1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are typical wall mount install costs?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by UKseless1, Jul 11, 2005.

1. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I've been reading through these forums for ages now trying to decide on what plasma to buy. To date I've not yet decided what to buy (still enjoying the chase :D ) but I have decided that it needs to be on the wall.

Apart from a wall mount what are the other typical costs of installation (burying cables etc) and is it worthwhile having this done professionally?

What does a typical wall mount installation cost if it is done professionally?

Ta
    Phil

2. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,392
    I have no idea how much a pro install would cost but if you're reasonably proficient at the old diy, materials for the job shouldn't cost you more than 50 quid.

It really depends on what type of wall you have and if you need a seperate supply spur for it.

3. jamesr

jamesr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a plasterboard stud wall and did the work myself (with a friends help). All costs including building extra support in the wall came to about £30. Really happy with the result and not sure that a professional could have done a much better job

roger

4. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Leonardo da vinci painted the Mona Lisa with about a fivers worth of materials.
    I am good with a roller so i'll have a go. :D
    DIY costs are significantly cheaper than a pro's costs things such as liability insurance,staff wages ,vehicles etc.This is reflected in what they HAVE to charge nevermind the craftmanship they bring.

Right let's define install

1. Do you mean just hanging a plasma on a wall bracket ?
    2.Do you need power to it hidden in the wall that will meet all safety regs
    3. Do you need aerial signal to it? (do you have a good aerial in the first place)
    4. what other video signal cables do you need to send to it and do you want to hide the cables

well if you are not bothered about having trunking or tubes you can hide the cables in that.

Everyone thinks there DIY is the best !how many times have you been round to a friends house or relatives and found dodgy DIY that they think is brilliant but is poor.Of course yours wouldn't be like that!

Many here have done fantastic proffesional quality installs and are a credit to themselves and the AV enthusiast but be sure you don't bite off more than you can chew it is a fact that some people are better than others at things. for example taste my homemade bread or should i say bricks. :D

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £200 should cover a pro (i use the term loosely with some) coming out and haning kit you have got ie palsma and bracket where in the UK are you as we me be able to reconmend someone local

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Also note that 99% of professional installers, most particularly the 'good ones' ie CEDIA members, are also suppliers, and are unlikely to be keen on mounting someone else's plasma.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I see I've been edited. No breach of rules was intended, and I hope no pricing info was seen as a 'quote' in any shape or form, or even a tout for business. And the edit has altered the sense completely on the second point. Basically, don't just 'go shopping', if you are having an install. Find your installer, then sort the kit out. Maybe not all from him (sorry I know of no girl installers!), but make sure it's all going to work together.

8. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading the title of the thread it said "Typical wall mount"it got me thinking
    MAW how many times have you been told by a customer on the phone that its a very easy install and just a matter of hanging on a solid wall and everythings there for you
    To only find out when you get there to check it out that it is

1. on a partition wall built by an idiot with very few supports or dabbed wall with a massive cavity ?
    2. The power supply is on the other side of the room and there is no easy route?
    3. The aerial cable they want to connect to there plasma is a loft aerial (or just old or poorly wired)split with choc blocs or splitters etc and again is on the opposite corner of the room and then say well the picture was ok before when you know thats not possible.

4. The guy who asked you to fit the plasma is at work and his wife or partner has a completely different idea of what your going to do and is horrified that you may chase a wall.
    5.all the cables (normally over priced crud) that he has bought are too short or completely the wrong ones supplied by the shop he bought his gear from .

and then they say its not going to be more than £150 is it?! :mad:

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's why the comments about kit, jokes about install costs etc. You have to take control if you accept liability. The same principle as sitting in the drivers seat when driving, don't do it from the back when someone else is doing the throttle! All of the above is perfectly normal. It is got around in the CI business by a site survey and a proper proposal forming a contract.

10. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for the reply's folks. Like most people I'm driven to DIY by 2 factors, the Missus and the Money. I dislike DIY and do not profess to be any good at DIY but if forced by either of the 2 factors above I will curse and swear my way through most jobs.

To answer HD's question, I'm located in the Midlands, in a village near Redditch, 15 miles south of Birmingham.

The wall is a studded (dabbed?) wall but the cavity is not of the huge variety in a house which is approx 10 years old. It is above a gas fireplace. Power needs to be considered but there is a plug point about a metre and a half away from the base of the fireplace surround, as is the aerial point/sky etc.

I suppose a visit to a local installer/supplier would be a good idea especially as I still need to make the all important decision of what to buy to put on the wall. Once that decision is made I'd like to use the battered left overs of my wallet to put some sound in place.

11. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,392
    Right then, first question is. Is there anywhere else you can put it because above a gas fire is not really an ideal place for a screen for a number of reasons.

It's too high unless you can sit quite far away.
    The heat from the fire might be a problem.
    You may be drilling in to the flue for the fire when wall mounting.

It's not a major headache but may add extra costs on to the install.

Chasing the cable out should not be too hard with that sort of distance and dot and dab walls make replastering a lot easier.

12. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks Daerve,

Your points are noted.

Height starts at approx. 4.5 feet above ground.
    Viewing distance approx. 9 feet
    I've seen folks mounting there screens above there gas fire, how do I determine if the fire is going to be too hot?

I'll have to be careful about the flue but I don't see any alternate viewing position in the room unless I put it on a stand/table in the corner but then I don't see how I'm taking best advantage of the depth of the plasma (or lack thereof).

Phil

13. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,392
    In that case, first you need to get your wall mount and find out where it needs to go on the wall.

Mark your holes out then get some wooden batons that are as deep as the cavity minus the depth of your plasterboard.

If you can locate the flue at this point it might save a lot of replastering later.

The way I would then suggest is to cut out the plasterboard using your baton as a template. Then screw the batons directly to the blocks behind.

Screw the plasterboard you cut out earlier back in to the holes. Then a quick skim is all you need. You can then screw the mount straight to the batons with chipboard screws.

What type of fixings you'd need in the wall depends on what type of wall it is. Breeze block, thermalite, e.t.c.

14. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,392
    Sorry, forgot about the heat thing.

If you put one of those floating shelves under the plasma it should shield it from too much heat.

You could even put a heat reflective material under the shelf.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    We often manage to get the cables behind dabbed plasterboard, a stiff rod of some sort is needed. Well worth a shot, even if you still have to make the odd hole.

16. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    MAW - Think the cavity is really not deep enough for this but will try it initially. The gap will be better determined when I install the batons Daerve suggests.

Daerve - The fireplace surround incorporates a shelf so I presume that this will deflect much of the heat. Besides, we have central heating, why do we need to use the gas fire. Can you just imagine what the Better half would say to that :)

17. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Have you any pics, it sounds similar to mine:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15686

You can see I have chased out for the wires, quite easy as it is thermalite blocks, then covered them with plastic trunking to protect them when it is plastered. It is all then going to be skimmed and the fireplace is also going to be skimmed, £120 for the plastering.

You can also just make out the power cable, running seperately around the fireplace (grey cable) then down to the plug socket. This shold stop any interference.

I will definately be using the gas fire, I am not worried about the heat, plasmas will usually shut themselves down at 100f.

18. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mal, the tv looks awfully close to the fire!
    Im guessing on 700mm, i know corgi have specific rules for the placement of
    appliances next to gas burning fires , hobs etc.

an extractor has to be at least 750mm away from a hob!

it may be worth checking from a safety point and also an insurance point as you may not be covered .

Looks like you are making a good job of it :smashin: