What are the merits of a Auralex Subdude in my setup?

Justabod

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been tinkering lately with my set up and am trying to look at other half friendly measures to stop my Sub rattling the doors in our living room set up and tightening up the bass response. Unfortunately I can't sell acoustic panels to my other half (I wasn't surprised) so I have been looking at other measures and have been looking at the Auralex Subdude 2 as a solution to the bass issues.

Having previously moved the sub around the room to as many different positions as cables and furniture would allow, none of the positions stopped the doors rattling or the sense that I can improve the bass response in my set up. After looking at the Subdude and doing some research I think this could really help. What I can't find is any information for people with a sub like mine (which has opposing drivers) and if this is a worthwhile upgrade. Does anyone have any experience or opinion they can share please?

Any information would greatly appreciated, thank you.

I have a pair of these and whilst they are good at what they do they will not stop doors rattling. Draught excluder (thin) should stop any doors rattling in their frames.

If doors are specifically the problem, I’d look at getting a chippy involved.

If position is limited by cables (and you believe it’s affecting room rattle) have you looked at wireless systems? Eg SVS SoundPath wireless solution?

Have you measured response to understand if your room is the culprit (giving unwanted boost)? DSP might fix this.

Without knowing more it’s hard to advise, but I’d probably try and address the doors ability to rattle first.

Thank you both for your advice.

So a bit more information...
I have tried the sub across the entire front soundstage and there is no difference to the effect of rattling based on position. We currently rent our home so I am reluctant to get a chippy involved but as I am pretty handy myself I have checked the doors myself and they shut with no gap.

The idea of adding some thin draught excluder is great one as I think the doors are actually rattling top and bottom when the sub is in full effect. I fired it up last night and although the doors to shut tight the rattling is coming from the top and bottom as the low end really kicks in, you can feel it with your hand.

I haven't measured response though and this is something I haven't come across before, mac_monkey could you kindly explain?

I have carried out a thorough set up with 8 position Audyssey calibration and then adjusted the levels with my sound meter so that I have an even 75db output. I should also add that the sub is placed on two black granite chopping boards rather that placed directly on the wooden floor.

The idea of swapping out the sub to a wireless solution was something I considered but I am reluctant to go to that extra expense as normal living conditions really limit my choices for sub placement. A second sub was my only other thought so I could spread the sound out throughout the room and place one behind the seating position, that would have to be wireless though.

I think for now I'm going to get some thin draught excluder strips and see how it affects the rattling as it so distracting!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom