1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what are the pros and cons

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by steve tyler, Jan 12, 2002.

1. steve tyler

steve tyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    of buying an imported x-box.I am new to gaming and would like to know before buying.thanx

2. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As opposed to waiting for a the UK release? Okay...

1. You get it now, plus games will be released earlier in the future too.
    2. It will cost the same, as the yanks get their consoles much cheaper than us. Sure you add on import duty and postage, but that about evens it out.
    3. Greater availability of games in the future. All major consoles in the past have had great games that have not been released in Europe. I doubt X-Box will be any exception.
    4. You are guaranteed games will run full screen and at full speed, without any borders or slowdown that some PAL releases suffer from. Even if all games were optimised for PAL, the frame rate would still be lower than NTSC.
    5. Games will have the option of Progressive scan and HDTV if you have the suitable equipment. Is has been rumoured that these features may be removed for the UK release as very few people have access to them (yet).

The only downside as I see it is that you can't just walk into a games shop and buy a game on impulse at normal price. There are import shops available, but the net is far, far cheaper.

3. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    i suppose one of the main ones I can think of is if something goes wrong with it. Sending it back to the states may be a simple process but could mean you are without your system for a number of weeks, even months. I am also toying with the idea of getting an american console, but I think instead of doing this Im going to wait and pick one up in the UK and then chip it. This means I get the best of both worlds, uk based console but the ability to either have an impulse buy day (uk based game or pay a little more from an import shop) or order from the net.

hope this helps,

nige

4. steve tyler

steve tyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    thanx for the info guys it was a great help.

5. trinity

trinity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am importing my consoles for years now. i don't have a single pal system here. never had any problems with it. import the console from the states, and buy the games from an import dealer in your city. so you have a connection if something goes wrong with your console and he will take care of it. well, at least this is my experience so far.

just my 2 cents

6. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Note that it took about two years for chip makers to crack the PS2. Mind you, it took people two hours to crack the US/Jap block on the GC :rolleyes:. You may or may not be in for a long wait with the X-Box. We'll know more maybe when the Jap machine is released shortly.

7. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Chipping the latest PS2s is a pain in the butt, especially as Sony are cracking down on the companies making them.