What are the metrics behind black levels?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by frannyz, Feb 16, 2014.

1. frannyz

frannyz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems like people will say "this LCD has really good black levels!" but others will then say "no LCD has black levels that compare to plasma." And now OLED has trumped them both.

But is it true that there are plasma with poor black levels? And what TVs have the best black levels and why do they have them? I'm looking for a recommendation based on that, thanks.

2. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Don't base the purchase of a TV solely on how black black is. There is so much more to a TV than that. What about the other colours? Are you not worried what they look like? The Sony W9 has very good black level but reports suggest that white can have a pink tint to it, are you ok with that? Nearly any TV can give great black level if you turn the brightness down but that is at the expense of all the other colours.

I watch a TV with generally poor black level but I only notice it on a black screen, for all other viewing when I am actually watching something I don't notice it.

So I suggest you do not only base a TV purchase on black levels otherwise you will discount the majority of TV's available.

Just my opinion, I am sure others will be along soon with their take on it.

David

3. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Black level is important but not at the expense of reduced shadow detail(where plasma rules). It is true some plasmas have lighter blacks compared to LCD, compare like for like on price though and plasma wins out.

Basically you want a good contrast ration(deepest black to brightest white)
    If you set either brightness or contrast to high thou you will lose detail, get it right on a good set and you'll get great depth and pop.

Colour is important too, as is greyscale, you want a set able to display a wide rang of colour and have good grey scale (basically the blank canvas all colour is applied to).

Priorities vary from person to person depending on needs, you may want/need good scaling, motion and smart.

Personally I think black level is very important, a uniform black level too.
    This is why Id go 1080p OLED over 4k LED LCD. Higher res is fine but if detail is lost as it is on LCD then it seems pointless to me, non uniformity is also a pet hate of mine.