatles songs and Montgomery's own classic Angel, this is perhaps the very first smooth jazz album, complete with strings.
---------------
Home system

Nutz ~ Nutz (1974). A cracking debut from this tight, highly competent and inventive Liverpool based rock quartet (plus guest John "Rabbit" Bundrick on keyboards on a couple of tracks) which (IMHO) they never managed subsequently to rival. Recorded at Rockfield Studios in Monmouthshire, engineered by resident Pat Moran and produced by John Anthony (who had also produced Al Stewart's Past, Present & Future album). Apparently they were terrific in concert though, like so many bands playing live, I might have found them a bit too loud.
---------------
Office system

Harry Nilsson ~ Nilsson Schmilsson (1971). Great songs (though I never did like Without You that much), a host of the finest sessions musicians of the day (amongst them Jim Gordon on drums no less), recorded at the now sadly extinct Trident Studios in Soho (closed in 1981) and produced by maestro Richard Perry (who, amongst many other great albums, produced Art Garfunkel's Breakaway in 1975). Hardly surprising it's an enduring classic.
---------------
Office system

More Tosca - going going going. (2017)

bonnie-raitt-dig-in-deep.jpeg

A great listen if you like blues/rock. Never tire of her voice. CD.

Chet Atkins & Tommy Emmanuel ~ The Day Finger Pickers Took Over The World (1997). I have no recollection of where I first heard this or from where I bought it but, of its ilk, it's still for me a magic album. Recorded in Nashville, TN.
---------------
Office system

Boney James ~ Backbone (1994). One of the great jazz/funk albums by a master of the genre from what was, for me, the golden era for this sort of stuff. It was a shame that when I saw him at Shepherds Bush with Rick Braun in 1998 they were too darned loud.
---------------
Home system

Midnight, Moonlight and Magic. The best of Henry Mancini.

John Klemmer ~ Brazilia (1979). A lovely album, probably my favourite of his. Support is provided by a host of LA's finest sessions men of the day and the recording still sounds as fresh as a daisy.
---------------
Home system

I'm a big fan of this man, a terrific blues harp player and talented vocalist. Always had top notch musicians in his band. This is probably my favourite album of his..

MI0001424768.jpg

R-3965706-1411428018-5878.jpeg.jpg

Vinyl.

d382d174a70732c4d42770891d2aeacf.805x800x1.jpg

Starting off with this on vinyl; sounding so good I think there will be one or two more Eagles albums played this evening.

Elton John ~ Don't Shoot Me....... (1972). Another magic album from that magical era. Or is it just that I was there at the time so it'll always be a magical era just for me and my contemporaries?
---------------
Office system

Supertramp - Crisis What Crisis, I forgot how good this and all/most of their other albums are.

Jethro Till - String Quartets and Bon Iver - 22, A Million Both on CD converted to 16bit FLAC lossless. The latter sounded mostly pretty terrible on my setup, particularly compared to the Tull album. I know they are completely different albums in particular instrument wise, but crikey the bon iver album had issues...

Last edited:
Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Sessions 1988 CD. Ambisonic UHJ decode on Meridian DSP G61RSL, Quad CD66 digital co-ax to the DSP then Quad amps to ESL63s (4 of). Marvellous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom