What are these SUPERBITS like?

MJeeves

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a large DLP rear-projection set (55 inches) and wondered if anyone could tell me what the following SUPERBIT DVD's are like in comparison to their standard versions?

Region 1

Air Force One
Bad Boys
Charlie's Angeles (Superbit Deluxe)
Cliffhanger
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Hollow Man
Legends of the Fall
Patriot, The
Quick and the Dead, The
S.W.A.T
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Starship Troopers

Are the SUPERBITS better or wouldn't I notice the difference?

Thanks,
M.

Bad Boys is not different to the ce release the pic is sill disapointing.

Starsip troopers, both spidermans and cliffhanger are worth getting.

You notice the difference immediately on a large screen, Cliffhanger is vastly superior to the original region 1 release and has lots more detail and a sharper picture, Hollow Man is superb as is The Patriot ( picture quality not talking actual film which for me was a little bit of a disappointment, Charlies Angels is slightly better but not greatly improved upon as the original release looked good anyways but its worth upgrading for the dts track which sounds smoother and more controlled.

Superbit is a complete rip-off and EVERY title should have the same quality regardless of labelling, Columbia ( Sony ) filter the high frequencies of many of their 2.35:1 aspect ratio titles, the Superbit titles are unfiltered and thats where the extra detail and sharpness becomes visible when viewed on very large screens ( i watch my films using a Panasonic AE700 and 106 inch screen which takes up an entire wall of my living room )

I believe the original dvd standards are slightly broken with Superbit titles and you will never notice a dual layer changeover on a Superbit title which is another added benefit.

FoxyMulder said:
You notice the difference immediately on a large screen, Cliffhanger is vastly superior to the original region 1 release and has lots more detail and a sharper picture, Hollow Man is superb as is The Patriot ( picture quality not talking actual film which for me was a little bit of a disappointment, Charlies Angels is slightly better but not greatly improved upon as the original release looked good anyways but its worth upgrading for the dts track which sounds smoother and more controlled.

Superbit is a complete rip-off and EVERY title should have the same quality regardless of labelling, Columbia ( Sony ) filter the high frequencies of many of their 2.35:1 aspect ratio titles, the Superbit titles are unfiltered and thats where the extra detail and sharpness becomes visible when viewed on very large screens ( i watch my films using a Panasonic AE700 and 106 inch screen which takes up an entire wall of my living room )

I believe the original dvd standards are slightly broken with Superbit titles and you will never notice a dual layer changeover on a Superbit title which is another added benefit.

Thanks!
I've added the following SUPERBITS so far...

Dracula (1992)
Vertical Limit
Air Force One
Anaconda

on my shortlist are...

Spiderman
Starship Troopers
Charlies Angels
Hollow Man
Cliffhanger

Any others recommended?

I would also recommend The Mask of Zorro and of the ones on your list Vertical Limit is superb, for me Bram Stokers Dracula is a little disappointing for a superbit title, the sound quality is improved upon with the dts track but the picture quality in a few scenes is disappointing ( the graveyard visit to the now dead Lucy is disappointing regarding picture quality )

Most Superbits such as Cliffhanger not only contain unfiltered high frequencies which improve the picture quality but you also get less edge enhancement ( sometimes edge enhancement can still be there as is the case with Lawrence of Arabia which for me is a disappointing Superbit especially since i have now seen Ben Hur and its an older film with a more impressive picture on dvd ) Sony's mastering facilities seem to add edge enhancement for some reason to most of their titles ( take a look at Warners and you will notice they do not add it to their new titles )

I would recommend you simply buy the Superbit of all the titles you want as it will always be better than the bog standard release ( even if its just the dts soundtrack as in the case of Black Hawk Down )

Dont get Vampires, the transfer is not very good at all. Very grainy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom